IGNORED

Tidal Integration

99% of my listening is via Tidal streaming. I have been using an Apple laptop via USB into a DAC. Will acquiring a DAC or other component with built-in Tidal integration improve sound quality or listening experience e.g., Lumin or some other hardware components with built-in Tidal integration? I have a few systems with Ethernet and/or wifi connections. My home is Apple-centric. Thanks.

You don't mention what app you are using.

I don't use Tidal but Qobuz, but the result should be similar.

I find streaming with Audirvana+ Qobuz integration significantly better to the Qobuz desktop app.

You should try out A+ for free for a month (it's around €60 should you decide to buy) before you move to purchasing more expensive components.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

From the perspective of overall listening experience, Apple products work well together, and given that you have an Apple-centric home, you may be giving something up by moving away from using your computer as a source. (For example, perhaps you use your iPhone as a remote control?)

From the point of view of strictly sound quality, your USB connection is a source of noise and jitter. Some folks go to great lengths to clean it up (signal reclocking, isolated power supplies). Personally, I use my Mac as a source, and I run USB into a Peachtree X1 USB/SPIDF converter, which reclocks the signal, and then SPIDF from the converter to the DAC. However, all things being equal, cutting out the connection altogether by using a DAC that has Tidal integrated can only improve things further.

I'd start by making sure that you are happy with the Lumin UI (or whatever alternative you are considering). Assuming yes, go for it! If not, and if you are looking for ways to improve SQ, try adding a USB/SPIDF converter that includes a reclocking capability such as the Peachtree X1. Just make sure your DAC has a SPIDF input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In that case, you're already realizing most of the improvement to be had by reconstructing the USB signal. I think at this point you just need to compare your current setup against whatever new component you'd use that has Tidal built in and judge SQ for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Different DACs or players sound different, regardless of whether they have native support of Tidal or not.

As for Lumin native support of Tidal, it offers the following functional benefits:

1. Gapless playback of lossless Tidal

2. Upconversion to DSD if desired

3. Mixing of Tidal and user's own music into the same playlist

4. iPad can be offline if necessary

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

I have the same(?) but slightly different approach.My mac mini no longer is connected to the ethernet-the ethernet connection is from an arris router to a new apple timecapsule(2tb). But my my mac is connected by USB and mini TOSLINK from the phone output(on the mac) to a USB and TOSLINK in on my Schiit Gungnir. I really can't tell a difference in SQ either with A+2 or ROON(if and when I click the right combos of zones) with either the optical output or the USB on the Gungnir. I just don't understand where the music is actually coming from WiFI or from the mac yet A+ interface says it is 15/44 flac upsampled to 192000 on A+(or 96000 if I use Schiit FULLA into the mac) and ROON says the signal path is all lossless with blue gray star from TIDAL or iTunes library with or without HQP. By the way I also listen to Qobuz from desktop app and via A+2.

All in all to me there is no SQ difference now and no different then before I changed everything(ie the ethernet cable went from router to the mac) with apple timecapsule-it may even sound 'better' definitely not worse ie no dropouts no static and it's pretty much gapless/seamless.