IGNORED

The End of America?

kilroy

No, the new UK anti-Semites are very specific in their racism...

Pet peeve of mine.

There is no such thing as racism. Only discrimination. There are no separate human races. On a biological level there is not enough distinction to speak of separate races.

[br]

Pet peeve of mine.

There is no such thing as racism. Only discrimination. There are no separate human races. On a biological level there is not enough distinction to speak of separate races.

I'm going to vote that there's really a thing called race and it plays a big part in society. If we lived on Pangea and there were a couple hundred thousand of us, then I'd buy your point of view.

Wikipedia:

Race is the classification of humans into groups based on physical traits, ancestry, genetics or social relations, or the relations between them.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I wonder if people actually believe that Trump could build a wall along the Mexican border and make Mexico pay for it or ban all muslims from entering the US, or if they just like the cut of his jib when he says stuff like that.

I find either option reprehensible.

There is no such thing as racism. Only discrimination. There are no separate human races. On a biological level there is not enough distinction to speak of separate races.(edit)

Although you are correct, I like the term racism, it has a more hateful connotation than discrimination.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

HADES

Why we build the wall, my children, my children?

Why do we build the wall?

CROWD

Why do we build the wall?

We build the wall to keep us free

That's why we build the wall

HADES

How does the wall keep us free, my children, my children?

How does the wall keep us free?

CROWD

How does the wall keep us free?

The wall keeps out the enemy

And we build the wall to keep us free

HADES

Who do we call the enemy, my children, my children?

Who do we call the enemy?

CROWD

Who do we call the enemy?

The enemy is poverty

And the wall keeps out the enemy

HADES

Because we have and they have not, my children, my children

Because they want what we have got

CROWD

Because we have and they have not

Because they want what we have got

The enemy is poverty

And the wall keeps out the enemy

HADES

What do we have that they should want, my children, my children?

What do we have that they should want?

CROWD

What do we have that they should want?

We have a wall to work upon

We have work and they have none

And our work is never done

My children, my children

And the war is never won

The enemy is poverty

HADES & CROWD

The wall keeps out the enemy

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

I wonder if people actually believe that Trump could build a wall along the Mexican border and make Mexico pay for it or ban all muslims from entering the US, or if they just like the cut of his jib when he says stuff like that.

Building a wall, while expensive is something the US should be able to manage (getting Mexico to pay is a different story.) Actually securing it is where it gets really tricky. Just ask the East Germans who managed to successfully build and run one for 40 years. And this was a border that wasn't in the middle of unpopulated desert.

And whether anybody believed him, not sure. Pre election polls clearly showed that Trump had a strong base among the poorly educated, which may have taken him seriously, but this doesn't get you elected.

I guess many others just voted for anything but Hillary, for a number of reasons.

I'm going to vote that there's really a thing called race and it plays a big part in society. If we lived on Pangea and there were a couple hundred thousand of us, then I'd buy your point of view.

Wikipedia:

Race is the classification of humans into groups based on physical traits, ancestry, genetics or social relations, or the relations between them.

Human race distinction is pure a social distinction and not a biological one.

"Essentially, I could not agree more with the authors," said Svante Pääbo, a biologist and director of the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Germany, who worked on the Neanderthal genome but was not involved with the new paper.

"What the study of complete genomes from different parts of the world has shown is that even between Africa and Europe, for example, there is not a single absolute genetic difference, meaning no single variant where all Africans have one variant and all Europeans another one, even when recent migration is disregarded," Pääbo told Live Science. "It is all a question of differences in how frequent different variants are on different continents and in different regions."

[br]

People wanted change. They see Hillary, right or wrong, as a morally bankrupt Wall Street Washington insider. Hillary supporters see Trump as a Populist, certifiably insane time bomb. Maybe change will come and two new, well meaning parties will emerge.

There is definitely racism and discrimination in America. A good read is What Does It Mean To Be White? by Robin DiAngelo and The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander. Both full of eye-opening research.

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

Well on the plus side...at least us Brits won't be at the back of the queue/line come Jan 20th. And his mother came from the Isle of Lewis (I was surprised to read).

Building a wall, while expensive is something the US should be able to manage (getting Mexico to pay is a different story.) Actually securing it is where it gets really tricky. Just ask the East Germans who managed to successfully build and run one for 40 years. And this was a border that wasn't in the middle of unpopulated desert.

