IGNORED

dCS Network Bridge

r_w

@Darryl R so is the dCS Network Bridge going to get USB output or not?  If so, when will it be available?  I can't recall where I read that dCS planned to offer USB output.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

8 minutes ago, rickca said:

@Darryl R so is the dCS Network Bridge going to get USB output or not?  If so, when will it be available?  I can't recall where I read that dCS planned to offer USB output.

1. n. nonsense; humbug. That’s just moonshine! I don’t believe a word.

At first I wondered if the Brits use that for the anatomical "moon," but no, it's an idiom for BS.  There is no such upgrade planned.

3 minutes ago, Darryl R said:

1. n. nonsense; humbug. That’s just moonshine! I don’t believe a word.

At first I wondered if the Brits use that with reference to the anatomical moon, but no, it's an idiom for BS.

So with other words you are saying they will not implemend USB output? 

According to my dCS sources and other members here who have contacted dCS , including the distributer it will be included in the next MQA update, but Martin probably dident want say it just or whatever. 

13 minutes ago, Darryl R said:

At first I wondered if the Brits use that for the anatomical "moon," but no, it's an idiom for BS.  There is no such upgrade planned.

OK thanks a lot. 

Here's where I got the misconception that USB output was in plan.  From an Audiostream article dated May 16, 2017

These software updates will include performance enhancements including an MQA update which will natively perform the 1st MQA unfold to 24.96 and the USB port, which is currently for USB storage, will become USB DAC enabled so you can output your data via USB to your USB DAC.

So did Michael Lavorgna get it wrong?

This is important to many people considering the dCS Network Bridge.  I sent this question to dCS several weeks ago and never even got an acknowledgement of my inquiry.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

33 minutes ago, rickca said:

OK thanks a lot. 

Here's where I got the misconception that USB output was in plan.  From an Audiostream article dated May 16, 2017

These software updates will include performance enhancements including an MQA update which will natively perform the 1st MQA unfold to 24.96 and the USB port, which is currently for USB storage, will become USB DAC enabled so you can output your data via USB to your USB DAC.

So did Michael Lavorgna get it wrong?

This is important to many people considering the dCS Network Bridge.  I sent this question to dCS several weeks ago and never even got an acknowledgement of my inquiry.

I'm not in a position to say if that's wrong or not.  I asked Martin if there was a planned upgrade for USB based on consideration of USB as the "least jitter interface."  His response was emphatically "no."  There are pending software upgrades, and this could be among them, though it doesn't entirely make sense to me.  But I now see how this started, and I don't think you can connect the dots that way.  I could be wrong.

OK well now I'm confused whether USB output is coming or not.  I don't get what you mean by saying 'I don't think you can connect the dots that way'.  I'm not trying to be purposely obtuse about this.

7 minutes ago, rickca said:

OK well now I'm confused whether USB output is coming or not.  I don't get what you mean by saying 'I don't think you can connect the dots that way'.  I'm not trying to be purposely obtuse about this.

I understand what you're saying.  But it wasn't you who connected an alleged upgrade with another assertion that USB was the least jitter interface (there is another thread for this discussion).  I'm learning about all of this along with you.  Maybe we're confused because dCS is still working it out.

Let me add that my requirements were the opposite.  I wanted to move away from an asynchronous interface.  But the NB was subtitled "the Swiss Army Knife of Streamers" in another review because it can acommodate a variety of concerns.

Audio output via USB is coming for the Network Bridge as is USB to RS232 control so that the Network Bridge app can control functions of dCS DACs (much in the same way that the Vivaldi Upsampler can control the Vivaldi DAC).

I'm not sure why Martin said what he did, but this has been on the roadmap for quite some time. I should know as I made the business case to get both of these features added.

Programme Manager, Streaming Audio

Data Conversion Systems, Ltd

10 minutes ago, AMP said:

Audio output via USB is coming for the Network Bridge as is USB to RS232 control so that the Network Bridge app can control functions of dCS DACs (much in the same way that the Vivaldi Upsampler can control the Vivaldi DAC).

I'm not sure why Martin said what he did, but this has been on the roadmap for quite some time. I should know as I made the business case to get both of these features added.

Perhaps I conflated two issues with him.  I'll welcome any efficient software upgrade.

Curious why no one included I2S in the mix since it's the native format for CD players and DACs and an input on some DACs (including mine).

4x20A circuits | Shunyata Triton + Typhon | Source 1: HDPlex HD100 PSU -> OCX clock + EtherRegen -> Paul Hynes SR4T + HDPlex HD500 PSUs -> Music PC w/JCAT XE nic, HQPlayer, Roon, Tidal / Qobuz |  TotalDAC D1 Twelve DAC + Mk II Streamer | Source 2: Acoustic Signature Ascona with Kuzma 4 Point tonearm | Koetsu Rosewood Signature cart | Pass XP-15 phono pre | Audionet Pre G2 preamp | Audionet Max mono blocks | Vivid Audio Giya Spirits |  4 JL Audio Fathom subs | Echole ICs /SCs / Siltech King jumpers, Shunyata/Audioquest PCs / Eth. Cs | Critical Mass CS2s -> components, Isoacoustics -> speakers + subs | Adona Eris II rack w/ Herbie's titanium footers | Fully treated and dedicated 2 channel room

2 hours ago, Darryl R said:

Perhaps I conflated two issues with him.  I'll welcome any efficient software upgrade.

