IGNORED

Favorite DAC - PCM

Based on the price range you seem to be looking at the Codex would have to be in the auditions. Personally I've heard the others and feel the Codex is better but that's my ears and in my system. It's a DAC that punches well above its price range I feel. Still lots of strong choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Thank you ctsooner, if possible, could you briefly describe what you think the Codex excels at? How does it fare with not-so-pristine recordings?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Hardware:

JCAT NET Card FEMTO -> SOtM tX-USBexp -> iFi iUSB 3.0 > iFi Gemini USB -> Schiit Yggdrasil -> Emotiva Stealth DC-1 (temporary preamp) -> Airmotiv 4s

Software:

Fidelizer Pro 7.3 -> Tidal -> Roon

Like all air gear it is awesome in the liquid meds and upper range is it will give you It's a very dynamic deck with the micro and macro cues it will give you. It's just very musical and has a low noise floor. They designed it to be much more expensive so If you look inside you will see expensive components

Like all air gear it is awesome in the liquid meds and upper range is it will give you It's a very dynamic deck with the micro and macro cues it will give you. It's just very musical and has a low noise floor. They designed it to be much more expensive so If you look inside you will see expensive components

That sounds like what I'm looking for, do you think it is geared towards any specific genres or more of an all-around great performer? Based on all the recommendations I've gotten for the Codex, it's in my top 3 to test out.

Hardware:

JCAT NET Card FEMTO -> SOtM tX-USBexp -> iFi iUSB 3.0 > iFi Gemini USB -> Schiit Yggdrasil -> Emotiva Stealth DC-1 (temporary preamp) -> Airmotiv 4s

Software:

No, like all good gear it's just a good product that has great engineering behind it. I always wonder why folks say certain amps or DAC's are geared for one thing or another. A well built and designed piece should be strong and coherent through the whole spectrum. I have a new QX5 that is broken in now and it's strong from top to bottom. The Codex came first and they do have a similar sound and that's musical with tons of layers of micro and macro detail. You turn it on and listen for hours. Let it burn in and keep it in standby so you don't need warm up daily and you'll be happy. It won't stand out with sparkling highs or thunderous lows. It just gets things right and over time you realize that it's giving you all the detail that's there, but the pace and rhythm are there also. I've had it in my own system and was impressed and I've heard it many times with Vandersteen 7 mk 2 and Ayre reference mono blocks and it's still getting better and better. I've had a Benchmark and Mytek Manhattan (better than the Brooklyn) in the same system and they just didn't do it for any of us who were auditioning. Again, that's my ears and a few others, lol., but it's hard to beat Charles Hansen's designs and implementation as he has a large team of digital experts and then throw in Hansen's ability to do analog correctly and you have a winning product. Many of us have posted about how it's blown away the similarly priced NAD DAC as well as the Masters series DAC they have. I personally have heard it up against the Berkley Alpha mk 1 DAC and liked the Codex better. The Berkley was very very good and their mk 2 is even better, but the Codex is right there even with the MK2 I was told by a dealer who sells both and makes much more money on the Berkley,but he sells as many Codex's as anyone around. It's just a special value and the reviews even say so (I'm not a huge review guy unless I know the reviewer, lol). Again, JMHO, but you need to at least listen. Do you have a dealer near you?

That sounds like what I'm looking for, do you think it is geared towards any specific genres or more of an all-around great performer? Based on all the recommendations I've gotten for the Codex, it's in my top 3 to test out.

ctsooner,

Thank you for your valuable input. I've heard many times that the Codex is a truly special DAC that can compete with models many times higher in cost. I'm lucky enough to live in NYC, so I have a few reputable dealers not too far from where I live. I'll start tracking down the Codex in the very near future, I can't wait to test it out. I'm sure I'll be astounded at the sound it produces.

Hardware:

Software:

ctsooner, Thank you for your valuable input. I've heard many times that the Codex is a truly special DAC that can compete with models many times higher in cost. I'm lucky enough to live in NYC, so I have a few reputable dealers not too far from where I live. I'll start tracking down the Codex in the very near future, I can't wait to test it out. I'm sure I'll be astounded at the sound it produces.

My audio dealer is one of the most respected in the Northeast. He is over the moon for the Codex, and can't keep them in stock. I'm considering one myself, although I have not demo'ed it yet.

Just be advised that it is optimized for balanced output, whether that be through the dual, PONO-style 3.5mm headphone jacks, or the 3-pin XLR plugs on the back. So, if your stereo amp does not have balanced inputs, check with your dealer first regarding compatibility. If you are planning to use it with headphones, consider upgrading to an aftermarket balanced cable.

Optimized, yes, however I've run it single ended to see how it sounds and it's still outstanding and better than others out there in the price range. I haven't gotten balanced headphone cables yet and the amp was also outstanding. It's just one of those pieces that is well designed overall. Balanced mode???? Yes, WOW....Single ended, still wow, just not WOW. Did that make sense? lol.....

My audio dealer is one of the most respected in the Northeast. He is over the moon for the Codex, and can't keep them in stock. I'm considering one myself, although I have not demo'ed it yet.

Just be advised that it is optimized for balanced output, whether that be through the dual, PONO-style 3.5mm headphone jacks, or the 3-pin XLR plugs on the back. So, if your stereo amp does not have balanced inputs, check with your dealer first regarding compatibility. If you are planning to use it with headphones, consider upgrading to an aftermarket balanced cable.

Is that Johnny at Audio Connection in Verona, NJ? He sells a ton of Ayre gear. He even has a cool stand for the Codex that he has made. Hand made out of figured woods and really makes it look like a much more expensive unit.

I rely on my Pacific Microsonics Model Two for the best PCM recording and playback. Mostly I am in 192/24, which requires dual wire AES. Very hard to find and not cheap - and the dual wire is one more complication. Only a couple hundred were built for studio use, but the search and inconvenience was worth it for me. Head on beats the Berkeley Reference DAC and DAC2 IMHO. Mine was found at Warner Bros studios in LA.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

The Benchmark DACis not just tonally colorless, but sterile and washed out. Not only does it not add coloration, but it bleaches everything with its particular grayness. I suspect it is the ASRC...

This DAC is primarily designed for the recording industry, so your comments could be construed to being good as inert and tonally colourless. One wants a component that reveals all but adds nothing to it. I personally find it reveals easily what you put through it and exposes recording quality brutally. Unfortunately your favourite music may not be as satisfying as a result. Excellent recordings are stunning and poor are still listenable. I use the DAC2 as preamp and feed 3 sources into it. Keep the chain short as possible is the aim.

In saying that it appears NOS DACS do have a sound that has an edge over others.

All though I don't own one, the Phasure NOS Dac is certainly in the competition for great sounding especially matched with XXhighend software. In terms of dedicated PCM playback its up there. No preamp and all sound adjustments including volume are done in the software. Great for dedicated audio stereo playback system.

Robert

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

All though I don't own one, the Phasure NOS Dac is certainly in the competition for great sounding especially matched with XXhighend software. In terms of dedicated PCM playback its up there. No preamp and all sound adjustments including volume are done in the software. Great for dedicated audio stereo playback system.

Robert

Most definitely. The Phasure NOS DAC with the XXHighEnd Stealth LPS PC/Software combo is amongst the top performers as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

wwaldmanfan,

Absolutely, I strongly prefer the sound of balanced output, overall much better channel separation imho.

Hardware:

Software:

I rely on my Pacific Microsonics Model Two for the best PCM recording and playback. Mostly I am in 192/24, which requires dual wire AES. Very hard to find and not cheap - and the dual wire is one more complication. Only a couple hundred were built for studio use, but the search and inconvenience was worth it for me. Head on beats the Berkeley Reference DAC and DAC2 IMHO. Mine was found at Warner Bros studios in LA.

Larry

Wow, I can only imagine the sound that unit produces, any chance you could describe how the sound produced is unique?

Hardware:

Software:

The Benchmark DACis not just tonally colorless, but sterile and washed out. Not only does it not add coloration, but it bleaches everything with its particular grayness. I suspect it is the ASRC...

Very interesting, do you think ASRC in general takes away from the tone of music playback or just specifically on the Benchmark DAC?

Hardware:

Software:

Is that Johnny at Audio Connection in Verona, NJ? He sells a ton of Ayre gear. He even has a cool stand for the Codex that he has made. Hand made out of figured woods and really makes it look like a much more expensive unit.

Yes, John Rutan. Those wood bases are really nice, since the DAC stands on end. I think he gets around $85 for them, although I bet he'd throw it in with the sale of a Codex if you ask, because that's the kind of guy he is.

I asked about the Codex a few days ago. Right now, they have just two on order, and no ETA from Ayre.

Depends on what DAC and what source. ASRC can help a lesser source, or negate a better one.

Very interesting, do you think ASRC in general takes away from the tone of music playback or just specifically on the Benchmark DAC?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Depends on what DAC and what source. ASRC can help a lesser source, or negate a better one.

well said

Hardware:

Software:

A few weeks/months back I compared the Schiit MG and the Metrum Musette. I preferred the Schiit but I can understand why others would prefer the Metrum. Both DACs are good but different.

I even heard of someone who preferred the Musette over the more expensive Menuet. The Musette is a more simple design with fewer parts compared to the Menuet. From what I understood is that even though the Menuet is more "audiophile" the Musette has a certain charm to it, more musical?

On of the designers/owners of Schiit Audio also prefers their Gungnir Multibit over the Yggdrasil in his set. Most likely for the same reason. The Yggy is more detailed, but not everyone like that.

[br]

Well Jean Benchmark have just announced this week a new DAC3 with new chips that's a big upgrade over the DAC2.

But I have discovered this Chinese DAC and does it look good or what, also has latest ESS chips like Benchmark DAC3:

GUSTARD DAC-X20 Pro Super Ultimate 2 x ES9028Pro XMOS HiFi DAC 384KHz DSD DOP Decoder. Looks good and price is amazing I'm considering buying this one. You have inspired me.

Well Jean Benchmark have just announced this week a new DAC3 with new chips that's a big upgrade over the DAC2.

But I have discovered this Chinese DAC and does it look good or what, also has latest ESS chips like Benchmark DAC3:

GUSTARD DAC-X20 Pro Super Ultimate 2 x ES9028Pro XMOS HiFi DAC 384KHz DSD DOP Decoder. Looks good and price is amazing I'm considering buying this one. You have inspired me.

Well, how about the the Chinese Holo Spring R2R DAC ?

Maybe even better ? Have got extremely good feedback.

Well, how about the the Chinese Holo Spring R2R DAC ?

Maybe even better ? Have got extremely good feedback.

The Gustard and Holo Spring Kitsune look like really fab equipment for the price. I skimmed over an interview of the Holo designers and it appears they're quite meticulous in their design.

The prices of fantastic DACs next year is going to sometimes look silly!

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels