IGNORED

Bricasti M1 SE & other DACs under 10k worth auditioning

My only caution with your advice and NOT a criticism, since we are all in the same boat, is the best audition (if possible) is in your system. These days, many DACS, since they are not huge speakers, for a small fee (usually reimbursable) can be tried in the home. At shows, there are so many variables it is hard to discern what is really going on. Shows are great to see all the new gadgets, etc but to judge the sound or the actual component of interest is kind of a crap shoot. Fantastic stuff can sound awful. There is a speaker manufacturer I know of who truly makes a world class speaker but just can't get it sounding right at any show as it is a pretty complex setup, usually shares a room with other manufacturers that may or may not work with his speaker and invariably reviewers give "his room" a mediocre review YET when they review it under the right circumstances go bananas over it as do potential customers who hear them in his showroom.

The point being without belaboring the point, you are talking about spending some decent bucks on a "component" that is easy to ship, so demo those you narrow it down to.

That's all true. You need to listen to a dac like this in your own system. At this level, its just too easy to make a mistake. Its not worth the risk. I didn't leave my personal thoughts on the dac's I listed just for that reason. It really doesn't matter what I think unless the dac is for me.