IGNORED

Headless mac mini problem

DaveWA

Thanks to everyone for a great site. I run a headless mac mini controlled by a macbook pro. I have problems maintaining my wireless connection. Every day when I sit down to listem to my mini connected to my main stereo I cannot find it listed in Finder. My Time Capsule is always listed and connected. I end up performing a hard start of my mini and then it appears in Finder and screen sharing works fine. I checked the box to allow screen sharing in the "Sharing" icon in preferences in the hope that this would maintain the connection but that was no help. Any suggestions?

DaveWA

Is the mini set to go to sleep? If so this may be why it's not showing up on the mac pro. Either turn sleep off or try ticking the box that says wake for ethernet access. This allows an ipod touch to wake it not sure about the mac pro - it should work. The apple remote can also wake a sleeping mac.

Not a specific solution per se, but an alternative. I use an Airport Extreme base station to connect to my wifi system, then run CAT7 to my devices including headless mini. I didn't want to have the RFI of using the Wifi in the Mini. Another quite inexpensive alternative to this is buy the little AirportExpress Base Station, plug it into the wall, and have it extend your wireless network to the ethernet connection and run a cable to you mini. more wires, yes, but a solution and keeps the wifi out of the mini's box assuming you turn off the wifi, bluetooth, etc.

I've thought about running some CAT5 from the time capsule to the mini because of some dropouts when recording internet radio. This may solve my other problem with the mini dropping off screen sharing. It even will drop off at times when the mini is still playing so it is not a problem of it going to sleep. If I run CAT5 from the time capsule to the mini and turn off wifi in the mini does screen sharing run through the time capsule? Thanks again for the help.

David