IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 2.6

jtm

I have found a method to enable Direct Mode again... on A+ forum...

I edited it a bit for more easier doing it...

i included in the .ZIP the Read Me file, the .ktext of El Capitan and the Sierra one just in case.

I just did it myself, it is not long maybe 15 mins... Having a backup done if you don't have one is longer :-)

It worked for me, now Direct Mode is on and no bug in A+... i'm already on 10.12.2b3...

I wrote everything to be easy for not computer people to do it...

It weights nothing... download it and read it first, than see if you are not worry :-)

In my dropbox: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19274252/AudirvanaSierraDirectMode.zip

AT YOUR OWN RISK...

Thank you - I can't run Sierra on my old MacBook Pro, but it is very kind of you to do this for other forum members.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I have been experiencing this issue for well over a year.. if not two. I've mentioned it rather frequently - especially when others had similar problems.

It happens 90%+ with the first track loaded.

It appears to be related to RAM buffering. It only seems to happen when I'm upsampling. Keeping the RAM buffer used for A+ under 1gb seems to reduce the issue, but not solve it. Pausing playback until the first track has loaded helps too (but it can still stall when I do that). Enabling the 5sec delay between tracks doesn't really help.

My old 2010 mini has 8gb RAM. So that may be why I get it more than others.

Suggestion

In the suggestions thread, I mentioned that it might help if A+ only started playback after the first two tracks have fully loaded.

Doing this manually on my headless mini is rather cumbersome. Plus, I don't know whether the tracks have actually been loaded.

So an automatic solution - that can be enabled or disabled in settings would be great.

Hello Damien

In my case, it only happens when I add to existing queue.

For example if I am listening to an album on Tidal and during listening I decide to add a song to playlist to play next, it usually does not play the last few seconds. On computer I actually see that the progress bar is not fully loaded leaving a gap at the end. To fix I need to press stop and play again to reload the song and then it will be OK.

I have not checked my memory setting to see if it would fix this issue.

2 Channel: Mac mini with Audirvana + & A+ Remote -> Netgear AC170 -> microRendu -> Chord Mojo -> oppo HA-1 -> Arcam  P49 -> B&W 804 D3

5 Channel: Apple TV/Sony XBR-65A9G -> Rotel RSP-1098 -> oppo HA-1 (bypass) -> Arcam P49 -> B&W 804 D3 (L/R), Arcam P349 -> B&W 804 D3 (C), B&W 805 D3 (RR/LR)

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by RunHomeSlow viewpost-right.png

I still have occasionnally a song that stop at 2 seconds at the end... I have to move the slider to the right to continu playing the CD in order.

On this one, if someone finds a pattern to reproduce this with certainty, this will be very useful...

Hello Damien,

I may have found a pattern NOT to reproduce it :-)

Yesterday i replace the extension in Sierra to make Direct Mode On again... All is playing good, i'm pretty happy.

I did notice that now that i don't have the Large Audio Core Buffer in the pref panel on since i use now Direct Mode and i move back my memory slider from 1024mb to 12 800mb like before, i didn't have ANY song not been counted when finished playing and the line up in the window for transport NEVER had not finished at the end... been listening yesterday all night and now this morning also... maybe 12 full CD since... All songs are counted and all buffering lines goes to the end now. Also the line while buffering a song stays the same grey color all the way through, before if i remember, the grey change to another paler grey like it was not done in one shot.

So those 2 bugs may have something to do with the Large Buffer Audio Core that isn't enough big??

I'm still upsampling all to DSD128 with 16gb of memory. A+ still use 250% of my cpu while buffering songs but when it is done, it goes to 0% cpu usage... it is stable like in the picture... For the buffer window at the bottom (5 mins time window) it is always at 250% for 2 mins around then rest for 3 mins at 0% usage, then back at 250% for 2 to 2.5 mins then rest for 2.5 to 3 mins, and on and on.

Hope it helps you finding solution :-)

Snapz.jpg

Snapz2.jpg

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

I don't how software works and manage memory, but why A+ don't max out on how many Gb of ram i have...

it could use more, then maybe it will cache faster and then rest longer at low level cpu usage...

