IGNORED

LaminarStreamer

Really interested in the idea of an SD card transport, but not for $91k. Bearing in mind this is not a mechanical device, I can't see how the expensive, exotic & heavyweight construction can have any real relationship to SQ or indeed where the vibration that apparently needs controlling is coming from in the first place. On the other hand, I can't see any mention in the "main features" of things like power supplies that might make a real difference.

Intrigued as to who is the target audience for this...

Only plays wav or aif, no DSD -- bzzzt, wrong

My library won't fit on an SD card -- bzzzt, wrong

The price is unbelievable, for such a simple device, lots of text (that's marketing tactics, for it being really expensive, there's lots of text).

Worst of all, it's still digital audio output, and "Best results will be when the DAC's asynchronous re-clocking is disengaged."

Hmm. Now this is a put down on some very good DACs and good luck disabling that function, now where's that switch? Oh, we need to buy R2R DACs, so no problems....

Lots of meaningless graphs.

YAUP (yet another useless product) IME.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

The design reminds me of a rotary phone.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Really interested in the idea of an SD card transport, but not for $91k. Bearing in mind this is not a mechanical device, I can't see how the expensive, exotic & heavyweight construction can have any real relationship to SQ or indeed where the vibration that apparently needs controlling is coming from in the first place. On the other hand, I can't see any mention in the "main features" of things like power supplies that might make a real difference.

Intrigued as to who is the target audience for this...

It's a bit bizarre, basically the equivalent of a CD transport for SD cards. From a value perspective, I think a Modwright Oppo 105 offers more for about $85K less. Still researching myself how best to do NxSDXC cards in a NAS.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

The Invicta Dac has a SD card playback integrated into it. there is also a Japanese machine available for circa $600 and a DIY setup for less than $400 (no case nor PSU)

I know of the other two, but what's the "Japanese machine available for circa $600" - is that somehow different from the DIY setup (which I presume is the SDTrans384?) .

While not in the same price league as the Laminar, I also never understood why the Invicta costs what it does; in the UK £4000+ seems very steep compared to other ESS based rivals.

It's a bit bizarre, basically the equivalent of a CD transport for SD cards. From a value perspective, I think a Modwright Oppo 105 offers more for about $85K less. Still researching myself how best to do NxSDXC cards in a NAS.

Just to clarify - I don't find the basic concept of an SD card transport bizarre at all. I'd certainly pay £1-£2k for something similar if it truly delivered on the SQ potential others have suggested for SD replay. What I do find bizarre is that getting an optimum digital signal from such a small solid state medium should apparently require such a large and expensive piece of kit...There's also something of a "hair shirt" element for SD card replay which looks likely incompatible with a $90k outlay....

I know of the other two, but what's the "Japanese machine available for circa $600" - is that somehow different from the DIY setup (which I presume is the SDTrans384?) .

While not in the same price league as the Laminar, I also never understood why the Invicta costs what it does; in the UK £4000+ seems very steep compared to other ESS based rivals.

I have a SDTrans 384. It is my best digital source and I can not even use the best sounding connection (I2S) it allows. It requires an excellent power supply. I am using LiFeP04 batteries and an ultra low noise voltage regulator. I spent in total less than 1% of the Laminar Streamer price which has even similar restrictions in file formats.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the SDTrans...is it still available?

I have a SDTrans 384. It is my best digital source and I can not even use the best sounding connection (I2S) it allows. It requires an excellent power supply. I am using LiFeP04 batteries and an ultra low noise voltage regulator. I spent in total less than 1% of the Laminar Streamer price which has even similar restrictions in file formats.

Is it still available?