IGNORED

Bricasti M1 SE & other DACs under 10k worth auditioning

I've considered DCS, but I was concerned I was buying old technology. How are they in terms of updates? Do they release updates to same dac or just create new models?

I would not be concerned about the latest FOTM options of a DAC. Some older DACs can still sound great. Only drawback is they often do not support hires.

For DACs under 10 K I would consider the Schiit Yggy and the Meitner ma-1 or a Lampizator PCM only DAC.

Or even sell your amp and buy a Aavik U300, a great amp with a very good DAC.

[br]

funny you say that. i almost purchased that amp because it pairs so well with my speakers. but at the end of the day, it was too expensive. i am still not sure i like the combo idea.

Do you have any experience with EMM Labs DA2 DAC? I might be able to get a good deal on it...

I do not have anywhere near the budget you have. However my dealer does sell Meitner, EMM labs, Aavid, Ansuz, Rhaido etc If I remember correctly he also became a Vitus dealer.

I have heard the Meitner and EMM labs DACs at his shop on a few occasions. The EMM labs transport and DAC vs the full dCS Vivaldi stack. I personaly preferred the EMM labs. However at this stage it is a matter of taste. The Vivaldi sounded more digital. With the EMM labs there was just music. I stopped trying to analyse what I was hearing and just listened. It was harder for me to lose myself in the music with the Vivaldi.

While Meitner or EMM labs might not be FOTM I do think they are excellent DACs. They let you hear lost of details without losing musicality. That is why I like them.

The Raidho XT3 is among the very best of speakers I have ever heard.

[br]