IGNORED

Measurements n'stuff

I've been away a while, got a bit burnt out with the whole internet forum thing, but I've been lurking for a little bit...

If anyone remembers me from my past excursions on here, they might know that threads that are patently technically incorrect are the ones that might pique my interest enough to respond so...

I've noticed a couple of threads where people are comparing measurements, "proving" things one way or another.

A recent example of this is whereby some measurements were posted from another forum. Stereophile magazine took similar measurements, and these were used to "prove" that the original measurements were "wrong".

I love graphs and stuff, so I couldn't help but notice that the original graph had completely different scales from the stereophile graph, to the extent that the original graphs problem points didn't fit in the stereophile graph ( one is DC-22kHz, signal appears to be at +10dB, other is 7.5k-14.5k, who knows where the peak is ). Neither graph had any interesting things that would let you actually interpret the results between the two measurements ( one says 11kHz, the J-test is by definition -12dBFS @ 1/4FS ), no FFT lengths, averages etc.

So, to sum up, I really don't care that much about whatever point was trying to be made, or the merits or demerits of the DAC being measured, but simple, basic stuff has been completely ignored in favor of quick hits. If you're going to make or use measurements in an argument, please have the decency to compare apples to apples.

Your friendly neighbourhood idiot

I love graphs and stuff, so I couldn't help but notice that the original graph had completely different scales from the stereophile graph, to the extent that the original graphs problem points didn't fit in the stereophile graph

How_to_Lie_with_Statistics.jpg

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

If anyone remembers me from my past excursions on here...

I certainly do. Welcome back.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro