IGNORED

Bricasti M1 SE & other DACs under 10k worth auditioning

udis so have you come to a conclusion with the Bricasti?

2 Channel: Bricasti M20, 21 & M28 SE /Aurender N30SA and MC10 Master clock Treatments: Acoustical panels(F, S & R walls) Misc.: SR Master Fuses

Speakers: Martin Logan CLX ART (Dark Cherry) w/30# weights / 2-ML 212's 

Grounding: QKore 1&6 / Networking: SOtM switch, clock and Pwr Supply / AQ Diamond /SR Router Power: Furutech GTX-DNCF / Oyaide inwall  wire

Nordost: 2-QB8 III, QV2's, QK1's, QSine, QWave, QX4, TC Kones, Sort Fut & LIft / Full OG Loom / 3-QSource & 12-QPoints, QNet, V2 Network

Misc.: iPad 6 /Custom Rack  Media Rm: ML: 13A's, 2-Descent i's, 6- Vanquish, Focus / 3-Parasound A23 / Legacy iV-3 Ultra / 77" LG 4k OLED / Anthem AVM90 / Pioneer Elite DVD Nordost: Odin/T2/H2, BC Kones, H2 Network, V2 HDMI

udis so have you come to a conclusion with the Bricasti?

Yes. and it's a keeper. It took it about 200 hrs to settle down and really open up. The difference was very subtle initially, but after a few weeks, doing A/B with Vega, it wasn't close. There's so much more weight and appropriate emphasis to instruments.

I have been experimenting with HQPlayer / upsampling, but I am left to believe that the Bricasti is at its best without meddling with sample rates and let its filters do their thing.

udis - best to leave with no upsampling. Did you test the SE version? Also just food for thought but once you hook the M1 up to the Bricasti M28's it will blow your mind!

2 Channel: Bricasti M20, 21 & M28 SE /Aurender N30SA and MC10 Master clock Treatments: Acoustical panels(F, S & R walls) Misc.: SR Master Fuses

Grounding: QKore 1&6 / Networking: SOtM switch, clock and Pwr Supply / AQ Diamond /SR Router Power: Furutech GTX-DNCF / Oyaide inwall  wire

Nordost: 2-QB8 III, QV2's, QK1's, QSine, QWave, QX4, TC Kones, Sort Fut & LIft / Full OG Loom / 3-QSource & 12-QPoints, QNet, V2 Network

Misc.: iPad 6 /Custom Rack  Media Rm: ML: 13A's, 2-Descent i's, 6- Vanquish, Focus / 3-Parasound A23 / Legacy iV-3 Ultra / 77" LG 4k OLED / Anthem AVM90 / Pioneer Elite DVD Nordost: Odin/T2/H2, BC Kones, H2 Network, V2 HDMI

udis - best to leave with no upsampling. Did you test the SE version? Also just food for thought but once you hook the M1 up to the Bricasti M28's it will blow your mind!

Yes, factory SE. I suspect the m28 are too laid back for my Raidho D1.1's, plus i am very happy with my Vitus RI-100. If anything, i'd consider Vitus sia 25... What kind of power cable are you using with M1?

I use all Nordost. Valhalla 1M XLR and 2M power.

I think the "Gold" Edition (I think it's referred to as the "Limited Edition") has the latest tweaks, adjustments and upgrades, too, and yes, large portions of the chassis are gold plated. At the demo in the Chicago, Brian played the M1SE and the M1LE back-to-back. And yes, the gold seems to matter. I have both the LE and the M1 (I don't think it's SE) here, and the M1LE is one of my current all-time favorites. It's also not under $10k.

To make matters more complicated, I actually prefer the M12 over either one, if only for DSD-based playback (the M1LE sounds better for the "everything else" playback). Again, the demo in Chicago was very convincing. Makes me think that using JRiver (or whatever) to auto-convert all my files to DSD might be worthwhile.

I'm told, but have yet to test, that the network interface is the best-sounding on that box, too. Good news is that the network input can and will be retrofitted into existing M1 boxes, and there will also be a stand-alone version coming from Bricasti Design.

Good times.

I think the "Gold" Edition (I think it's referred to as the "Limited Edition") has the latest tweaks, adjustments and upgrades, too, and yes, large portions of the chassis are gold plated. At the demo in the Chicago, Brian played the M1SE and the M1LE back-to-back. And yes, the gold seems to matter. I have both the LE and the M1 (I don't think it's SE) here, and the M1LE is one of my current all-time favorites. It's also not under $10k.

