IGNORED

dCS Network Bridge

r_w

Hi Steve,

Thanks for posting your thoughts on the Network Bridge. I have until recently dismissed the idea of this unit, since I have been married to USB for a long while. Great developments I've learned from CA have always kept me satisfied with it for so long, that other protocols such as AES/EBU I've never had the opportunity to test out. Had this product been released a few years earlier, I would have contacted a dCS dealer to get a loan for demonstration.

So why am I interested in the dCS Network bridge, despite costing a greater deal than my current microRendu/LPS-1 combo (soon to add an ISO Regen)? Because the part-time audiophile news release saying they will upgrade the Debussy DAC Q3 2017 (my DAC since 2011) to accept DXD and DSD256 over dual AES, which will pair nicely with the Network Bridge.

There's a bit to lose by switching, like HQPlayer functionality (still contemplating purchasing or trying the embedded version). But if the sound quality is much improved, judging by impression that you've mentioned, I'll be preparing those USB 'divorce' papers! :/ Happy dilemma! 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tdimler said:

I'm also looking at the dCS bridge vs the new Auralic G2.  One thing I'm having trouble getting information on is the dCS streaming app.  Can anyone provide their impression of it's ease and user interface?

Thanks

I just happen to be reading the Network Bridge Manual - from page 10 there are a few steps with screenshots on app use. I have no first hand impression, but hope you get something out of it (to me it seems similar to iPeng/mPod I have been using the last few years). 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, pam1975 said:

I added a Mutec MC3+ USB today as external masterclock and felt the SQ improvement was minor.

What do you conclude from this minor sound bump? The NB might already have a decent internal clock? Are you anticipating a major bump if the new REF10 clock is added in?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, AmusedToD said:

Has anybody compared the dCS NB to the likes of Sotm sms200Ultra or ultraRendu?

Look out for the review of the Sonore Signature Rendu SE in Audiostream in the coming weeks. I'm sure a comparison with  the network bridge will be made.

I was pondering with testing the dCS bridge, but after buying the Lush USB cable, there's no way I'm ready to move to the Ethernet protocol anytime soon (AES67/Ravenna now long forgotten).

3 hours ago, stevebythebay said:

I have to wonder if the "problems" they are claiming to mitigate really need fixing. "Clocking" occurs at all points along the path, it would seem.  And it's part of each Ethernet frame. Error checking is done all along the way ensuring bits out and in correspond, with necessary buffering and control flow, especially with smart switches. So, that's not an issue. I suppose going with battery power might help.  However, I've never heard that electrical issues plague Ethernet devices that are well designed.

I am in no way endorsing the Waversa hub and their claims, but I think there maybe more to discover with ethernet transmission. We all thought and been told of the 'perfect' asynchronous USB transmission for many years, only just to find some groundbreaking products surface recently. I don't want to disagree with anything you said, since this is all I have to play with (Mac to router, wifi extender, ethernet isolator, network player), but I will be open to engineers to provide some answers to what can be fixed in ethernet once more products like the network bridge and Ravenna overtake USB based computers in the coming years.

@AmusedToD Where did you get the information about no. 2, i.e. Internal Linear PSU? I understand if it had something along the lines of 'discrete linear regulators'. But usually dCS have their units powered by well designed SMPS. I only know of the Sonore Sig Rendu having the internal Linear PSU.

Thanks @stevebythebay for the clarification on source. I read that review sometime ago too.

With the key features on the dCS site the Network bridge has:

• Multi-stage power regulation isolates digital and sensitive clock circuitry.

This didn't strike me as being Linear. I don't want to make any issue with dCS design choices. Every component I own has an in-built SMPS, but I know CA members would look on the Linear supply as beneficial.

It played into my mind the tear down of the @Vinnie Rossi Mini Pure PSU and an outcry when an SMPS was powering the circuitry. I still believe the importance of isolation in these next generation devices.

• 1 year later...