Somethimes it goes a little to fast on the keyboard in here. 

It will be implemended for sure! 

The NB antenna will also be released and sent out to all NB owners in not a too distant time for wireless use / control. 

@sb6

I2S is a upcoming and interesting standard, and most likely most of the big brands will implemend this in a few years time. 

Do you got a M2Tech or what I2S DAC are you using? 

25 minutes ago, Beolab said:

Somethimes it goes a little to fast on the keyboard in here. 

It will be implemended for sure! 

The NB antenna will also be released and sent out to all NB owners in not a too distant time for wireless use / control. 

@sb6

I2S is a upcoming and interesting standard, and most likely most of the big brands will implemend this in a few years time. 

I believe I2S has been around for many years for I/O between transports and DACs (e.g.: CD players that output analog).

I have an Aqua Formula. I'm not using I2S, I use USB but the optional input is available.

4x20A circuits | Shunyata Triton + Typhon | Source 1: HDPlex HD100 PSU -> OCX clock + EtherRegen -> Paul Hynes SR4T + HDPlex HD500 PSUs -> Music PC w/JCAT XE nic, HQPlayer, Roon, Tidal / Qobuz |  TotalDAC D1 Twelve DAC + Mk II Streamer | Source 2: Acoustic Signature Ascona with Kuzma 4 Point tonearm | Koetsu Rosewood Signature cart | Pass XP-15 phono pre | Audionet Pre G2 preamp | Audionet Max mono blocks | Vivid Audio Giya Spirits |  4 JL Audio Fathom subs | Echole ICs /SCs / Siltech King jumpers, Shunyata/Audioquest PCs / Eth. Cs | Critical Mass CS2s -> components, Isoacoustics -> speakers + subs | Adona Eris II rack w/ Herbie's titanium footers | Fully treated and dedicated 2 channel room

11 minutes ago, Darryl R said:

Right, when you falsely attributed something to Martin Reynolds he didn't say.

This is very confusing and tear the thread, he have miss read your question obviously. 

USB output will be implemented, end of story. 

3 hours ago, Beolab said:

@sb6

I2S was released in 1986, 31 years ago. Tough to call it an up and comer :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I suspect that Martin Reynold's “moonshine” comment was in reference to the idea that USB was a lower jitter solution than AES,  not to a USB update for the bridge.

Ambiguity arose because the question had two clauses, one about a USB update and one about USB’s supposed superiority.

So, Martin was not misquoted, he was misinterpreted.

21 minutes ago, scottsol said:

I suspect that Martin Reynold's “moonshine” comment was in reference to the idea that USB was a lower jitter solution than AES,  not to a USB update for the bridge.

Ambiguity arose because the question had two clauses, one about a USB update and one about USB’s supposed superiority.

So, Martin was not misquoted, he was misinterpreted.

Yes most likely, that is the case. 

The cable debate can be discussed in ertarnety, i just quoted a few designers who have stated this during the years. 

https://www.stereophile.com/content/dcs-network-bridge-network-player

Class A.

The review might have been more complete with an optical isolated network, and proper vibration management on the NBr instead of putting it on another device. (I find my Absolare Stabilian footers, which are similar to Ansuz Darkz resonance control, indispensable, on my Finite Elemente Master Rack)

Kii Three + BXT, dCS Network Bridge, Astell&Kern SP2000, Stromtank 2500, Roon Nucleus, Echole Power Cables, Mogami + Bocchino AES, SOTM Switch + CAT7 + CAT8

2 hours ago, KunterK said:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/dcs-network-bridge-network-player

Class A.

The review might have been more complete with an optical isolated network, and proper vibration management on the NBr instead of putting it on another device. (I find my Absolare Stabilian footers, which are similar to Ansuz Darkz resonance control, indispensable, on my Finite Elemente Master Rack)

Great review to read, i hope this will spread the word of a great product that dCS has designed. 

What do you guys think of optical network combined with the NB ? 

I am using just two optical media converters, and think they open up the sound spectra, but it is nothing hughe in diffrence. 

6 hours ago, Beolab said:

What do you guys think of optical network combined with the NB ? 

I am using just two optical media converters, and think they open up the sound spectra, but it is nothing hughe in diffrence

Try using battery power at least for the one close to your system, preferably for both, and use a 50/125 optical cable between, not 62.5/125.

Kii Three + BXT, dCS Network Bridge, Astell&Kern SP2000, Stromtank 2500, Roon Nucleus, Echole Power Cables, Mogami + Bocchino AES, SOTM Switch + CAT7 + CAT8

7 hours ago, KunterK said:

Try using battery power at least for the one close to your system, preferably for both, and use a 50/125 optical cable between, not 62.5/125.

Got the UPTONE LPS-1 for the last media converter.

it is singel mode and the optical cable is  singlemode-fiber cable. 2x SC- till 2x SC-connector. Klass: OS2. Dimension: 9/125 µm.

what rechargeable  battery do you have in mind ,  Kingrex UPS or ? 

Then just for fun i tried to use the SPDIF 2 Interface BNC with Wordclock Output from the NB last night and pass trough the Master clock, but i did not get any sound out of the BNC SPDIF 2 outlets , just from the RCA Spdif. 

Is it a Dual output and you most use both SPDIF 2 BNC outlets to get a signal, has someone tested this? 

The sound from the RCA SPDIF outlet combined with the onboard word.clock output from NB felt very naked and flat without any depht, so the Master Clock does a huge jobb in comparison.