IGNORED

The Greatest Guitarist of All Time.

2 hours ago, firedog said:

You do realize that kind of vocalizing had been around for awhile before that: even Muhammad Ali was doing it in the early 60's with his poems/verses - and he didn't invent it. 

3 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

invented hip hop in 1969 ;) (!)

I'm not always 100% serious here..

Seems some must still get used to that ;)

2 hours ago, firedog said:

That said, one of the great things about Hendrix is that even his bad stuff was good. All those posthumously released tapes that he never meant to see the light of day - even much of the failures and noodling is pretty interesting and worth listening to. Simply really talented.

I agree in 700% ;);)

Actually I wouldn't use the word 'talented' in case of musicians like him, Miles, Trane or ..Bach etc 

I'd rather use the term 'genius' (without a wink this time). Saying that musicians like them were 'talented' IMO would be an offense if we take into account that we can say 'talented' about eg a kid in a music school, I understand that it is a trendy word now, though..

1 hour ago, barrows said:

whenever I listen to Hendrix I must say it is hard not to be saddened to think about what could have been had he survived the tumultuousness of youth.

Same here. I am extremely curious what would he and Coltrane do next.. Both loved music so much and one can hear it in every note they played..

1 hour ago, barrows said:

Given the connections between him and Miles Davis, it also seems inevitable that they would have made some music together.

As far as I know if Miles didn't want amount of money for which one could buy a couple of American states (;)) they would have played together. This is very interesting because Davis at that time was both very inspired by the music of Hendrix and he envied him the commercial success. It could have been not an easy encounter of a slight egomaniac like Davis. Anyway some elements of his fusion music and even his trumpet sound (wah wah use) and technique (sliding notes) wouldn't have happened without Jimi's influence. He even began to dress more like the flower power generation (but that was also due to the influence of Betty).

We all lost a musical future when Jimi passed.

Yes he was a showman, but he was a fanatic in the pursuit of his instrument and music.  He invested much of his newfound income into creating a recording studio of the future so he could control his art and offer a place for others to explore theirs.  All one needs to do is to listen to the tunes from his last album, Cry of Love like "Freedom" and "Night Bird", which are finely crafted, multi-tracked performances that take electric guitar to a new level.

Speaking of Miles, he used to ask his newly hired guitarists to drop the bebop and give him "some Jimi".

Jaco Pastorius, groundbreakingly lyrical bassist, perhaps the most influential in jazz in last 50 years once suggested that the one guitarist he believed could match him/keep up was Jimi.

Never heard the Lightning Rod tune above, cool vamp, but kept waiting for Jimi to take off.

Tone with Soul

15 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

As far as I know if Miles didn't want amount of money for which one could buy a couple of American states (;)) they would have played together. This is very interesting because Davis at that time was both very inspired by the music of Hendrix and he envied him the commercial success. It could have been not an easy encounter of a slight egomaniac like Davis. Anyway some elements of his fusion music and even his trumpet sound (wah wah use) and technique (sliding notes) wouldn't have happened without Jimi's influence. He even began to dress more like the flower power generation (but that was also due to the influence of Betty).

And let's not forget to credit  Tony Williams, brought much of the Hendrix/Rock influence to the attention of the band and spearheaded the incorporation of it into the music. 

A Hendrix/Williams collaboration would also have been very interesting. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 8 months later...

I mentioned brilliant Guthrie Govan twice here:

On 2/19/2017 at 2:47 PM, sphinxsix said:

Slightly off topic - Guthrie Govan won't make it to my top ten but since he's a real virtuoso player and not so popular one I'll post his two pieces here..

Playing fretless guitar.

"Wonderful Slippery Thing" jam (check out his slapping technique at the begining of the track!).

On 6/7/2019 at 11:29 PM, sphinxsix said:

Slightly but not entirely OT. I mentioned Guthrie Govan's name on this thread. Here is his tribute to 20 guitarists including many heroes of this thread. Written and recorded for the Winter 2005 edition of UK Guitar magazine 'Guitar Techniques' best players according to a readers poll:

Best chord voicings - Eric Johnson, Best use of capo - James Taylor, Best strumming - Pete Townsend, Best use of E-Bow or sustaining device - The Edge, Best vibrato - BB King, Best string bending - David Gilmour, Best finger picking - Mark Knopfler, Best hybrid picking - Albert Lee, Best tapping - Eddie Van Halen, Best palm muting - Al Di Meola, Best sweep picking - Yngwie Malmsteen, Best speed, Best alternate picking, Best string skipping - Paul Gilbert, Best pinched harmonics - Zakk Wylde, Best use of an effect - Tom Morello, Best legato - Satch, Best fretting hand reach, Best use of harmonics - Steve Vai, Best use of slide - Sonny Landreth, Best feel - Jeff Beck, Best timing - John Scofield, Most creative/experimental player, Best use of whammy bar, Overall winner - Jimi Hendrix. 

I've just finished watching this new video by Rick Beato. Guthrie doesn't scare me but I can easily understand that what he does may be scary for other guitarists..

• 1 month later...
On 9/15/2022 at 8:59 PM, Jud said:

Hendrix changed everything. Until then, instruments were just there to support vocals. Listen to early Beatles, Stones, go back to Elvis, Little Richard, Buddy Holly, forward to The Byrds, of course Dylan - it's all vocals forward, instruments backing. After Hendrix, every production, every mix changed. You can go back and listen and hear them change from Before Jimi to After Jimi. The concept of lead guitar or other lead instruments in rock was born then, and he's the one who did it.

Blues and Jazz players have been doing this all along. Then Frank Sinatra came along. 

• 7 months later...