IGNORED

Trying to Set Up Airport Extreme Ethernet Network with iPhone Hotspot for Internet

Hey Now,

I am not sure this is possible or not. I am hoping/thinking it is 8^). Currently I have an Airport Extreme wireless/ethernet network set up using satellite internet and the cost is quite high. We recently got very good coverage of cellular LTE out here in the country side and the cost is about half of the satellite internet for data using our iPhones as hotspots. I would like to swap out the satellite service and use the cellular hotspot.

I have gotten close but I have been fiddling around with no apparent knowledge of networking. I can set up the ethernet network with no access to the internet, or be off the ethernet network with access to the internet with the iPhone hotspot. I need to keep the same set up I have now, it works good. I was hoping I might get some advice and see if it is possible. Here is my current network set up:

Satellite modem > ethernet > Airport Extreme (WAN port) > 1st port - iMac

> 2nd port - music streamer with HQPlayer's NAA

> 3rd port - PowerLine adapter > switch > RPi2 and Airport Express (wifi extender mode)

I need an ethernet network for the HQPlayer to NAA for my music streamer. But I also stream Tidal too, so I need internet access while streaming to the NAA. I have only been able to set up an either or situation, I only chose one or the other in the Network settings, ethernet or iPhone (USB or Wifi).

I was reading about a wireless ethernet bridge (?). Is this what I could use to get internet access from the iPhone hotspot into the Airport Extreme WAN port and maintain an ethernet network for HQPlayer/NAA? If so, any advice on which wireless ethernet bridge to purchase and how to set it up? Thanks in advance.

--

Finest kind,

Chris

- -

Finest kind,

Chris

From the Source of All Truth: Google :-)

Quote:

Here are the basic steps, using the AirPort Utility:

Run the AirPort Utility.

Select the Extreme, and then, select Edit.

Select Advanced.

Select the "DHCP and NAT" option, and then, Router Mode.

Change Router Mode to: Off (Bridge Mode)

Click on Done

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

You can set up the Airport Extreme as a wireless ethernet bridge.

Hey Now,

I tried, but I don't think this works for me. I lose the network and can't use the NAA. I tried several different settings and none worked for what I want to do.

From the Source of All Truth: Google :-)

Quote:

Here are the basic steps, using the AirPort Utility:

Run the AirPort Utility.

Select the Extreme, and then, select Edit.

Select Advanced.

Select the "DHCP and NAT" option, and then, Router Mode.

Change Router Mode to: Off (Bridge Mode)

Click on Done

This must be for an older version of the Airport Utility. My version 6.3.5 does on have an advanced tab. I did get the Airport Extreme to go into Bridge Mode, but again, this did not give me the results I was looking for.

Thanks for your suggestions, but I am still wondering if what I want to do is possible. Do I need to purchase another piece of equipment? And how do I configure the network to use my iPhone as a hotspot and have my LAN co-exist? Thanks again.

--

Finest kind,

Chris

- -

Finest kind,

Chris