IGNORED

Date settings

Sorry for the rant.But writing a date like; month day year drives me nuts I cannot understand why anyone sane person would write a date like that. (same goes for the use of none decimal systems (miles) or the use of Fahrenheit ect).

Is there anyway to change the way the dates are seen. I would be okay with 2 options.

1) year month day (this makes the most sense) today would be 2016 11 03 or 2016 November 03

2) DD MMM YY or DD MMM YYYY (is okay, or variations upon that) today would be 03NOV16 or maybe 03-11-'16 could also be acceptable.

All other ways of date notations are ......... cannot voice my opinion without using some foul language.

Things that should have been banned long time ago

Celsius

Fahrenheit

Miles

Driving left side of the road

etc

[br]

What would you use to measure temperature, degrees Kelvin? Celsius is now the more widely accepted term for the old centigrade scale, at least amongst scientists, etc. - in fact it's the SI unit.

Being from the UK I've learned not to question the North American way of formatting dates.

What would you use to measure temperature, degrees Kelvin? Celsius is now the more widely accepted term for the old centigrade scale, at least amongst scientists, etc. - in fact it's the SI unit.

Being from the UK I've learned not to question the North American way of formatting dates.

The SI unit of temperature is Kelvin. 1 K is the same size as 1°C, but the zero point is different.

Sorry for the rant.But writing a date like; month day year drives me nuts I cannot understand why anyone sane person would write a date like that. (same goes for the use of none decimal systems (miles) or the use of Fahrenheit ect).

Is there anyway to change the way the dates are seen. I would be okay with 2 options.

1) year month day (this makes the most sense) today would be 2016 11 03 or 2016 November 03

2) DD MMM YY or DD MMM YYYY (is okay, or variations upon that) today would be 03NOV16 or maybe 03-11-'16 could also be acceptable.

All other ways of date notations are ......... cannot voice my opinion without using some foul language.

Celsius

Fahrenheit

Miles

etc

I grew up in a day month year world but I use the inverse order when naming folders or files because I find it keeps things tidier.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Celsius

Fahrenheit

Miles

etc

Play with the region controls on your PC. I haven't looked but that is about the only thing I can think of.

I agree the imperial measurement system is a piece of shit.

Celsius

Fahrenheit

Miles

etc

Is this an attempt to get that Brexit thread restarted?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Celsius

Fahrenheit

Miles

etc

Celsius AND Farenheit? You want the weather in Kelvins?

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Celsius

Fahrenheit

Miles

etc

I agree with you about date formats.

I use YYYYMMDD when dating meeting notes, naming folders, etc.

I have to respectfully disagree about Miles though. I don't like his later stuff that much but everything else he did was excellent.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

If someone hands me the folder for 2012, then I only need to look at month and day. Makes perfect sense. Besides everyone doing it the same is a step toward one world govt. Any measurement system with a slug is cooler than others without invoking Lord Kelvin.

They did slip one in with the watt. We could have rated bulbs in millihorsepower were it not so metric-like. 80 mhp instead of 60 watts. Imagine tiny horses.

Agree about which side of the road to use. Most are right handed and that is where the gearshift belongs.

This bugs me. 3.14=3,14 who is responsible for this?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Computer Audiophile mobile app

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Agree about which side of the road to use. Most are right handed and that is where the gearshift belongs.
Mmm, sounds like a suggestion from someone not brought up on manual shifting. The clutch foot pedal is located on the left, operated by the left foot, so it's obvious that the gearshift should be positioned to be operated by the left hand. It's the right hand side steering wheel position that's the natural one for the right handed majority. It also allows the right handed driver to shoot out of the side window - would have saved a lot smashed windscreens in those American car chase movies, but for driving on the correct side of the road.

This bugs me. 3.14=3,14 who is responsible for this?
Definitely agree about the weird use of the decimal comma instead of the decimal point and similarly the use of the thousands dot separator instead of the comma.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Mmm, sounds like a suggestion from someone not brought up on manual shifting. The clutch foot pedal is located on the left, operated by the left foot, so it's obvious that the gearshift should be positioned to be operated by the left hand. It's the right hand side steering wheel position that's the natural one for the right handed majority. It also allows the right handed driver to shoot out of the side window - would have saved a lot smashed windscreens in those American car chase movies, but for driving on the correct side of the road.

Definitely agree about the weird use of the decimal comma instead of the decimal point and similarly the use of the thousands dot separator instead of the comma.

Afraid you are mistaken. I mostly have driven manual shift and prefer it to this day. I have made over two million shifts involving a clutch. Hopefully everyone knows the proper pedal locations are brake on the right, accelerator in the middle and clutch on the left. Though no longer in fashion it is the best way. ;)

I am ambidextrous with measurement systems, but unfortunately not fully so with shooting. So resting my elbow on the windowsill, holding the steering wheel with one hand, allows me to shift when needed using the right, and shoot with the right in between. If you wasted all your time right handed on the wheel it would interfere with shooting. A convertible with the top down helps BTW. Unfortunately, most states in the US have actually passed laws against shooting out of moving vehicles. I believe they will completely legislate away all the fun before my days are done.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

people that use day month year are likely to use ounces and pounds too

at least until the apocalypse gets rid of them...

You are getting us confused. Us pound and ounce folks like month, day, year.

Should we even mention whether it is liter or litre?

I agree with you about date formats.

I use YYYYMMDD when dating meeting notes, naming folders, etc.

I have to respectfully disagree about Miles though. I don't like his later stuff that much but everything else he did was excellent.

Fahrenheit is certainly not as widely known as Miles.

https://www.facebook.com/Fahrenheit-157780414253347/info/

While the Celsius Quartet has never had a hit.

celsiusquartet

Afraid you are mistaken. I mostly have driven manual shift and prefer it to this day. I have made over two million shifts involving a clutch. Hopefully everyone knows the proper pedal locations are brake on the right, accelerator in the middle and clutch on the left. Though no longer in fashion it is the best way. ;)

I am ambidextrous with measurement systems, but unfortunately not fully so with shooting. So resting my elbow on the windowsill, holding the steering wheel with one hand, allows me to shift when needed using the right, and shoot with the right in between. If you wasted all your time right handed on the wheel it would interfere with shooting. A convertible with the top down helps BTW. Unfortunately, most states in the US have actually passed laws against shooting out of moving vehicles. I believe they will completely legislate away all the fun before my days are done.

You're supposed to steer with your knees.

You're supposed to steer with your knees.

Or have someone riding 'shotgun'.

Sorry, yes degrees Celsius is one of the SI derived units - it was always the one we used on Open University science courses.

If I used Celcius at school points were deducted. Only Kelvin gave full points. Just like meters per second was the only correct unit of speed and Pascal for pressure.

[br]

A couple of points:

"," for the decimal point and "." as '000' separator is used on mainland Europe by about 300million folk.

year-month-day is obviously the best when naming files & folders whereas day-month-year has been used historically for centuries in letters and documents and continues to be so used.

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

A couple of points:

"," for the decimal point and "." as '000' separator is used on mainland Europe by about 300million folk.

year-month-day is obviously the best when naming files & folders whereas day-month-year has been used historically for centuries in letters and documents and continues to be so used.

And about 300 million in the USA do decimals the other way. Those do dates as month, day, year.

If population counts I guess the Chinese have it however they do things. Until the Indians pass them on population.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Computer Audiophile mobile app