IGNORED

Bricasti M1 SE & other DACs under 10k worth auditioning

hello,

i am in the market for a new DAC. Currently running VEGA feeding vitus amp driving raidho monitors. Looking to improve my source.

Can anyone comment on the Bricasti M1 SE?

Any other DACs i should be auditioning (under $10k)?

Thanks,

Udi

That Bricasti M1 is a very impressive DAC. However, $10k is a very healthy budget. For this kind of money, you could consider the King of the DAC's - a secondhand DCS. Do a search for DCS on hifishark.com

I've considered DCS, but I was concerned I was buying old technology. How are they in terms of updates? Do they release updates to same dac or just create new models?

Two I would highly recommend

1. T&A DAC DSD upsampled to DSD 512

2. The MSB Analog DAC with Quad USB or renderer ( I think you have a choice of one over the other)

I have the MSB Diamond V with quad usb and absolutely love it.

The T&A I have for my headphone system and I love it.

However the MSB sound IMO is just amazing. I had an Analog on loan before buying the Diamond and was very impressed with it.

Incidentally I had a Vega and sold it pretty quick. Just wasn't my cup of tea.

Well, it appears that the msb diamond is out of my range ?

I'll need to take a look and analog.

Thoughts on bricasti?

At the price range you are looking at it really deserves a listen.

I appreciate the input... I'll definitely give it a listen. I just did a quick search for reviews and apparently 6moons thought it was outclassed by the total DAC d1-six DAC. That also appears to be Michael's (from audiostream) new reference.

I went to 2015 Axpona to investigate and purchase a DAC and music server. At the time I listened to all of them that were there and at the end it came down to the Bricasti M1 and Lampizator Golden Gate. To me sonically they were very close although the Lampizator was like 8K more expensive however the final decision came down to the company and personalities. I just saw Bricasti as a more solid choice and being US made was an added bonus.

I was also impressed with how they keep updating their unit not just with software but as in the case of the SE update several internal components. The SE version is quite a step up from what I originally heard and I'm positive that more will be coming. I'm very pleased sonically. Since I saved some money on the DAC 1 could now afford at the time the new N10 Aurender. Also as you can see I kind of personalized it with all black and polished buttons and feet. Concerning the feet they have very cleverly incorporated Stillpoints within each foot. This should not be over looked for those that use some type of isolation I don't know of any other DAC that comes that way. Depending on what you get that could easily add 1K to the cost of most any other DAC.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30189[/ATTACH]

I've been having a hard time locating a dealer that would allow me to audition it at home. That would be ideal!

Or even sell your amp and buy a Aavik U300, a great amp with a very good DAC.

funny you say that. i almost purchased that amp because it pairs so well with my speakers. but at the end of the day, it was too expensive. i am still not sure i like the combo idea.

Do you have any experience with EMM Labs DA2 DAC? I might be able to get a good deal on it...

The T+A DAC8 DSD has an analog volume control of discreet resistors which might be preferable to digital attenuators in other converters if you plan on driving the amp direct.

You could also try importing the Chord DAVE from the UK as it has a universal voltage PSU, the price (including duty and shipping) will be under $10k this way.

I do plan on feeding my Vitus RI100 amp, which has a decent preamp linestage. I know it's silly to think this way, but the looks of the Chord gear is not my cup of tea :)

A quick update. I am currently auditioning the Bricasti m1 SE at home. I have about 20hrs so far and... I was expecting (and was told) that i would hear the difference between the Vega and Bricasti right away. So far, to my ears, they sound very similar. Perhaps I need to put more hours on it before i arrive at any conclusions. However, I've been thinking is it possible that the synergy of Aries and Vega allowed the Vega to keep pace with Bricasti thus far (to my ears)? And if so, an equally interesting question would be... is it possible that the Bricasti is simply emphasizing the Aries' shortcoming and therefore the overall composition is marginally better?

Another comment I would make beyond a longer break-in period is what connection are you using. I preferred the XLR over the USB. If your setup can handle that I would also give that a try.

Thanks. Ive considered XLR, however, my DSD collection wouldn't get any playtime.

Ive added another 20hrs to the DAC. Starting to show signs of pulling away on all accounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Are you saying the Bricasti is "new"? Or just that it is "new" in your system?

IMHO and IME it will take way more then just 20 hours for the Bricasti to come into its own if it is brand new or has just a few hours on it.

Some will take around 50 hours but many others can take 100, 200 and even 300 hours to reach their best.

I am not saying that you must give it the full amount of hours. But I would give it at least 100 hours.

If it is a demo from a dealer and has MANY hours on it it most likely would need around 30-50+/- hours just to settle in your system. So then you might have been just short of what you would need.

Of course once you get to that many hours it does not mean you will like it any better. As many say YMMV and we all have different tastes.

Brand new! I suspect you are correct. Its starting to open up

Don't undersell you ability to believe what you are hearing.......I'd say it is possible (probable) there just isn't a big difference in the sonics of the Auralic vs. Bricasti. Both fine products that are universally praised. When I auditioned the M1, it was after using a Parasound Zdac......that is $500 retail vs $10,000 retail. The Bricasti sounded wonderful and was very refined, but the differences against the Parasound were small and subtle. I'd say if you still like the Auralic.....keep it.......save your coins and be happy. Not many people want to admit that they don't hear the "right away" differences which some self proclaimed audio savants go on about, but IMO a rational person has to realize it gets down to splitting hairs.

Perhaps you are right. I will say, the more I've been letting it run, the more it's becoming apparent how different they are.

• 1 month later...
udis so have you come to a conclusion with the Bricasti?

Yes. and it's a keeper. It took it about 200 hrs to settle down and really open up. The difference was very subtle initially, but after a few weeks, doing A/B with Vega, it wasn't close. There's so much more weight and appropriate emphasis to instruments.

I have been experimenting with HQPlayer / upsampling, but I am left to believe that the Bricasti is at its best without meddling with sample rates and let its filters do their thing.

udis - best to leave with no upsampling. Did you test the SE version? Also just food for thought but once you hook the M1 up to the Bricasti M28's it will blow your mind!

Yes, factory SE. I suspect the m28 are too laid back for my Raidho D1.1's, plus i am very happy with my Vitus RI-100. If anything, i'd consider Vitus sia 25... What kind of power cable are you using with M1?