IGNORED

Bricasti M1 SE & other DACs under 10k worth auditioning

I will read the review BUT doesn't 6 moons now have a policy that they only review products that advertise with them?? If that is the case I really find that policy to mitigate any review that comes from that site.

Yes, I believe they do.

Parttimeaudiophile also reviewed the Atlantic about a month ago.

This is the plain vanilla Atlantic. The demo unit I had came tube rectified WITH additional Chipless dsd512 engine.

I slightly preferred chipless in my setup to R2R DSD, but at a pals house, the chipless was very far ahead. To the point where one fellow there said if he owned the Dac, he would ONLY listen to chipless DSD.

I am sure the Lampi are excellent. I haven't heard them so I can't give a personal opinion and surely have products in the price range of the OP.

I just have issues with conflicts of interest (not just in politics) but in all things hence my comment about 6 moons.

Perfectly clear and understandable. I work in Pharma so fully understood your anecdote.

If you can find a deal on them check out the EMM Labs DA2 DAC and the Nagra Classic. Different take from each but both excellent.

For a under your budget check out the new Playback Designs Merlot. He builds great sounding DAC's.

But if you could swing it the BEST would be a combo. The T+A DAC 8 DSD and the Sound Galleries SGM 2015 up-sampling all rates to DSD512 using HQPlayer.

Just saying.

The OP set a budget of $10K. SGM server is $20K by itself.

hello,

i am in the market for a new DAC. Currently running VEGA feeding vitus amp driving raidho monitors. Looking to improve my source.

Can anyone comment on the Bricasti M1 SE?

Any other DACs i should be auditioning (under $10k)?

Thanks,

Udi

If you don't need DSD, you may be able to snag this for a ROUND $10K: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f20-buy-and-sell-audio-and-computer-components/berkeley-reference-digital-analogue-converter-near-new-30203/

• 1 month later...
I think the "Gold" Edition (I think it's referred to as the "Limited Edition") has the latest tweaks, adjustments and upgrades, too, and yes, large portions of the chassis are gold plated. At the demo in the Chicago, Brian played the M1SE and the M1LE back-to-back. And yes, the gold seems to matter. I have both the LE and the M1 (I don't think it's SE) here, and the M1LE is one of my current all-time favorites. It's also not under $10k.

To make matters more complicated, I actually prefer the M12 over either one, if only for DSD-based playback (the M1LE sounds better for the "everything else" playback). Again, the demo in Chicago was very convincing. Makes me think that using JRiver (or whatever) to auto-convert all my files to DSD might be worthwhile.

I'm told, but have yet to test, that the network interface is the best-sounding on that box, too. Good news is that the network input can and will be retrofitted into existing M1 boxes, and there will also be a stand-alone version coming from Bricasti Design.

Good times.

Scot, JRiver pales in comparison to HQP as an upsampler.

BTW, I have a demo unit Atlantic here with the works, tube recti/Superclocks/separate optional chipless DSD512 engine...WOW, wow, WOW. Blows away the stock version! Best recti I found among my stash of more than 6 was the Haltron double Mica 5r4gy....cost was only $35 delivered!

I am yet to hear the Bricasti in person, but I have heard good things. I will look out for it in Warsaw next year!