IGNORED

REW vs Acourate?

I use Dirac Live myself. It is much less complex than either of the above, yet is still quite advanced in measurement and room correction during playback. My results are terrific, and the learning curve is quite simple.

Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for...

Apples and oranges. REW is only a measurement tool. Acourate, like several other DSP EQ packages, is a comprehensive DSP room correction tool that first takes measurements in order to do its thing. It can apply those corrections on the fly during playback. REW cannot.

What would you do with the measured results of REW, since it cannot do anything for you during actual music playback?

Not really true. IMHO

There are many things you can do with REW to improve the sound. Use it to determine speaker placement test the results of bass traps, scatter panels, absorption panels etc.

Not that I use REW I think it is a very complicated piece of software. Also I have no laptop and my desktop is not near my audio set.

[br]

Not really true. IMHO

There are many things you can do with REW to improve the sound. Use it to determine speaker placement test the results of bass traps, scatter panels, absorption panels etc.

Not that I use REW I think it is a very complicated piece of software. Also I have no laptop and my desktop is not near my audio set.

Not to split hairs, but, as I said, REW takes measurements, and that is all it does. Yes, you can manually interpret those measurements yourself and apply them yourself to placement, treatments, etc. You can even use the measurements to build DSP filters in other tools. But, you cannot play back music recordings for listening directly through REW. Its delivered result is just the measurements. The rest is up to you outside of the REW software.

That is unlike Acourate, which can measure, build DSP corrective filters and be used to apply those filters to the input signal during actual listening. Or, Acourate's filters can be exported to some other convolution tool for use during actual listening. REW may still be useful here to measure and check the performance of Acourate's DSP filters.

That was my point.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Hello everyone. I know that this thread is getting on in years, but I just stumbled across it and read through the posts. It seems that there was a little confusion as to what REW is actually capable of, and since I have both REW and Acourate I'd like to chime in with my own experience. Keep in mind that I'm using a much newer version now, but here is the current state of things.

REW is indeed meant for measuring and verifying data. However, it also is very capable of generating its own correction filters. It can export these filters in either txt, xml, or wav formats. There is also filter export support for rePhase, which can import the filters along with excess phase data from REW to generate some really stellar filters. 

Acourate is still very much on top of the game, but REW is very capable of producing the necessary data to create filters of exceptional quality as well. All that's needed is some research and a procedure, and I've been working on one for the last year or so. I've recently been able to produce some stellar results with REW and rePhase that can hold their own against Acourate's filters. If anyone reading this is interested, and doesn't mind taking a few REW measurements, I'll be happy to make some filters for you to try out.