To make matters more complicated, I actually prefer the M12 over either one, if only for DSD-based playback (the M1LE sounds better for the "everything else" playback). Again, the demo in Chicago was very convincing. Makes me think that using JRiver (or whatever) to auto-convert all my files to DSD might be worthwhile.

I'm told, but have yet to test, that the network interface is the best-sounding on that box, too. Good news is that the network input can and will be retrofitted into existing M1 boxes, and there will also be a stand-alone version coming from Bricasti Design.

Good times.

Scot, JRiver pales in comparison to HQP as an upsampler.

BTW, I have a demo unit Atlantic here with the works, tube recti/Superclocks/separate optional chipless DSD512 engine...WOW, wow, WOW. Blows away the stock version! Best recti I found among my stash of more than 6 was the Haltron double Mica 5r4gy....cost was only $35 delivered!

I am yet to hear the Bricasti in person, but I have heard good things. I will look out for it in Warsaw next year!

I'm not familiar with LE? Also what are you hearing with the M12 vs the M1 with DSD?

I'm working on getting The Formula from Aqua Technologies in. That one is under $10k. Every time I've heard it, I've been very impressed.

Scot - I believe you may be mistaken about the price. Last I saw the Aqua Formula DAC was $13,800 US. Their newest version of the LaScala DAC uses some similar circuitry to the Formula and is priced well under $10K, I think it's around $7K.

Yes. and it's a keeper. It took it about 200 hrs to settle down and really open up. The difference was very subtle initially, but after a few weeks, doing A/B with Vega, it wasn't close. There's so much more weight and appropriate emphasis to instruments.

I have been experimenting with HQPlayer / upsampling, but I am left to believe that the Bricasti is at its best without meddling with sample rates and let its filters do their thing.

Sorry I know I'm a little off topic here. I been seeing the term "HQPlayer" lately on posts, could you please tell what it refers to?

Thanks

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos PhoenixNet Switch>Muon Pro ethernet cable>Muon Pro>Grimm Mu2>AudioQuest Dragon XLR>NAD M23> Falcon 2024 Limited Edition LS35a & REL T7Xi sub. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite SX powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner W/Ground Master City.

• 2 years later...

Every single little or big or in between change I make in my system is laid bare by my Bricasti.

The built in ethernet media server is a revelation. It has the media player built in and it is amazing. I run a quiet server that is operated by sonic orbiter software server to serve up ROON to my Bricasti and it is fantastic.

Sure there could be better out there but not for $10k. Latest EMM labs and DCS Stack is not happening at $10k. Buy older tech by those brands? Why I am not even sure the newest is even better. Maybe a little different but better? Maybe but I doubt it. It just offers a little different flavor is all. 

The most amazing part of the M1SE is Brian is always upgrading it.

If you bought one in 2014 and you have sent it in for the very reasonably priced updates then you have the same DAC that folks buy today. No one else is doing that. Ok Ayre does that and they make great gear but the Bricasti digital is better IMO.

I just can't ever see myself changing this incredibly musical, transparent and dynamic dac. It is a pure chameleon. It changes and improves with your system. As your cables and supporting bits improve it improves. I have been through so much gear and never had the urge to change other than maybe taking a stab at the M12 but once the media server was offered on the M1 there was no need. 

I will do something for you that no one else will. 

I will flat out guarantee you that you will be blown away. How it changes and how it improves. If you are anything like me and you are always doing little things to improve your system you will love it that much more.

It is the easiest and most no brainier purchase in the high end. I live for mine and i am sure you will too. If you really want to try one let me know and I will see if Brian can get one out to you. Please only do it if you think you really might want one but if your serious I can probably get one sent out to you. 

