IGNORED

Favorite DAC - PCM

I wonder if this applies to the new Holo Spring Dac.

It's a NOS DAC, isn't it? Then yes the same applies with it too...

I mean upsampling is St Peter's thing with XXhighend and his NOS dac. And it works very well in this combination according to all who follow.

I do the same with HQPlayer plus my DSC1 DAC, the only difference is that DSC1 is DSD-only and no DAC chips.

Currently I find Linux wtfplay through my Benchmark DAC2 no upsampling sounds excellent compared to XXhighend.

Benchmark DAC2 (just like DAC1 and DAC3 too) internally upsample, so it's a different thing.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I would like to recommend the Lindemann Musicbook. It is a german craftmanship. Internal DAC is the AKM4490. I heard the unit on two exhibitions here in Europe, together with Manger Audio speakers. The sound (in my opinion) is the reference in tonality and truthness.

In the upper range it is absolutely clean and sweet at the same time. Room illusion is great. Bass is not boomy but controlled. Overall the sound is not thin, but mellow with great dynamics and very good air. In my opinion it has the best of everything, you could say: analogue like.

On top, it has a nice feature: It can upsample all inputs to DSD, which brings sound quality to the next level :) This upsamling helps good SQ recording and those standard discs are totally listenable now. :)

First I was on your side, that I do not need any DSD, but I need it!

http://www.lindemann-audio.de/

Of course this is all totally subjective, but in the end I searched some long time and the Musicbook was the winner and I bought it. BelCanto is very good too, and maybe Cord.

Bernhard

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

If you don't own a pair of Mangers then I find it hard to believe that the sound you are describing is that of the DAC.

In my opinion and experience, the only equipment that we can evaluate at shows is the speakers (which will be performing better or worse depending on placement and amplification).

Show reports describing the sound of electronics are pure fantasy...

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Show reports describing the sound of electronics are pure fantasy...

R

You are absolutely right in general. I'd never give very much on a first impression of an audio show.

Let me explain:

I wanted to point out, that the said DAC is sounding very well in different chains. And of course it should be a confirmation, that a very well sounding chain always consists of well sounding components.

Last but not least over the years I heard the Mangers in some different situations. It never sounded identical of course, but it was always possible to hear its distinct qualities. For me it is one of the most real and transparent speaker systems.

You can trust me, I would hear a not adequate source unit.

The description of the DAC is based on my experience in my own system in comparison to other DAC's.

Bernhard