IGNORED

Discussion of AC mains isolation transformers

14 hours ago, One and a half said:

Use a different circuit for IT gear not the audio dedicated line.

Good info re: power @One and a half. Thank you. I did run a dedicated line for the IT closet, and put it on the opposite phase of the audio dedicated line.

The network gear is connected to the audio gear via fiber.

All the motor/compressor based devices are on the non-audio phase too.

Obsessive? You betcha! Thanks again for the interesting power info. Always a pleasure to read. Cheers...

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

• 5 months later...

@SoundSparks that was my first question too: What does your current distribution infrastructure look like?

I agree with @ASRMichaelthat a dedicated line (or two) can make a big difference. I also recognize it's not always feasible to do.

I have two PIAudio UberBuss products I quite like, but recently I was considering testing a Shunyata Denali, or even an Everest. So I called Shunyata. 

An Everest is 8K but after a discussion about my gear and infrastructure, they recommended I plug my Extreme directly into the wall (dedicated line) and add a Shunyata Venom Defender (300 bucks) in the same outlet. 

I had one on the TV so I switched it over. Sounds great.

They also recommended I plug both of my Luxman m900s and the c900 pre into the other dedicated line, with another Defender. Remaining gear in the UberBuss...or buy a Denali.

I thought that was very direct and helpful info, and 8,000 vs. 600 dollars. 5,000 for a Denali, give or take.

Full disclosure: I did not move the amps over, because replacing two expensive power cords to make it possible would be painful. 

I recognize I did not answer your question, but I hope my reply might provide food for thought. Good Luck.

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

...and BTW: that tip comes from a call I had with Shunyata re: power strategies for audio. They said they always highly recommend it. 

And since I'm referencing that call, I was very impressed that they suggested plugging my server and the amps directly into the wall (I do have dedicated lines, which is not an option for you IIRC). Not that the recommendation is uniquely clever, but I called for guidance on adding an Everest or Denali. Very fair of them, I think. 

• 4 months later...

...there's nothing grossly wrong with Romex for audio. Go with 10 gauge, if you can. It works great and it's within the comfort zone of any contractor and many DIY folks (this is not a guide to DIY electrical, so don't do it yourself if you aren't comfortable with it). Just getting a basic dedicated line like this will help. 

Are there better options? Yes.

Twisted pair BX (pre-made wire in flexible metal conduit) or even twisting up some THHN to pull through a flex conduit is good. But you should twist it up every foot or so, and put a piece of tape around it. Creating a "Conduit Transformer" by willy-nilly running cables, undersizing conduit, etc. is counter-productive.

I have 3/4" FMC (Flexible Metal Conduit) with stranded 10 ga. THHN wire. Not too difficult to run and "sounds" great.

For reference, my pull is about 35' end to end.

For fun, next week or thereabouts, I will pull a #6 copper, twisted, stranded, sheathed cable. 

Normal duplex outlets in the US will not accept more than 10 ga. wire, and even that can be a PITA. I don't like to pig-tail wire for audio (eg: run #6 or #8 and twist-up a joint with #10 to the outlet), so in this case, I've ordered some "special" outlets that will accept #6 conductors. 

Actually, my service is pretty good to start: 2/0 copper, 200 amp service. I have the network on one phase, audio on the other. Dedicated lines in each case. Home-run to the panel (end to end, no breaks). Audio stuff is on what I estimate to be the quieter phase, but any 220v device is on both legs. You can only do so much...but I do turn off the thermostat if I am listening carefully for some particular reason. Yes, I am that kind of freak. Ordinary listening: no.

I am in the city, NE US, so the grid is what it is. That is why I was looking into power supply options for audio. I was going to demo a Stromtank, but decided to go the TT7 route instead...or maybe to start. 

Is it expensive? It is indeed. More than my first four cars...combined. Although, full disclosure, my first was a '68 Opel Kadet wagon fixer-up I got for 50 bucks, which skews the data.

Some of the TT7 cost is due to economy of scale, some to IP, some due to materials. Jim is freaky-fastidious about the build. Call him up, if you have questions. You can't judge a device by its cover...or its weight. 

24 minutes ago, Talley4217 said:

Before you claim #10awg is fine for audio make sure you've done the voltage drop calcs.

Good stuff in your post, for sure. 10 ga. Romex is not optimum. I used the term: "grossly wrong" above. I'd stand by that, but it's not too hard/expensive to do better. 

Really, my mini push-back is just that I think a dedicated line, even in Romex...assuming not to the moon and back...would be net positive outcome for many, and I wouldn't want some to think unless they go big, it's not worth doing and all is lost. I agree with most of what you wrote, @Talley4217 cheers...

1 hour ago, Talley4217 said:

I now wish I ran 2/0 cable terminated to a busbar inside of an electrical box then have bladed 20a fuses bolted to the busbar to provide the power for the receptacles.

...that would be fab. Can you imagine? (You did!). I looked into using the twist-lok fixtures for outlet/plug, which have good contact area, but kind of a hassle. 

@gererickI believe Jim Weil has the outlets. May be other sources too. I *think* his are Hubbells. 

Excellent Sunday exchanges, fellas! A lotta fun. Thanks! 

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Talley4217 said:

T&B KoprShield CPT8-TB

Great posts, thank you! You like the KoprShield product? I am going to clean up my ground assembly at the water pipe when I run the new 6ga. dedicated line, and was trying to recall if there was something we used back in ancient times for this purpose---with all-copper assemblies, rather than Cu/Al stuff. Cheers...