Jump to content

dCS Network Bridge


Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...

A question.  I have found that performance using my (obviously already great) DCS Network Bridge improves meaningfully by applying all the damping and isolation tricks I know to my flimsy Verizon-supplied wifi cable modem.  Are there ideas for a simple, well-built, robust modem/router/switch solution that I should consider? From my perspective the simpler the better, i.e., fewer cables, boxes, etc.  I am fortunate (I think) in that via a coax switch in my bedroom where all the Verizon ISP/cable boxes are situated, I do have a long coax cable that goes all the way across my apartment right up to where I have my audio equipment in my living room.  For now, at least, I am using a MacMini on my LAN (located near audio) with its attached hard drive as my UPNP music server.  For now I have the (damped/isolated) Verizon cable modem located behind the audio system.  Thank you for any ideas. If there is another thread here that addresses this please let me know. 

hltf

Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW, I compared it to Naim's NAC272 with XPS DR and the dCS network bridge was very slightly better but a better deal and I didn't need a preamp anymore, only a network bridge so sold my Naim gear with 0 regret and 3K back in my pocket...

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, pam1975 said:

Not wrong but I am comparing it to what I had. And the 272 is first and foremost a streamer.

 

Fair enough, never saw it or heard it so I can't comment. 

 

What are the master clock options on the market that could provide SQ benefits to the dCS NB, apart from dCS's offerings that cost an arm and a leg? Any idea?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AmusedToD said:

Has anybody compared the dCS NB to the likes of Sotm sms200Ultra or ultraRendu?

Look out for the review of the Sonore Signature Rendu SE in Audiostream in the coming weeks. I'm sure a comparison with  the network bridge will be made.

I was pondering with testing the dCS bridge, but after buying the Lush USB cable, there's no way I'm ready to move to the Ethernet protocol anytime soon (AES67/Ravenna now long forgotten).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, k-man said:

Look out for the review of the Sonore Signature Rendu SE in Audiostream in the coming weeks. I'm sure a comparison with  the network bridge will be made.

I was pondering with testing the dCS bridge, but after buying the Lush USB cable, there's no way I'm ready to move to the Ethernet protocol anytime soon (AES67/Ravenna now long forgotten).

 

Wonder if Steven rather than Michael will do the review. I've an upgraded microRendu (new board) and Signature LPS in my other system since putting the dCS into my primary system. I've had no desire to return the Sonore gear to test, since it would also require adding back my Berkeley Alpha USB converter to support the Ref. 2 DAC. 

 

As for comparison, the only worthy DAC I'm aware of capable of USB input is the Schitt Yggdrasil. And I'm uncertain that USB is it's preferred input over S/PDIF.  In this arena, assessments by reviewers are best when apples to apples comparisons.  The Network Bridge, not sending out USB, and unlikely that it would be a preferred method in any case, would prove a problematic choice. And using a USB to S/PDIF converter would slight either component under test. 

Steve Schaffer

Roon Nucleus/ WD USB Drive / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler  / dCS Vivaldi DAC / dCS Vivaldi Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral DMA-500 monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia Series 2 speakers / Shunyata Denali - DPC6 - Sigma Ethernet / Synergistic Research Galileo interconnects / Uptone EtherREGEN switch

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, stevebythebay said:

Wonder if Steven rather than Michael will do the review. I've an upgraded microRendu (new board) and Signature LPS in my other system since putting the dCS into my primary system. I've had no desire to return the Sonore gear to test, since it would also require adding back my Berkeley Alpha USB converter to support the Ref. 2 DAC. 

 

As for comparison, the only worthy DAC I'm aware of capable of USB input is the Schitt Yggdrasil. And I'm uncertain that USB is it's preferred input over S/PDIF.  In this arena, assessments by reviewers are best when apples to apples comparisons.  The Network Bridge, not sending out USB, and unlikely that it would be a preferred method in any case, would prove a problematic choice. And using a USB to S/PDIF converter would slight either component under test. 

 

How does the MicroRendu with Signature LPS stack against the dCS NB? Is the dCS a worthy upgrade?

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, AmusedToD said:

 

How does the MicroRendu with Signature LPS stack against the dCS NB? Is the dCS a worthy upgrade?

FYI, I'm using an Audio Alchemy DDP-1 in my other system with the Sonore gear. The DDP-1 has USB, so I don't need the Berkeley D-D converter. I've no interest in A-B testing of dCS vs. Sonore in that system, nor swapping my Berkeley Ref 2 DAC with DDP-1, which would make for such a comparison. I'll leave that to any reviewer out there that wants to do so...and thinks it's of "real" value. 

Steve Schaffer

Roon Nucleus/ WD USB Drive / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler  / dCS Vivaldi DAC / dCS Vivaldi Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral DMA-500 monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia Series 2 speakers / Shunyata Denali - DPC6 - Sigma Ethernet / Synergistic Research Galileo interconnects / Uptone EtherREGEN switch

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, stevebythebay said:

FYI, I'm using an Audio Alchemy DDP-1 in my other system with the Sonore gear. The DDP-1 has USB, so I don't need the Berkeley D-D converter. I've no interest in A-B testing of dCS vs. Sonore in that system, nor swapping my Berkeley Ref 2 DAC with DDP-1, which would make for such a comparison. I'll leave that to any reviewer out there that wants to do so...and thinks it's of "real" value. 

