IGNORED

dCS Network Bridge

r_w

Neither am I but if it sounds fantastic and has AES EBU and copies the entire file to a local streaming buffer then it might out do the N100 - I never, ever look at the N100's screen so wouldn't miss it.

???

Network streamers buffer...it's what they do. Did I just sound like that commercial on TV:)

Yeah but there are different methods of supplying the 'buffering', Aurender's method of entire file copy to local store (SSD or RAM) makes the most sense to me.

They appear to use the MPD for their player and that has been a standard feature for as long as I can remember. It makes sense when you have a local spinning drive, but network steamer are generally solid state.

• 6 months later...

I was pleased with the review considering the comparison and compared to the cost delta between the two solutions. However, what Michael fails to mention is that Vincent from Totaldac often prefers the AES-EBU input on his device depending on the source. He likes USB when it is connected to the Totaldac reclocker, than an AES-EBU link is used from the reclocker to the DAC. I have a customer doing this so I emailed Vincent out of curiosity. My point is that you have to be careful when you make these types of comparisons. What Steve has done is IMO is the right approach...he is trying it out in his system.

44 minutes ago, stevebythebay said:

Thank's.  These are systems after all.  Even the "weakest link in the chain" notion is problematic.  Every device/cable in the system can be both affected or affect other elements in the process of getting bits from network/disk to produce sound in the room.  

As an aside, my testing with the dCS Network Bridge has revealed that what's coming into the Roon enabled device (microRendu or the dCS Network Bridge) seems to be affected by any intermediary devices.  In my case the Berkeley Alpha USB D-D converter (USB in AES/EBU out).  It appears to be "choking off" data going into the DAC.  It's especially evident with lower frequencies.  Playing the Saint-Saens Sym. 3 Organ 192/24 from Ref. Recordings I do not get the room rumbling and audible very low organ frequencies from the microRendu/Berkeley Alpha USB combo.  Putting the dCS Network Bridge in it's place bring these elements out quite clearly.  In the absence of any other means for "placing blame", I'm inclined to think this is a limitation in the Berkeley rather than Sonore component.  The Berkeley is about 5 years old and likely using much less capable clocking and other elements than what is possible today.  But that's just my guess.

As for cost delta it really is not as great as you might imagine: the dCS is $4250.  Replacing the microRendu - Sonore Signature Power supply - Berkeley Alpha USB = $3934 and if you do, as I did, opt for the SR fuses you arrive at  of $4124.  So, it's nearly the same cost.  All other cabling (AC from Berkeley into dCS and Ethernet) remains the same.

I'm aware of the cost of your components and I'm perfectly okay with the simplicity that the dCS brings to your setup. My reference to cost was in regards to Michael's setup in the review. He compared a microRendu with and Uptone Audio LPS-1 power supply, which is significantly less money compared, to the dCS.