IGNORED

Bricasti M1 SE & other DACs under 10k worth auditioning

6 hours ago, fsmithjack said:

matthias - great question. Thank you

I will be giving my feedback on this insane DAC soon.

He just can't build them quick enough because everyone wants one! I don't want to make it harder by getting into it too much just yet but trust me when I tell you this is a very different and refined digital instrument that has been honed over and over and sharpen'd to a razors edge and it just flat out slashes and rips through everything!  

Pure DSD through this DAC is so pristine and analogue it will make your eyes water.

It is insane.

I plan on sharing all the details on a dedicated thread soon.

Even listening at the lower levels it has this dynamic jump, this movement past where it is, its stops and starts are startling. It is so vibrant and so immensely transparent I just couldn't believe it.

I had goosebumps running up the back of my arms and neck and was like WTF.

It breathes and flows unlike any other digital product I have ever heard. Nothing about it is digital like.  

I don't want to take anything away from the M1 because there are some family similarities but make no mistake, the M21 is a naturally born predator with an unstoppable and insatiable appetite.

It just flat out rips and it is running rough shot a the top of the digital food chain with consequences throwing off the balance of the entire digital ecosystem.

Yes digital is moving forward my friends and making leaps and bounds in the Ethernet, clocks and analogue DSD domain that is going where no one has ever gone before and it is so great for us. Higher tides rises all boats and this thing is a full blown tsunami.  Yippie Ky ayyy...

It is a legit existential threat to anything digital. Stay tuned  :)   

Can't agree with you more - on the M1SE which I had and loved, then moved to the M12 and will be moving to the M21 I hope soon.  Heard it at Axpona and it was awesome.  Also totally agree with the Bricasti support and updates that to me is a huge plus on top of the top quality sound.

As you can see I have gone the Aurender route to feed my Bricasti just am not a big fan of Roon.  Anxious to hear your comments on the M21!!

2 Channel: Bricasti M20, 21 & M28 SE /Aurender N30SA and MC10 Master clock Treatments: Acoustical panels(F, S & R walls) Misc.: SR Master Fuses

Speakers: Martin Logan CLX ART (Dark Cherry) w/30# weights / 2-ML 212's 

Grounding: QKore 1&6 / Networking: SOtM switch, clock and Pwr Supply / AQ Diamond /SR Router Power: Furutech GTX-DNCF / Oyaide inwall  wire

Nordost: 2-QB8 III, QV2's, QK1's, QSine, QWave, QX4, TC Kones, Sort Fut & LIft / Full OG Loom / 3-QSource & 12-QPoints, QNet, V2 Network

Misc.: iPad 6 /Custom Rack  Media Rm: ML: 13A's, 2-Descent i's, 6- Vanquish, Focus / 3-Parasound A23 / Legacy iV-3 Ultra / 77" LG 4k OLED / Anthem AVM90 / Pioneer Elite DVD Nordost: Odin/T2/H2, BC Kones, H2 Network, V2 HDMI

• 1 year later...

Hey Guys. First time to post. I know this started as a $10K under DAC thread..then kind of trickled up. I too am in the need of  a new DAC. 

Really want to knock it out of the park BUT somewhat stay in the budget. Considering the dCS Bartok (no headphone amp) and the M21. But after reading this thread the M3 might be worth considering? 

Anyone here have some experience with demoing the new Bartok vs the Bricasti? I am hoping to try and arrange to get these in my own home to listen to. 

Thanks in advance. 

• 1 month later...

Re Bricasti M3, I recently traded a Luxman DA-06 for an M3. As Barrows states in another thread, M3 is perfect for use with Roon if upsampling in software to DSD128 as it uses a completely separate circuitry from PCM, and this is wonderful for jazz, chamber and orchestral, but I also enjoy PCM for R&B and Reggae, without software upsampling – more oomph, to use a technical term, at the expense of some refinement. Both codices deliver considerably more detail than the Luxman (which is good, but a bit long in the tooth now), with greater space around instruments (much easier to follow individual lines) and in particular a striking improvement in representing timbre – bowed strings have a woody resonance for the first time - and a more resolved bass. It achieves the curious feat of being both more detailed and more euphonious. For more context, I couldn't stand the Mytek Brooklyn (first version) for its digital edginess and sold it on. The Luxman was much more agreeable, but the Bricasti bests it. So, Timobi, I suggest listening to a Bricasti!

Desktop: SonicTranporter i7, Ubiquiti switch, optical, OpticalRendu, Musician Pegasus, Linear Tube MicroZOTL 3, ZMF Verite Open

Main: SonicTransporter i7, Uniquiti switch, optical, EtherRegen, Lumin U1, Bricasti M3, Naim 252/250, DeVore Gibbon Nines

3 hours ago, johnwilk said:

Re Bricasti M3, I recently traded a Luxman DA-06 for an M3. As Barrows states in another thread, M3 is perfect for use with Roon if upsampling in software to DSD128 as it uses a completely separate circuitry from PCM, and this is wonderful for jazz, chamber and orchestral, but I also enjoy PCM for R&B and Reggae, without software upsampling – more oomph, to use a technical term, at the expense of some refinement. Both codices deliver considerably more detail than the Luxman (which is good, but a bit long in the tooth now), with greater space around instruments (much easier to follow individual lines) and in particular a striking improvement in representing timbre – bowed strings have a woody resonance for the first time - and a more resolved bass. It achieves the curious feat of being both more detailed and more euphonious. For more context, I couldn't stand the Mytek Brooklyn (first version) for its digital edginess and sold it on. The Luxman was much more agreeable, but the Bricasti bests it. So, Timobi, I suggest listening to a Bricasti!

Thanks for sharing.

What is your set-up upstream to the Bricasti?

MBP, opticalRendu?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

Ubiquiti switch with optical, optical ethernet to Sonore optical module to Lumin U1. Roon delivered from SonicTransporter (i7), music files on Synology NAS, and streaming Qobuz. I also have a headphone system from the second optical output on the Ubiquiti, optical cable to Sonore Optical Rendu to a Sony TA-Z1 headphone amp.

Best

John

Desktop: SonicTranporter i7, Ubiquiti switch, optical, OpticalRendu, Musician Pegasus, Linear Tube MicroZOTL 3, ZMF Verite Open

Main: SonicTransporter i7, Uniquiti switch, optical, EtherRegen, Lumin U1, Bricasti M3, Naim 252/250, DeVore Gibbon Nines

• 4 months later...

Hi guys,

I came across a new DAC from the Bricasti Professional line, the MC1 Reference DAC:

https://www.bricasti.com/en/pro/mc1.php

It seems to be similar to the M1, has the new MDx board too and supports up to DSD256.

I am curious if someone listened to it and can share some impressions.

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)