IGNORED

Building a Vinyl ripping PC - Advice requested

Hello all

I am putting together a PC for the sole purpose of ripping vinyl records and possibly performing de-clicking or other static removal.

I have iZotope RX5 Audio editor software to install on a optimized Windows 10 x64 system

What I am wondering is if the ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Gene motherboard is up to the task of capturing audio with it's built-in sound?

Board is here: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII GENE LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Gaming Motherboard - Newegg.com

The audio features are: ESS ES9023P DAC, Nichicon Caps, High precision clock source

I plan on using either the Samsung M.2 950 Pro or the new M.2 960 Pro SSD for local storage

Power supply will be an eVGA P2 Platinum 650 watt power supply

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2 220-P2-0650-X1 80+ PLATINUM 650W Fully Modular EVGA ECO Mode Includes FREE Power On Self Tester Power Supply-Newegg.com

I am leaning toward the i7 6700K CPU but I am tempted to wait for the i7 7700K CPU to be released SOON.

Keep in mind the ONLY thing I will use this for is vinyl ripping, no web browsing, no music playback.

I have a whole other i7 system + i3 NAA + DAC + DDC for playback.

How good does the capture device need to be? Do I need something to capture in DSD instead?

Ideally you want an external ADC. That will make much more difference (IMO) than any computer hardware choices. A stand alone recorder would perhaps be better especially if you have a computer elsewhere to do editing on - the Tascam DA3000 for instance or at lower cost / quality a Korg MR2 or something like a Roland.

Read my thoughts on vinyl transcription Thoughts about digitising vinyl... - Blogs - Computer Audiophile

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I went ahead and purchased a Tascam DA-3000 for $635 + SH

This looks like a well designed recording solution. I have read much praise for the DA-3000.

It's cheaper than the dedicated $1000 i7 based computer solution I was on the way to building.

I'll order a pair of 32gb SDHC and CF cards to record to and I should be good to go.

Thanks for the insight Audio_ELF.

I think this is much more elegant solution.

• 2 weeks later...