IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 2.6

jtm

TIDAL has now fixed the issue. Album tracks are now displayed again in correct order :)

There is still a problem with some classical CDs I think it occurs when there are multiple compositions with each piece having a few different movements. Then all the first movements will be numbered 1 and they will be sorted first, followed by all the 2nd movements and so on. Please see the screenshot below.

Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 10.32.32 PM.png

There is still a problem with some classical CDs I think it occurs when there are multiple compositions with each piece having a few different movements. Then all the first movements will be numbered 1 and they will be sorted first, followed by all the 2nd movements and so on. Please see the screenshot below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33599[/ATTACH]

as A+ doesn't use "WORK" and "PART" tags, you have to use the "Grouping" one :rolleyes:

and number all tracks following album's sorting (1, 2, 3, 4 etc)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

as A+ doesn't use "WORK" and "PART" tags, you have to use the "Grouping" one :rolleyes:

and number all tracks following album's sorting (1, 2, 3, 4 etc)

Ah, you're referring to the Apple-introduced-in-latest-iTunes tags? Grouping is the tag as defined by the id3v2 and other well recognised standards for this. But Apple again decided to despise the standards :(

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

not using iTunes (if not to synch my iPhone) and not been looking/caring about its file tagging in years

just buy something from Qobuz and look what they are using "Grouping" for :-|

not saying they are doing the right thing, just saying proper tags for what A+ does with Grouping are Work and Part, as seen in Yate ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

not using iTunes (if not to synch my iPhone) and not been looking/caring about its file tagging in years

just buy something from Qobuz and look what they are using "Grouping" for :-|

not saying they are doing the right thing, just saying proper tags for what A+ does with Grouping are Work and Part, as seen in Yate ;)

Barry has updated Yate because of the iTunes update. I will let him comment on this iTunes update...

If you want to tag your files with metadata that is in a format proprietary to Apple, but I'll advise against locking yourself to a proprietary system.

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

looks to me each software developer actually is using tags the way *he* wants, not just Apple

(first seen "Grouping", years ago, when Apple introduced it for "general, user defined" purposes: I was using it, eg, for "country" and Qobuz is using it for "broad genres")

and Apple is not the only one using Work and Part ;)

not a real issue, though, as very few people are using tags beyond "Title", "Album", "Artist" and "Track" (most are not even using "Disk") :(

headphones system:

Not sure if there are more issues with the Tidal API??

Whilst the tracks are now in the correct order, I cannot play anything! It only affects Tidal tracks. It hangs at "Loading first track..." then bombs out after a minute or so :(

Anyone else afflicted? @damien do you know if this is more problems at the Tidal end?

All local files play fine.

Not sure if there are more issues with the Tidal API??

Whilst the tracks are now in the correct order, I cannot play anything! It only affects Tidal tracks. It hangs at "Loading first track..." then bombs out after a minute or so :(

Anyone else afflicted? @damien do you know if this is more problems at the Tidal end?

All local files play fine.

It's 100% at the Tidal end - apparently they use AWS as there hosting provider, and they have a major outage!

Ah, you're referring to the Apple-introduced-in-latest-iTunes tags? Grouping is the tag as defined by the id3v2 and other well recognised standards for this. But Apple again decided to despise the standards :(

The problem is with Tidal albums, not iTunes.

If you want to tag your files with metadata that is in a format proprietary to Apple, but I'll advise against locking yourself to a proprietary system.

Dear Damien,

I am mildly disappointed that you should knock Apple's proprietary system.

After all, all of your customers have bought into Apple's proprietary system,

… and Audirvana is only available on this proprietary system, as far as one is aware.

On the very topic of Work/Movement and despite it coming much later than the previous Grouping accommodation to manage Compositions and Movements in classical music, I find the iTunes novel approach quite fit for the purpose and I can only invite you to consider making its use available to you customers.

It could for example be set up through an option in the Preferences.

Easier said than done, I'll grant you, but very much worth considering in future iterations of Audirvana.

As an example; it certainly took some time for Audirvana to allow the use of the sort fields, but Audirvana came around making the best of those fields for the benefit of the customer.

I shall add I find it a bit unfair to denigrate iTunes which has been the historic music player on which your software has been piggy-backing once upon a time.

With my deepest respect and gratitude for the wonderful job you have done so far with Audirvana 2, and its soon to be released 3 version.

Dear Damien,

I am mildly disappointed that you should knock Apple's proprietary system.

After all, all of your customers have bought into Apple's proprietary system,

… and Audirvana is only available on this proprietary system, as far as one is aware.

On the very topic of Work/Movement and despite it coming much later than the previous Grouping accommodation to manage Compositions and Movements in classical music, I find the iTunes novel approach quite fit for the purpose and I can only invite you to consider making its use available to you customers.

It could for example be set up through an option in the Preferences.

Easier said than done, I'll grant you, but very much worth considering in future iterations of Audirvana.

As an example; it certainly took some time for Audirvana to allow the use of the sort fields, but Audirvana came around making the best of those fields for the benefit of the customer.

I shall add I find it a bit unfair to denigrate iTunes which has been the historic music player on which your software has been piggy-backing once upon a time.

With my deepest respect and gratitude for the wonderful job you have done so far with Audirvana 2, and its soon to be released 3 version.

Hi Waldburg. :)

I think it is not so much a matter of "denigrating" iTunes as it is an expression of three things:

1 - There are recognized standards for tagging that have existed for a long time, and Apple has decided not to comply with them.