 

Any functiinality issues with the dCS? Is it stable in operation? Are you using Roon with it, and if yes, have you experienced any stability issues, pops, clicks, skipping songs, anything like that?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Awaiting firmware fixes as well as the free MQA firmware.  The one bit I found to be an issue, though infrequent, is switching bitrates. Sometimes when Roon/MacMini is sending bitstreams of one bitrate, say 44kbps w. 16 depth, and then to another song with 192/24 the dCS is not quick to respond or correctly respond.  You get around this via a delay in Roon settings of a second (1000ms).  The only other thing that was due to my system setup is that I needed to enable control flow within my smart switch (Cisco) so as not to "overrun" the Roon software buffering.  Once done, never saw an issue since.  Very rarely do I get any hiccups, and they do not seem to be due to the dCS, but more likely either macOS/Roon platform.  Usually it's either a sudden playback stop with restart or other similar anomaly.  I know it's not the source, since I can even backtrack playback and not see an issue with the NAS.  Likely as not, it's some memory buffering in software; but I've no way to trace it or otherwise troubleshoot.  Hoping by moving from MacMini to Roon's upcoming Nucleus hardware/software device, I'll not even have these very occasional issues.

Steve Schaffer

Roon Nucleus/ WD USB Drive / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler  / dCS Vivaldi DAC / dCS Vivaldi Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral DMA-500 monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia Series 2 speakers / Shunyata Denali - DPC6 - Sigma Ethernet / Synergistic Research Galileo interconnects / Uptone EtherREGEN switch

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, stevebythebay said:

Awaiting firmware fixes as well as the free MQA firmware.  The one bit I found to be an issue, though infrequent, is switching bitrates. Sometimes when Roon/MacMini is sending bitstreams of one bitrate, say 44kbps w. 16 depth, and then to another song with 192/24 the dCS is not quick to respond or correctly respond.  You get around this via a delay in Roon settings of a second (1000ms).  The only other thing that was due to my system setup is that I needed to enable control flow within my smart switch (Cisco) so as not to "overrun" the Roon software buffering.  Once done, never saw an issue since.  Very rarely do I get any hiccups, and they do not seem to be due to the dCS, but more likely either macOS/Roon platform.  Usually it's either a sudden playback stop with restart or other similar anomaly.  I know it's not the source, since I can even backtrack playback and not see an issue with the NAS.  Likely as not, it's some memory buffering in software; but I've no way to trace it or otherwise troubleshoot.  Hoping by moving from MacMini to Roon's upcoming Nucleus hardware/software device, I'll not even have these very occasional issues.

 

That's interesting about the MQA firmware. Is there any news on the forthcoming update that will enable direct connection to a DAC via the USB? 

 Innuos Zenith SE (Roon Core) > Curious USB/Upton ISO REGEN +LPS-1/USPCB> Chord Hugo TT > ATC SCM 40A

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's coming but not clear whether that gets "baked" into the firmware update I've heard about.

Steve Schaffer

Roon Nucleus/ WD USB Drive / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler  / dCS Vivaldi DAC / dCS Vivaldi Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral DMA-500 monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia Series 2 speakers / Shunyata Denali - DPC6 - Sigma Ethernet / Synergistic Research Galileo interconnects / Uptone EtherREGEN switch

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, pam1975 said:

@stevebythebay can you please share which setting in Roon you are using to set the 1000ms delay? I would like to use it as well.

Just follow: Settings...Audio...Device (Networked)...(gears to right) Device Setup...Resync Delay...choose, for example, 1000ms (that equals a second).

Steve Schaffer

Roon Nucleus/ WD USB Drive / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler  / dCS Vivaldi DAC / dCS Vivaldi Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral DMA-500 monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia Series 2 speakers / Shunyata Denali - DPC6 - Sigma Ethernet / Synergistic Research Galileo interconnects / Uptone EtherREGEN switch

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, stevebythebay said:

I know it's coming but not clear whether that gets "baked" into the firmware update I've heard about.

 

Thanks Steve

 Innuos Zenith SE (Roon Core) > Curious USB/Upton ISO REGEN +LPS-1/USPCB> Chord Hugo TT > ATC SCM 40A

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, stevebythebay said:

Awaiting firmware fixes as well as the free MQA firmware.  The one bit I found to be an issue, though infrequent, is switching bitrates. Sometimes when Roon/MacMini is sending bitstreams of one bitrate, say 44kbps w. 16 depth, and then to another song with 192/24 the dCS is not quick to respond or correctly respond.  You get around this via a delay in Roon settings of a second (1000ms).  The only other thing that was due to my system setup is that I needed to enable control flow within my smart switch (Cisco) so as not to "overrun" the Roon software buffering.  Once done, never saw an issue since.  Very rarely do I get any hiccups, and they do not seem to be due to the dCS, but more likely either macOS/Roon platform.  Usually it's either a sudden playback stop with restart or other similar anomaly.  I know it's not the source, since I can even backtrack playback and not see an issue with the NAS.  Likely as not, it's some memory buffering in software; but I've no way to trace it or otherwise troubleshoot.  Hoping by moving from MacMini to Roon's upcoming Nucleus hardware/software device, I'll not even have these very occasional issues.

 

Did you test a direct bridged connection from you Mac Mini to the dCS? That's a rather great discovery of @romaz, and a very well known tweak on this forum (check the big thread "A novel way to massively...")

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, stevebythebay said:

Wonder if Steven rather than Michael will do the review.

Don't think so, as the Sonore was pictured set up in Michael's barn.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, firedog said:

Don't think so, as the Sonore was pictured set up in Michael's barn.

Good catch. As I recall both have done Sonore reviews in the past. We'll see whether Michael will venture into the comparison swamp, or if he'll beg off that bit. I can't recall if one of his DACs can input both USB and S/PDIF.  Maybe the Totaldac?

Steve Schaffer

Roon Nucleus/ WD USB Drive / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler  / dCS Vivaldi DAC / dCS Vivaldi Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral DMA-500 monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia Series 2 speakers / Shunyata Denali - DPC6 - Sigma Ethernet / Synergistic Research Galileo interconnects / Uptone EtherREGEN switch

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...