IGNORED

dCS Network Bridge

r_w

Ordered one dCS NB in Silver after an extensive comparission with Auralic Aries and MicroR , Aurrender N10 and W20. 

The best sound i have heard from a streamer period! 

It will after delivery be connected to my new dCS Puccini DAC/SACD 1 Bit DSD upsampler sw 1.4 .1

combined with  the Puccini Master U-Clock Mk II .

This combo creates a flawless sound. 

• 2 weeks later...

Discovered that the dCS Bridge can read MQA files, it see them as a 24/48khz Flac file. 

I did not know that it could read / see them at all witout the MQA upgrade. Other streamers can see them but they just read them as 16/44.1 files. 

Two examples: 

Steely Dan : Two against Nature 

Kari Bremnes: Det Vi har 

albums

I does not got the MQA SW yet, but it can read and unfould MQA files in Tidal to 24/48khz and unfould MQA files on my HDD and they are read as 24/96 Flac or 24/192. 

And i also found it to read a MQA 32/192khz and it was readalso  as a Flac file. So it got some support, and the sound is a few notches better in fluid resolution than SACD or CD in my oppinion with the latest appodizing DSP PCM filter no pre / after ringing. 

• 4 weeks later...

My mainboard version is 1.4, but in the manual they display version 1.45 ?? 

Then the NB App need to read in the Tidal playlist and tracks over and over again, it cant rember it, and it crasches often, is this something the rest of you also have discovered? 

I am using the same config with dual clocking. 

The sound is great, one of the best on the market! 

But what i I don't like is the behaiour of the App, it moves out to the welcome screen each time i toggle back and forth between apps, it also starts all over again from the top in the album list if i browse to tracks inside the album, and then go backwards. It cant remember the tracks / Album in Tidal, so it read them in on the fly like slow old computer. 

It crashes and starts over again an so on, very unstable app i have to say, but maybe it is because of my network access points / repeters interfere where i sit in my listening room. So i would be glad if someone can describe if they have the same issues, or if it is just my NB + NB App that behave like this? 

In comparison my other old streaming products, like Auralic ,  Oppo 105 , BlueSounde,  Aurrender , does not behave like this, they read in everything and remember it, and the app do not crash. 

34519662-3006-4A24-8809-A031F53612C7.jpeg

I have had the same problem, and you can i just turned of the NB a few seconds (pull out the mains power) and then removed the app. 

Did a soft reset of the iphone, installed the NB app, and the started up the NB. 

Filled in the Tidal credentials and then it works again. 

So begin with just pull the mains of the NB, i think it is stuck / frozen just.

The App and FW in the NB are highly unstable, so i hope dCS reads this thread! 

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Thanks a lot Beolab !!

I followed your recommendations, and began with a power off and pulling the mains off the NB a few seconds and restarted it and Tidal worked again flawlessly within the NB app.

Don't understand really what is the logic in there but it worked perfectly. As you say, the link between the NB and the app is very unstable.

Hope that is something that will be corrected in a future app update alongside Wi-Fi availability and USB out.

Thanks again, very appreciated.

Glad to help out! ;) 

i hope they are not to happy with the unstability of the App and FW in the dCS. I was on a dCS Rossini demo session this weekend combined with the NB because the NB sounds better than the integrated streamer, but it did hang up 2 times during the demo session. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, AmusedToD said:

Isn’t SPDIF the only available digital input on the Puccini player? I think it doesn’t have dual AES, so unfortunately you aren’t able to compare that type of connection to SPDIF. In my experience, dual AES is superior in every way.

I met Liam from dCS on a HiFi show last week, a great guy indeed!  But he is a sales manager, not sure he is the right person to ask about technical features of dCS devices. 

A friend of mine just bought a Rossini clock yesterday to use with his Paganini SACD transport and Rossini DAC. So I will have the chance to borrow it and see if there are any real benefits (especially in terms of cost) from using it with the NBR and my Paganini DAC.

That is correct, but he re-direct my questions to the developers, or i can send the queation to developer Martin Reynolds at dCS.

great news, what do you think about the rossini master clock in you setup, did you here the diffrence ? 

57 minutes ago, Darryl R said:

Disregard Chris, I caught Martin at his desk, and he responded via email that the alleged USB upgrade to the NB is "complete moonshine!"

This hobby is challenging enough without people playing fast and loose with facts.

What was your question to Martin and what was his answer to you then, that USB is no good but we will implemend it anyways or ?  ?

dCS will make this SW update because of the connectivity and because of the sound enhancement for other users without a Master Clock and without AES XLR inputs on their DAC. 

This is just common sence. 

The USB is superior the AES spec wise, if you read about the design of the technology. 

