IGNORED

Myself and my setup

Hello Guys,

I would like to introduce myself.

My name is Luis and I am 31. I live in Portugal and consider myself a music lover. This passion has taken me into the audio world, especially in the portable gear world, but not only.

I really enjoy the music, not so much entertained by the equipment so objective is always to spend as little so that the equipment is not the bottleneck. I do buy a lot of music and expect to continue so.

So, considering this, I would like to enjoy a bit more my music as I feel my portable gear far exceeds the living room composition.

Nowadays I have:

- Yamaha NS333 speakers

- Audiolab 8000S

- Cambridge Audio Cd player, the main source

- Denon Tuner

- Ipod connected via RCA to the amp

I would like to connect the PC or the Macbook to the setup, so I need a Dac. I think a Schiit DAC is enough. Like the Modi. Maybe I will also upgrade de speakers but only after the test.

Can you give me your opinion?

Welcome to the forum! You did not mention which Cambridge CD player you have. Some of them can be used as DAC's. Before you spend any money, take a look at the back of your CD player to make sure it does not have digital inputs. If it does, and if you are happy with the sound of your Cambridge, you may not need to buy a DAC yet. Otherwise, that Schiit Modi has a good reputation and is certainly worth considering.

Welcome to the forum! You did not mention which Cambridge CD player you have. Some of them can be used as DAC's. Before you spend any money, take a look at the back of your CD player to make sure it does not have digital inputs. If it does, and if you are happy with the sound of your Cambridge, you may not need to buy a DAC yet. Otherwise, that Schiit Modi has a good reputation and is certainly worth considering.

Thank you!

I hope I can enjoy the forum.

Unfortunately it has two digital outputs but no inputs. The model is the azur 340.

Another question if I may. Should I pick the mac or the pc as the source?

Whether you choose Mac or PC depends on what your needs are. I personally prefer PC, but that's because I am a tinkerer. I like being able to change components and upgrade the PC myself, and not being locked in.

I won't say anything about Macs because I don't want to get into a Mac vs. PC debate. These things are as old as arguing about cables.

If you already have the PC or MAC, use whatever you already own.

If you are going to buy.... my humble suggestion is to start looking into a SBC (single board computer) solution.

I personally have been playing with raspberry pi3 for a couple of years with a lot of satisfaction.

Using a cost effective digital transport such as the HiFiBerry Digi+ to output into an external DAC, in my system it is on par (or better) than my MacBook running Audirvana.

And this would be just the beginning, because you will discover many other options you might want to experiment with in order to improve the SQ.

PS Audio offers this package. The price is very reasonable, but you get a lot for your money. Its a huge upgrade from what you have now. You can keep your CD player, which is very good. No need to replace it. You can also keep your tuner.

The system also comes with a dac, so you can plug your iPod and computer into that, and the headphone amp in the amp should also be a step up from what you have now.

Sprout ELAC System | PS Audio

If you already have the PC or MAC, use whatever you already own.

If you are going to buy.... my humble suggestion is to start looking into a SBC (single board computer) solution.

I personally have been playing with raspberry pi3 for a couple of years with a lot of satisfaction.

Using a cost effective digital transport such as the HiFiBerry Digi+ to output into an external DAC, in my system it is on par (or better) than my MacBook running Audirvana.

And this would be just the beginning, because you will discover many other options you might want to experiment with in order to improve the SQ.

I have both but I am leaning to the pc since it alows more software options.

Never considered raspbery pi... Yours is connect via usb? Were can I get more info about it?

PS Audio offers this package. The price is very reasonable, but you get a lot for your money. Its a huge upgrade from what you have now. You can keep your CD player, which is very good. No need to replace it. You can also keep your tuner.

The system also comes with a dac, so you can plug your iPod and computer into that, and the headphone amp in the amp should also be a step up from what you have now.

Sprout ELAC System | PS Audio

I will seriously take a look in detail... Thank you.

I have both but I am leaning to the pc since it alows more software options.

Never considered raspbery pi... Yours is connect via usb? Were can I get more info about it?

To start, you could have a look at this thread on this same forum. Even if it is from last year the basic concepts are all valid. You will see how simple it is...

Computer Audiophile - Geek Speak: Raspberry Pi HiFi Is Here

Personally, I have more than one (it has been fun to play with them over the years):

- On one (raspberry pi2, older model) I use HiFiBerry Digi+ to connect using a coaxial cable to my dac (Chord MoJo).

- On another one (raspberry pi3, newer), I connect to the DAC using USB, "regenrating" the signal using Uptone USB regen

On both of them I use MoodeAudio as software (but you could use RuneAudio or Volumio as well)

moodeaudio.org

To start, you could have a look at this thread on this same forum. Even if it is from last year the basic concepts are all valid. You will see how simple it is...

Computer Audiophile - Geek Speak: Raspberry Pi HiFi Is Here

Personally, I have more than one (it has been fun to play with them over the years):

- On one (raspberry pi2, older model) I use HiFiBerry Digi+ to connect using a coaxial cable to my dac (Chord MoJo).

- On another one (raspberry pi3, newer), I connect to the DAC using USB, "regenrating" the signal using Uptone USB regen

On both of them I use MoodeAudio as software (but you could use RuneAudio or Volumio as well)

moodeaudio.org

Isn't Raspberry pi somewhat difficult to set up, especially for a beginner? In this case, it would seem a usb hard drive is all the OP needs.

Isn't Raspberry pi somewhat difficult to set up, especially for a beginner? In this case, it would seem a usb hard drive is all the OP needs.

I honestly found the process very straightforward, especially since I moved from Volumio or Rune to Moode evertything has been easier for me.

But let's see what the OP opinion is....

The audio player/streamer distros mentioned for the Raspberry Pi require very little setup as such, compared to full blown audio file player software such as JRiver Media Center. Just follow the simple installation instructions and it's turnkey more or less from then on - just like a purpose built audio device. The additional benefit is the excellent support especially from Moode, whose developer responds very quickly to issues raised:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/moode-audio-player-raspberry-pi-23858/

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Well, for starters many thanks for the contribution.

The source I will be using is an old HP laptop. I have striped it from its old shell and now rests is a very simple custom made plastic case. Not the best but ot does the job.

49e7616b17e7d7f0c0a41875fe296e88.jpg

Since its a windows system it will alow me to have all the streaming options available. I will be testing spotify and tidal asap (after the dac purchase).

After that I just need to find the right player for the files I keep in the NAS.

Meanwhile I will buy a Raspberry Pi3 and start to explore it. I found it really intetesting. The only question is that I am very basic on the subject. I hope I dont get frustrated. The Volumio capabilities are really amazing and the fact that I can control it with any smart device is really something. Maybe I can even use the old laptop screen and connect it to the raspberry and make a nice player. I need to check ebay for the existing controllers for old laptop lcds.

I also intend to look for used dacs. I found 2 or 3 models around 300 euro like the Rega Dac, Audiolab Mdac, Cambridge Audio MagicDac. I really dont know if they are better than the Schiit Modi Multibit, my first choice.

The files I have came from my Cds since my true hobby is the music and I own thousands of them. I dont know if I will be playing files over 16 bits but we will never know.

Finally I will be looking for the new speakers. Almost for sure second handed. In this point I really dont know what to look for.