And whether anybody believed him, not sure. Pre election polls clearly showed that Trump had a strong base among the poorly educated, which may have taken him seriously, but this doesn't get you elected.

I guess many others just voted for anything but Hillary, for a number of reasons.

Musicophile,

"strong base among poorly educated"

Who are you referring to? Blue collar white people? Blue collar white people in America have always been supporters of Democrats as a huge percentage of them are union people. I know it has been a good rationalization to defer the reason for Brexit to the "poorly educated" but not the case here. In fact, if we are going to be really honest about the demographics in America no one got more "poorly educated" votes than Hillary.

Building a wall, while expensive is something the US should be able to manage (getting Mexico to pay is a different story.) Actually securing it is where it gets really tricky. Just ask the East Germans who managed to successfully build and run one for 40 years. And this was a border that wasn't in the middle of unpopulated desert. (edit)

Hey I live in Arizona, screw the wall, I would be happy if they fixed the potholes in the roads.....

Honestly, I think Mr. Trump got quite a few votes from people who are fed up with the so called political class. Many articles today about how isolated the New York - Washington DC - Los Angeles axis has become from the rest of the country.

I don't think there is a solution to this isolation. (Joe Jackson said it best: Everything gives you cancer, there's no cure, there's no answer.)

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Ah, I get what you're saying. But discrimination is a pure social concept as well.

My hope is that if we educate enough people world wide that there is only one "human race" that racism or discrimination will dwindle. The same goes for sexism. The biological part of sex is not all that interesting. It is the social part that is messed up. If people love each other then what does the biological sex matter. And apparently there is a whole array of love options available.

Ranging for asexual to pansexual. As long as no one gets hurt anyone can get married to anyone (over 18).

[br]

Musicophile,

"strong base among poorly educated"

Who are you referring to? Blue collar white people? Blue collar white people in America have always been supporters of Democrats as a huge percentage of them are union people. I know it has been a good rationalization to defer the reason for Brexit to the "poorly educated" but not the case here. In fact, if we are going to be really honest about the demographics in America no one got more "poorly educated" votes than Hillary.

I'm simply referring to "formal" education, as for example in this article, not implying any further judgment than that:

Education Level Emerges as Sharp Dividing Line in Clinton-Trump Race - Bloomberg Politics

By the way, we see the same thing in Europe these days, blue collar workers who used to vote for more left wing parties and often tend to be on the losing side of Globalization are lured by "simple" messages by populist, often right wing politicians. Trump did the same and said he'll bring back jobs from China, Vietnam etc. by protectionist measures. Whether that has ever been effective anywhere in the long run is a totally different question.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,

Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit

Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,

Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Again, no citation. Get thee with semente.

I have great respect for your viewpoint. You are sitting in Luxembourg and in a much better position to comment on this issue. Here in the US we read that many Jewish families have left France due to antisemitism. I find it difficult to believe that someone would decamp from the leafy environs of the 16th Arondisement (sp) because of immigrant muslims on the outskirts of Paris.

Well I am sitting in the 16th and am Jewish and can tell you that antisemitism in France is still strong. Many Muslims are perfectly fine with Jews, and even understand now the way they feel, as they are themselves subject to the same type of intolerance.

I know many people who have left or are thinking of leaving.

There is a general "malaise" in France. Just wait until the next elections, when Marine LePen, who was the first foreign political party leader to congratulate Trump, will go to the second turn of the elections...

I'm simply referring to "formal" education, as for example in this article, not implying any further judgment than that:

Education Level Emerges as Sharp Dividing Line in Clinton-Trump Race - Bloomberg Politics

By the way, we see the same thing in Europe these days, blue collar workers who used to vote for more left wing parties and often tend to be on the losing side of Globalization are lured by "simple" messages by populist, often right wing politicians. Trump did the same and said he'll bring back jobs from China, Vietnam etc. by protectionist measures. Whether that has ever been effective anywhere in the long run is a totally different question.

I understand the narrative you are making. The point I am making is here in America, it is a false narrative, which most of us knew would be the rationalizaton the "day after".

For some reason many people like to denigrate the Trump white voter in this manner (and the white vote in general) by claiming they are poorly educated, uninformed, etc. The truth is as I was alluding to and you missed my point, Hillary's demographic, where she carried the majority of Black and Hispanic voters (always a firm base of the Democratic party), as a group, have less "formal education" but for some reason if one points that out, you are a racist.