3 minutes ago, Darryl R said:

1. n. nonsense; humbug. That’s just moonshine! I don’t believe a word.

At first I wondered if the Brits use that with reference to the anatomical moon, but no, it's an idiom for BS.

So with other words you are saying they will not implemend USB output? 

According to my dCS sources and other members here who have contacted dCS , including the distributer it will be included in the next MQA update, but Martin probably dident want say it just or whatever. 

2 hours ago, Darryl R said:

Perhaps I conflated two issues with him.  I'll welcome any efficient software upgrade.

Somethimes it goes a little to fast on the keyboard in here. 

It will be implemended for sure! 

The NB antenna will also be released and sent out to all NB owners in not a too distant time for wireless use / control. 

@sb6

I2S is a upcoming and interesting standard, and most likely most of the big brands will implemend this in a few years time. 

Do you got a M2Tech or what I2S DAC are you using? 

11 minutes ago, Darryl R said:

Right, when you falsely attributed something to Martin Reynolds he didn't say.

This is very confusing and tear the thread, he have miss read your question obviously. 

USB output will be implemented, end of story. 

21 minutes ago, scottsol said:

I suspect that Martin Reynold's “moonshine” comment was in reference to the idea that USB was a lower jitter solution than AES,  not to a USB update for the bridge.

Ambiguity arose because the question had two clauses, one about a USB update and one about USB’s supposed superiority.

So, Martin was not misquoted, he was misinterpreted.

Yes most likely, that is the case. 

The cable debate can be discussed in ertarnety, i just quoted a few designers who have stated this during the years. 

2 hours ago, KunterK said:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/dcs-network-bridge-network-player

Class A.

The review might have been more complete with an optical isolated network, and proper vibration management on the NBr instead of putting it on another device. (I find my Absolare Stabilian footers, which are similar to Ansuz Darkz resonance control, indispensable, on my Finite Elemente Master Rack)

Great review to read, i hope this will spread the word of a great product that dCS has designed. 

What do you guys think of optical network combined with the NB ? 

I am using just two optical media converters, and think they open up the sound spectra, but it is nothing hughe in diffrence. 

7 hours ago, KunterK said:

Try using battery power at least for the one close to your system, preferably for both, and use a 50/125 optical cable between, not 62.5/125.

Got the UPTONE LPS-1 for the last media converter.

it is singel mode and the optical cable is  singlemode-fiber cable. 2x SC- till 2x SC-connector. Klass: OS2. Dimension: 9/125 µm.

what rechargeable  battery do you have in mind ,  Kingrex UPS or ? 

Then just for fun i tried to use the SPDIF 2 Interface BNC with Wordclock Output from the NB last night and pass trough the Master clock, but i did not get any sound out of the BNC SPDIF 2 outlets , just from the RCA Spdif. 

Is it a Dual output and you most use both SPDIF 2 BNC outlets to get a signal, has someone tested this? 

The sound from the RCA SPDIF outlet combined with the onboard word.clock output from NB felt very naked and flat without any depht, so the Master Clock does a huge jobb in comparison. 

13 minutes ago, Darryl R said:

Perhaps, but also a misinterpretation for an active member in this thread to connect the two (now in another thread), and that's what started the exchange.  I can say after having spent several days comparing in my system, there is no comparison in SQ between the two interfaces.  Dual AES with synchronization wins hands down.

On another note, I've been compiling a list of buggy behavior with the control app and play queue functionality.  My larger concern is that with everyone tugging them here and there for enhancements dCS are not focusing on existing problems (which one hopes are only software related).

Darryl , if i wright something in this thread, do you then think i would like to mislead people with faulse propaganda and facts ? 

dCS UK and the distributor have told me that the USB output will be 384khz equal to Dual AES when the SW update is released, we will see if that is correct info or not, and how it will sound compared to the Dual AES. 

( What Martin and i have wrote to eachother is nothing you can know about)

What he answered you is another story. 

So i felt that you hang me out as a untrustfull member in a childish way, can you understand my feeling ?

So can we please focus on the topic, without hanging out people with false accusations that they are lying and so on please. 

I will report all types of false accusations from now on. 

Please move on to the subject instead. 

I dont want to control anything

I just do not take any falty accusations from you or anyone else for that matter, and you keep taking up the subjet and refer to me as a laying member in the thread that why i dont give up, but you seems to think this is a sport for you and like to have the last word. 

So please move on

Oh god , here we go again.. 

how can you say i have maked the faulse statement, when i wrote to dCS for more than one month ago, and what name did you refering to in your question? 

He responded Moonshine, thats a nice and professional answer, and then you accusing me for false statments. This story does not holding up for you Chris. 