Snapz001.jpg

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

I don't how software works and manage memory, but why A+ don't max out on how many Gb of ram i have...

it could use more, then maybe it will cache faster and then rest longer at low level cpu usage...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30842[/ATTACH]

Your computer needs some of that RAM to run the operating system. It would do A+ no good to hog all the RAM on a non-working computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Select DSD64 and DSD128 songs/albums from various sources. Here are screenshots of two. The Remote shows the actual time while the player shows the truncated time:

[ATTACH]30682[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]30683[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]30684[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]30685[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Am I the only person having this issue? I updated to the most current beta - same deal with truncation. 2.5.4 works with no issues on the same songs/albums. Again, these files are from various sources - Acoustic Sounds, Blue Coast Records, Channel Classics, vinyl rips of my own converted to DSD.

Am I the only person having this issue? I updated to the most current beta - same deal with truncation. 2.5.4 works with no issues on the same songs/albums. Again, these files are from various sources - Acoustic Sounds, Blue Coast Records, Channel Classics, vinyl rips of my own converted to DSD.

I had the issue in an early beta with two files upsampled offline, but never since.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Your computer needs some of that RAM to run the operating system. It would do A+ no good to hog all the RAM on a non-working computer.

Yes i know but out of 16gb, it can leaves 4gb for Sierra and A+ could use 8, 10 or 12gb since it is a dedicated mac mini for music only... Like with Photoshop where you can give him more or less ram if you have some spare...

Hello Damien,

I had a crash.

I have a Tidal playlist that is very long. I was browsing it using A+ remote and A+ crashed. I remember having the same issue before but that was fixed with Ver. 2.5.

See below:

11/19/16 5:50:45.047 PM iTunesHelper[385]: _SubscribeForMuxNotifications (thread 0x7fff7cde7000): USBMuxListenerCreate: Connection refused11/19/16 5:50:46.437 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.audirvana.Audirvana-Plus.6752[624]) Service exited due to signal: Illegal instruction: 4

11/19/16 5:50:46.451 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.ReportCrash[738]) Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs. Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in(): com.apple.ReportCrash11/19/16 5:50:46.505 PM ReportCrash[738]: Metadata.framework [Error]: couldn't get the client port11/19/16 5:50:46.505 PM ReportCrash[738]: DebugSymbols was unable to start a spotlight query: spotlight is not responding or disabled.11/19/16 5:50:47.047 PM iTunesHelper[385]: _SubscribeForMuxNotifications (thread 0x7fff7cde7000): USBMuxListenerCreate: Connection refused11/19/16 5:50:49.048 PM iTunesHelper[385]: _SubscribeForMuxNotifications (thread 0x7fff7cde7000): USBMuxListenerCreate: Connection refused11/19/16 5:50:49.457 PM ReportCrash[738]: Saved crash report for Audirvana Plus[624] version 2.5.99.13 (2.5.99.13) to /Users/mazuly/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Audirvana Plus_2016-11-19-175049_Maziars-Mac-mini.crash

2 Channel: Mac mini with Audirvana + & A+ Remote -> Netgear AC170 -> microRendu -> Chord Mojo -> oppo HA-1 -> Arcam  P49 -> B&W 804 D3

5 Channel: Apple TV/Sony XBR-65A9G -> Rotel RSP-1098 -> oppo HA-1 (bypass) -> Arcam P49 -> B&W 804 D3 (L/R), Arcam P349 -> B&W 804 D3 (C), B&W 805 D3 (RR/LR)

Thanks RunHomeSlow!

This works for me :)

One thing I noted was that when running the Onyx disk permissions repair, I needed to disable AV scanning.

I have found a method to enable Direct Mode again... on A+ forum...

I edited it a bit for more easier doing it...

i included in the .ZIP the Read Me file, the .ktext of El Capitan and the Sierra one just in case.

I just did it myself, it is not long maybe 15 mins... Having a backup done if you don't have one is longer :-)

It worked for me, now Direct Mode is on and no bug in A+... i'm already on 10.12.2b3...

I wrote everything to be easy for not computer people to do it...

It weights nothing... download it and read it first, than see if you are not worry :-)

In my dropbox: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19274252/AudirvanaSierraDirectMode.zip

AT YOUR OWN RISK...

Thanks RunHomeSlow!

This works for me :)

One thing I noted was that when running the Onyx disk permissions repair, I needed to disable AV scanning.

Cool, glad it helps you :-)

Unfortunately this will be far from an easy task as this is due to another "security" measure of Apple in Sierra: they have closed the direct access to any process no developed by Apple to IOAudioFamily using a private entitlement mechanism.