2 - Apple has decided not to comply with them in different ways at different times, i.e., Apple is not only inconsistent with the standards, it is inconsistent with its own previous practices.

3 - #1 and #2 make it extremely hard for a developer on an Apple platform to work with tagging. Do you break the tagging of everyone who uses software that complies with the standards, break the tagging of everyone who has used the Apple tags in the past, or break the tagging of everyone who uses the current Apple tags? There is really no good solution. :(

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 - There are recognized standards for tagging that have existed for a long time, and Apple has decided not to comply with them.

2 - Apple has decided not to comply with them in different ways at different times, i.e., Apple is not only inconsistent with the standards, it is inconsistent with its own previous practices.

For 1., I would agree except for Work and Movement. There are/have been a number of work-arounds (pun intended), but no long-accepted standards.

For 2., it's true, Apple changed from using Grouping to store Work to a separate Work/Movement tag arrangement.

Backwards compatibility is nice, but I applaud these changes as a clean/better solution, moving forward. I am mostly finished moving my collection over to the new tagging, using the excellent Apple Scripts from dougscripts for this task.

As for 3., well... ah... welcome to software development when building a product that leverages someone else's customer base and apps.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just the way I like 'em."

As for 3., well... ah... welcome to software development when building a product that leverages someone else's customer base and apps.

Though in fairness, Damien offered the option not to use iTunes quite early on.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

For 2., it's true, Apple changed from using Grouping to store Work to a separate Work/Movement tag arrangement.

Apple never used Grouping (which in iTunes doesn't actually group a thing) for Work

If some users did... it only was *their* personal choice :P

Work and Part are now finally there to solve *that* issue ;)

headphones system:

Though in fairness, Damien offered the option not to use iTunes quite early on.

Sure, but the real issue is not iTunes ... it's additional tags in media files managed by iTunes (ALAC, MP3, AAC). Not supporting these additional tags is perfectly fine and is his choice; but, I don't see how it's not something that can't be considered later on.

Speaking personally, I do all of my metadata management in iTunes (for my AIFF library) and then play with Audirvana (i.e. iTunes Media/Music as a watched folder). I suspect that I am not alone in this regard.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just the way I like 'em."

Apple never used Grouping (which in iTunes doesn't actually group a thing) for Work

If some users did... it only was *their* personal choice :P

Work and Part are now finally there to solve *that* issue ;)

Not true. AAC media purchased on iTunes that are Classical music files did (and still do) populate the Grouping tag with the Work.

Not true. AAC media purchased on iTunes that are Classical music files did (and still do) populate the Grouping tag with the Work.

... and does it actually do anything apart just sitting there in your files? :P

Screen Shot 2017-03-01 10 53 22 PM.jpg

headphones system:

... and does it actually do anything apart just sitting there in your files? :P

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33643[/ATTACH]

Yes. When I view the same file in OTHER media players, like Audirvana, it displays the tracks with the same Grouping as a Movement. Of course, there was nothing to separate out the duplication with the song title.

To my earlier comment: I believe Apple planned on doing something with this tag, but realized that they needed two, separate tags, to manage work/movement. Hence the welcomed change.

Yes. When I view the same file in OTHER media players, like Audirvana, it displays the tracks with the same Grouping as a Movement.

so it's Audirvana, not Apple, using it that way

as far as iTunes is concerned (never bought AACs) it's nothing more than a generic tag (as the name itself implies) to store some kind of information at user's discretion ;)

headphones system:

it's nothing more than a generic tag (as the name itself implies) to store some kind of information at user's discretion ;)

Quite right!

I for one have used the Grouping for other purpose on my 90000+ tracks, and for each and every file, it grates me a bit to see the Grouping tag content displayed when playing the files.

A simple toggle in the preferences would have probably been implementable right from the start of use of that function in Audirvana.

All that I am advocating is the recognition that the Grouping tag is just that: a "do what you jolly well please with me" tag.

Audirvana should hopefully reflect that in time

Speaking personally, I do all of my metadata management in iTunes (for my AIFF library) and then play with Audirvana (i.e. iTunes Media/Music as a watched folder). I suspect that I am not alone in this regard.

Yes, I know a lot of people do this. I personally didn't like the way iTunes handled my music at all and was thrilled when I could stop using it.

We are all different...

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

I hope 3.0 will fix the Audirvana stalling bug. In my case songs stop a few seconds before end, no matter if the source is hard drive or Tidal. I am experiencing it for over a year and no update helped. I posted on CA and contacted Damien, I read postings of people experiencing the same problem. I found no solution. I am upsampling only to 24/96, so my mac has enough power to do so. The bug takes away from pleasure of listing to music. I never know when Audirvana will stall and I will hear loud noise trough my speakers. At this point despite that I love the sound Audirvana gives me, I will wait with upgrading to 3.0. I will do it only if I hear from other users that stalling problem was resolved. The stalling bug is the reason that keeps me thinking about moving to different software player or switching from mac to streamer.

Apple Mac Mini (8GB RAM / 256 GB SSD) –> Audirvana Studio-> ISO Regen->Audio Mirror IV SE
Bluesound Node 2->Audio Mirror Tubadour IV SE

It makes no difference if I send upsampled signal or native format. 24/96 is just maximum rate my DAC accepts. Isotope in theory does better job upsampling than DAC, which automatically upsamples everything to 24/192.

It’s the software stalling for whatever reason.

Apple Mac Mini (8GB RAM / 256 GB SSD) –> Audirvana Studio-> ISO Regen->Audio Mirror IV SE
Bluesound Node 2->Audio Mirror Tubadour IV SE