Ypsilon Phaethon Integrated Amplifier w/6H30DR NOS Tubes / SR Orange Fuses > Bricasti Design M1SE MDx DAC w/Network Card / Roon Endpoint > Focal Sopra 2 Loudspeakers >   Antipodes S40 (v5.2H Board / K30 Engine) Audio Server + Antipodes S60 HSL50 Hybrid Linear Power Supply (2-Rails) w/AfterDark Silver Reference Black River Series DC Cables Uptone Audio EtherRegen Network Switch / Re-clocker > AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10MHz Master Clock Sin wave 75ohm w/Mini Circuits BLP10.7+ BNC Filter > AfterDark Black River Carbon Fiber 75ohm BNC Master Clock Cable  > AfterDark Modernize LPS x2 12V (2-Rails) > Wyred 4 Sound PS-1 LPS (4) Rails  > Solid Tech ROS Reference Model 4 Audio Rack System  > SRA Ohio Class XLIsolation Platform Synergistic Research Tranquility Basik Isolation Platform Active w/MIG 2.0 Footers and Silver Tuning Bullet  > Solid Tech Small TT Isolation Platform (3-Shleves) Tara Labe: The One Power Cord 2.0M (5-Cables> Audience AU24se HP 1.0M AC Power Cable  > Nordost Frey 2 Speaker Cables 4.0M Spades > Nordost Frey 2 XLR Interconnects 1.0M > High Fidelity Cables Reveal XLR Interconnects 5.0MAudioquest Vodka and Cardas Clear Ethernet RJ/E Cables  > Synergistic Research Atmosphere Acoustic Field Generator Tower Mini w/ATM Red Tuning Module  > (15Synergistic Research HFT’s (6PS Audio Noise Harvesters;
 DESKTOP 2nd SystemDali Menuet Loudspeakers (Gloss Black) > Rega Brio Integrated Amplifier (2021)Denafrips Aries II R2R DAC > Singxer SU-2 USB Digital Interface > Antipodes S40/S60 Audio Server / Roon Core (Networked from Main system) >Apple iMac Retina 5k 27-Inch (2021) Roon Remote / USB AudioKanto S6 Desktop Speaker Stands > Cardas Neutral Reference Speaker Cables 1.0M  Spades > Darwin Ascension Plus Silver Interconnects RCA 0.3M > Tara Labs The One AC Power Cord (2) > Zu Event MKI AC Power Cable 1.0M > Cardas Clear USB Cable 1.0M > Curious Cables USB Regen LinkBlack Cat Silver Star BNC S/PDIF Cable 1.0M > Synergistic Research Tesla QLS-6 Power Strip 

~ Fsmithjack            
 My Website  https://ctronicmusic.com/ 

Ypsilon  Bricasti  / Focal  Uptone Nordost / AfterDark / Solid Tech  

46AC9095-7EB4-4698-82FE-FC5E9E837893.png

Those are real nice. Where will that DAC be in two years? Your Bricasti will be the current model and that DAC will have another new model released that is WAY better that you will want to buy and it will cost WAY more where Bricasti will charge you $500 bucks and you will have a current model. 

That said I’ve heard that DAC and it’s awesome. You will love it - the support to its owner base by Bricasti is such a peace of mind to its owners - not having to worry about a new model dropping your value by thousands overnight - this might not matter a lot to you now but will after you have stroked the $10k ripper it sure I will I promise you. 

Ypsilon Phaethon Integrated Amplifier w/6H30DR NOS Tubes / SR Orange Fuses > Bricasti Design M1SE MDx DAC w/Network Card / Roon Endpoint > Focal Sopra 2 Loudspeakers >   Antipodes S40 (v5.2H Board / K30 Engine) Audio Server + Antipodes S60 HSL50 Hybrid Linear Power Supply (2-Rails) w/AfterDark Silver Reference Black River Series DC Cables Uptone Audio EtherRegen Network Switch / Re-clocker > AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10MHz Master Clock Sin wave 75ohm w/Mini Circuits BLP10.7+ BNC Filter > AfterDark Black River Carbon Fiber 75ohm BNC Master Clock Cable  > AfterDark Modernize LPS x2 12V (2-Rails) > Wyred 4 Sound PS-1 LPS (4) Rails  > Solid Tech ROS Reference Model 4 Audio Rack System  > SRA Ohio Class XLIsolation Platform Synergistic Research Tranquility Basik Isolation Platform Active w/MIG 2.0 Footers and Silver Tuning Bullet  > Solid Tech Small TT Isolation Platform (3-Shleves) Tara Labe: The One Power Cord 2.0M (5-Cables> Audience AU24se HP 1.0M AC Power Cable  > Nordost Frey 2 Speaker Cables 4.0M Spades > Nordost Frey 2 XLR Interconnects 1.0M > High Fidelity Cables Reveal XLR Interconnects 5.0MAudioquest Vodka and Cardas Clear Ethernet RJ/E Cables  > Synergistic Research Atmosphere Acoustic Field Generator Tower Mini w/ATM Red Tuning Module  > (15Synergistic Research HFT’s (6PS Audio Noise Harvesters;
 DESKTOP 2nd SystemDali Menuet Loudspeakers (Gloss Black) > Rega Brio Integrated Amplifier (2021)Denafrips Aries II R2R DAC > Singxer SU-2 USB Digital Interface > Antipodes S40/S60 Audio Server / Roon Core (Networked from Main system) >Apple iMac Retina 5k 27-Inch (2021) Roon Remote / USB AudioKanto S6 Desktop Speaker Stands > Cardas Neutral Reference Speaker Cables 1.0M  Spades > Darwin Ascension Plus Silver Interconnects RCA 0.3M > Tara Labs The One AC Power Cord (2) > Zu Event MKI AC Power Cable 1.0M > Cardas Clear USB Cable 1.0M > Curious Cables USB Regen LinkBlack Cat Silver Star BNC S/PDIF Cable 1.0M > Synergistic Research Tesla QLS-6 Power Strip 

~ Fsmithjack            

5 hours ago, fsmithjack said:

Those are real nice. Where will that DAC be in two years? Your Bricasti will be the current model and that DAC will have another new model released that is WAY better that you will want to buy and it will cost WAY more where Bricasti will charge you $500 bucks and you will have a current model. 