You can tell Apple about this being a real issue ( bugreport.apple.com ). Maybe with lots of similar reports Apple will start to think this is maybe a good idea to listen and start to look into this...

So I've done that, and got the following reply:

"There are no plans to address this based on the following:

We’re not going to change this. There’s no overhead related to representing audio using floating point. That said, some devices support taking exclusive access for client apps and writing directly to the device in it's physical format on mac. That's been part of the HAL api for a long time.

We are now closing this report."

I'm confused, to say the least.

So I've done that, and got the following reply:

"There are no plans to address this based on the following:

We’re not going to change this. There’s no overhead related to representing audio using floating point. That said, some devices support taking exclusive access for client apps and writing directly to the device in it's physical format on mac. That's been part of the HAL api for a long time.

We are now closing this report."

I'm confused, to say the least.

El Captain will be my latest version. Period!

and this 2012 Mac mini will be my last Mac dedicated music player

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

and this 2012 Mac mini will be my last Mac dedicated music player

It only takes 10 to 15 mins to put back the audio extension for enabling Direct Mode again in A+ with Sierra...

Don't count on Apple to cured a small audio developper software for you guys...

At least Damien found that it was that extension that was now faulty for Direct Mode...

But also, Sierra is not important for playing music if you don't want it...

It's like passing from 2.5.4 that is perfect for you, to 2.6 that messed up again your perfect library...

But for me the day i lost to have to repair again my library to be up to date with the new design of 2.6

was really a plus in the end... Great update by Damien, nice features added and mostly: speed...

Direct Mode for Sierra is in my post on the page before that one, real easy...

We don't need Apple, we need Damien :-)

Direct Mode enabled again with Sierra cured for me: The loading buffering time when upsampling to DSD128 compare to the Large CoreAudio I/O Buffer replacing the Direct Mode. It cured also the songs stopping at 2 seconds at the end... the progress bar not finishing at the end or the song stopping for nothing at the 2 seconds at the end, and also the number of counted played song not been updated... I can't point that it is direct mode that do that or the CoreAudio Buffering that is buggy, but all does bugs are not been happening since two days when i replaced the extension with the El Crapitan one, now been seeing that for like forty CDs now playing with those bugs. Talking for me, with Sierra, My mac mini late 2012 and my DAC...

Hi,

Details on the issue described in the #136 post: it seems that under certain circumstances changing from "Tracks" view mode to "Albums" view mode made the program crash. It happens when fresh syncing and after a new smartlist is created.

Another issue seems to be a memory "leak". I've noticed that leaving Audirvana open (but not necessary playing) it continuously take memory without releasing it. (checked with a simple memory monitor software).

Hopefully these info will be helpful for you.

It only takes 10 to 15 mins to put back the audio extension for enabling Direct Mode again in A+ with Sierra...

it's not (just) because of Direct Mode but because in Sierra I can't auto-mount anymore at boot the NAS share where my music is :rolleyes:

(and because, after using Macs for 30 years... don't get me started on *today's* Apple! :mad::P )

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

I thank all those helping others out here.

Why does there seem to be a near obsession by some people to upgrade to Sierra and then find workarounds for various issues? I think almost anyone here is using a mac dedicated to playing music, so Sierra is not needed. Damien has stated repeatedly that everything works fine in the pre-Sierra OS X variants. Let Damien work out the 2.6 beta with pre-Sierra OS X.

I don't write this as someone versed in any of this technology--I'm NOT! It just seems worthwhile to stop fighting an uphill battle to get Audirvana 2.6 to work with Sierra, AT THIS TIME! Critically, I'm not posting this to generate debate. It's just my observation.

After I updated to the latest 10.12.2 beta, my network shares mounts again without prompting for a password.

oh, wow: they got it?!??

though... let's wait and see if it's not just a beta bug :P

headphones system:

I thank all those helping others out here.

Why does there seem to be a near obsession by some people to upgrade to Sierra and then find workarounds for various issues? I think almost anyone here is using a mac dedicated to playing music, so Sierra is not needed. ...

I use my work laptop for music, and updating to Sierra will be mandatory in a few weeks. There are other reasons to upgrade to Sierra too, but apart from that, what about next year, when the next version of macOS is released? Better to try and get problems fixed by Apple and stay up-to-date, than use old versions of operating systems, which may become vulnerable to various attacks over time, and fall out of support eventually.