Have an nice evening

18 minutes ago, AmusedToD said:

Last night I borrowed my friend’s Rossini clock in order to try it out between my NBR and Paganini DAC.

I connected the NBR to the Rossini clock via 2 BNC cables (regular ones, nothing fancy) and the Paganini DAC to the Rossini clock via 1 Oyaide silver BNC cable.

I compared two setups: NBR clock out to Paganini DAC clock in, and both the NBR and the Paganini DAC to the Rossini clock.

Well, what can I say - there is a very slight improvement but nothing substantial that would make me run and spend my hard earned cash on a clock. As a matter of fact, I experienced greater improvement by switching from single to dual AES/EBU. Either the clocks inside the NBR are already very very good, or the master clock makes more sense with a CD transport. I don’t know, but I am happy it didn’t blow me away as I will be able to redirect some cash towards better cables and/or better amp.

On the other hand, the Rossini clock makes a substantial improvement in my friend’s setup (Paganini SACD transport - Rossini DAC) by producing a larger soundstage with more air around instruments and a lower noise floor. 

There it is. No clock for me.

4 minutes ago, AmusedToD said:

And another thing, I switched back from using a network switch (powered by a very good Sbooster linear PSU with the Sbooster Ultra addon) to the famous Romaz tweak of going direct (bridged connection) from my Roon server to the NBR. And guess what, it sounds better, and my PC server is a regular noisy computer which is not optimized for audio. This hobby is definitely crazy.

That is very strange that you did not feel any or just slight improvment, i got a loaner Rossini Clock here at home and if i connect it to the Rossini DAC and NBR, i gain a pretty huge diffrence in dehpt , layering , soundstadge , and it sounds more relaxed with dithering set to On, and i am using dual AES 110 Ohm XLR cables, and normal Canares BNC - BNC 75ohm cables in the same lengt and model. 

Without the Rossini Clock and just connect it between Rossini DAC and the NBR with word.clock out from the NBR,  the sound becomes very precise and got great resolution, but is very flat and slight hard in the edges. More like listening to a flat near field studio monitor speakers, So to my ears the clock does like 25-35% gain,  the precision and separation excluded, but every other variable will have a boost. 

I get the same result if i test this with my other own Puccini DAC + Master Clock with Dither set to on ( using Spdif insted of Dual AES ) 

So if you could test and place your NBR in your friends setup instead, and do the same test again would be interesting to see what the reults wiuld be then. 

About the switch / Roon, i have discovered that the NBR is very insensitive for what you throw at it, if i use just a RJ45 cable direct from the router or if i connect the optical Media Converters, or a AQVOX SE Switch in between,  the sound is almost the same, and that proves that the NBR is a very well built product and i think it is also down to the galvanic isolated RJ45 input. And also less interuption in the signal is mostly the best way, even it is intriguing to try diffrent add-ons, but it can make it worse also.

What i can recommend is the CAD cg1 or cg3 ground control box though, it makes the musical order, more perfect and you get a blacker background. 

Then another discovery is that the NBR works better and is more reliable if i connect it to the WAN outlet of the access point insted of the LAN port. The sound is equal, but it starts to remember what song i listening to or album, less crashes in the app and so on. 

Have a great Audio Sunday 

4 hours ago, AmusedToD said:

I thought you had a Puccini player?

The Rossini clock does bring out the extra dose of calmness along with a larger soundstage, but it does so in my friend’s Paganini transport - Rossini DAC setup and that’s very clear and obvious.

In my own setup consisting of the NBR and the Paganini DAC, it brings some improvements in terms of soundstage, but it’s so slight that I have erased it from my purchase list. I just don’t feel it’s worth the cost.

Regarding switches and bridged connections, I prefer the direct bridged connection definitely. Good ethernet cables do raise the NBR performance (I am using a Supra CAT7 and Wireworld Starlight 7 with a SOtM ISO-LAN filter in between), so I would not say the NBR it totally immune to upstream changes.

This little test has reinforced my thinking into getting an “optimized” server (like the SonicTransporter) and running it in bridged mode straight into the NBR. The upcoming SOtM reclocking switch might be a great addition too.

Other people’s experiences and opinions might defer, we all have different ears at the end of the day.

The Rossini DAC + Clock is only a loaner as i mentioned, and i like the sound performance, but not so much diffrence as i would buy it, i like the sound i get with the Puccini + Master Clock + NBR just as it is. 

The Puccini Clock vs Rossini clock is pretty equal to my ears and got also the same jitter value -0,1 ppm , so a recomendation is to find a used Puccini master clock, could be an option. Just you need to toggle between the two ground 44.1 / 48 clock rates.