That said I’ve heard that DAC and it’s awesome. You will love it - the support to its owner base by Bricasti is such a peace of mind to its owners - not having to worry about a new model dropping your value by thousands overnight - this might not matter a lot to you now but will after you have stroked the $10k ripper it sure I will I promise you. 

Do you or others have listened to the new Bricasti M21 DAC?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

matthias - great question. Thank you

I will be giving my feedback on this insane DAC soon.

He just can't build them quick enough because everyone wants one! I don't want to make it harder by getting into it too much just yet but trust me when I tell you this is a very different and refined digital instrument that has been honed over and over and sharpen'd to a razors edge and it just flat out slashes and rips through everything!  

Pure DSD through this DAC is so pristine and analogue it will make your eyes water.

It is insane.

I plan on sharing all the details on a dedicated thread soon.

Even listening at the lower levels it has this dynamic jump, this movement past where it is, its stops and starts are startling. It is so vibrant and so immensely transparent I just couldn't believe it.

I had goosebumps running up the back of my arms and neck and was like WTF.

It breathes and flows unlike any other digital product I have ever heard. Nothing about it is digital like.  

I don't want to take anything away from the M1 because there are some family similarities but make no mistake, the M21 is a naturally born predator with an unstoppable and insatiable appetite.

It just flat out rips and it is running rough shot a the top of the digital food chain with consequences throwing off the balance of the entire digital ecosystem.

Yes digital is moving forward my friends and making leaps and bounds in the Ethernet, clocks and analogue DSD domain that is going where no one has ever gone before and it is so great for us. Higher tides rises all boats and this thing is a full blown tsunami.  Yippie Ky ayyy...

It is a legit existential threat to anything digital. Stay tuned  :)   

~ Fsmithjack            

5 minutes ago, fsmithjack said:

He just can't build them quick enough because everyone wants one! I don't want to make it harder by getting into it too much just yet but trust me when I tell you this is a very different and refined digital instrument that has been honed over and over and sharpen'd to a razors edge and it just flat out slashes and rips through everything!  

Pure DSD through this DAC is so pristine and analogue it will make your eyes water.

It is insane.

Even listening at the lower levels it has this dynamic jump, this movement past where it is, its stops and starts are startling. It is so vibrant and so immensely transparent I just couldn't believe it.

It breathes and flows unlike any other digital product I have ever heard. Nothing about it is digital like.  

I don't want to take anything away from the M1 because there are some family similarities but make no mistake, the M21 is a naturally born predator with an unstoppable and insatiable appetite.

It just flat out rips and it is running rough shot a the top of the digital food chain with consequences throwing off the balance of the entire digital ecosystem.

Yes digital is moving forward my friends and making leaps and bounds in the Ethernet, clocks and analogue DSD domain that is going where no one has ever gone before and it is so great for us. Higher tides rises all boats and this thing is a full blown tsunami.  Yippie Ky ayyy...

Do you know the MRSP of the standard version (not Platinum)?

Thanks

Matt

47 minutes ago, fsmithjack said:

It is insane.

Doe

From the pictures, though, I don't like the looks. Too shiny. And I prefer black. No black mentioned on the web site, although I think I saw a dealer picture with one in black. You'd think that for such an expensive item they'd offer buyers some cosmetic options -or mention it on the web site if options exist.  People who spend those kind of bucks usually also have demands/needs for appearance. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

35 minutes ago, firedog said:

Doe

From the pictures, though, I don't like the looks. Too shiny. And I prefer black. No black mentioned on the web site, although I think I saw a dealer picture with one in black. You'd think that for such an expensive item they'd offer buyers some cosmetic options -or mention it on the web site if options exist.  People who spend those kind of bucks usually also have demands/needs for appearance. 

http://www.bricasti.com/en/consumer/m21.php

38 minutes ago, matthias said:

Okay sorry, I didn’t realize there were 2 models, Classic and Platinum. Any difference other than looks?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)