IGNORED

Wireless Charging RF and Audio

Wireless charging via Bluetooth LE is likely coming to all our mobile and IOT devices. Energous (developer of WattUp) just got a $10 million investment from Dialog Semiconductor. There have been indications that Apple is evaluating this technology for inclusion in its products.

It will be interesting to see whether doing power distribution over the air introduces any new challenges for audio.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

• 1 year later...

Energous stock was up nearly 75% after hours today.  The FCC has certified its wireless transmitter which can charge devices like smartphones via RF from up to 3 feet away.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

Ugh more wireless stuff, I'm going to wind up with some kind of Lead Walled "safe room" one of these days... honestly worrying about how this will affect quality is moot, Wireless carriers are moving towards the development of MANY more Pico sites which operate at a marginally higher level of intensity than even current pico cell sites do, especially with the advent of 5G 

The future it looking increasingly noise, I'm just awaiting for a Ghost in the Shell style rebellion to break out again'st all this increased RF were being exposed to at a greater and greater rate these days! 

This technology may be more important in public places like coffee shops and airports than at home.  It makes more sense than wireless charging pads which need to be plugged in. 

Ultimately, the goal is to never need to think about your device running out of juice.

2 minutes ago, rickca said:

This technology may be more important in public places like coffee shops and airports than at home.  It makes more sense than wireless charging pads which need to be plugged in. 

Ultimately, the goal is to never need to think about your device running out of juice.

this kind of tech would be excellent for exactly that, in the same way people without unlimited cellular data flock to places with WiFi those without power will like wise flock to small shops that off this kind of localized charging!