IGNORED

New Leonard Cohen Album - You Want It Darker

Hi Guys - Just a quick note from the road (we finished the Roon Audio Workshop last night in Los Angeles). I've been listening to the new Leonard Cohen album called You Want It Darker. I absolutely love it. The title is apropos. It's very dark. Typical Leonard. In addition, I love the way it sounds.

Here is a link to the DR numbers. Great dynamic range.

Album details - Dynamic Range Database

[video=youtube_share;YD6fvzGIBfQ]

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Agree. Fantastic album. I happen to like the "dark" nature of the album. One of the "coolest" albums I have heard in a long time.

Have listened to it on my headphone system and main system several times trying to evaluate different setups and I like it more and more each time.

The DR numbers are very good, but that range isn't supplied by his voice! ;) (I like the album too.)

If you can find Terry Gross's 2006 Fresh Air interview with him, it's well worth listening to.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Me too, the HiRes is much better than CD version.

You have both?

In what way(s) do you prefer the download?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

IMO his best studio album since 'Ten New Songs' (live ones - 'Live in London' and 'Songs from the Road' were awesome too). It's interesting - on "Ten New Songs' his lyrics often touched on his buddhist experiences, here he goes back to theistic tradition. Anyway I think deep spiritual subjects serve old Jikan (Silent One - Cohen's buddhist name) well..

Today my 15 yo cat has passed away. I used to laugh that she was really an audiophile cat. Her favorite spot was in front of behind the subwoofer. Recently I had to stop using my main system for a number of days. After I turned it on for the first time after the break yesterday she immediatly lied down in front of it! She was very weak today in the morning. I usally don't listen to the music that early but this time I decided she deserves some nice sounds. I programmed three tracks from 'You Want It Darker'. While the third one ('Travelling Light' :)) was playing she passed away :(

Seems that I will have not only musical reasons to remember this album..

Today my 15 yo cat has passed away. I used to laugh that she was really an audiophile cat. Her favorite spot was in front of behind the subwoofer. Recently I had to stop using my main system for a number of days. After I turned it on for the first time after the break yesterday she immediatly lied down in front of it! She was very weak today in the morning. I usally don't listen to the music that early but this time I decided she deserves some nice sounds. I programmed three tracks from 'You Want It Darker'. While the third one ('Travelling Light' :)) was playing she passed away :(

Seems that I will have not only musical reasons to remember this album..

Oh wow, heavy news. So sad to read about the passing of your cat. At least her final moments were special.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Thanks, guys. I've been expecting this for months. I'm glad it happened so smoothly. Cohen's baritone singing 'Im travelling light, it's au revoir' added some magic to this moment. I think she had a good life. Not once got sick. Fell down from the 5th floor balcony 4 times without any complications. And last but not least she's heard lots of good music in her lifetime! :)

From The Rolling Stone:

"When the Grand Tour ended in December 2013, Cohen largely vanished from the public eye. In October 2016, he released You Want It Darker, produced by his son Adam. Severe back issues made it difficult for Cohen to leave his home, so Adam placed a microphone on his dining room table and recorded him on a laptop. The album was met with rave reviews, though a New Yorker article timed to its release revealed that he was in very poor health. "I am ready to die," he said. "I hope it's not too uncomfortable. That's about it for me."

The singer-songwriter later clarified that he was "exaggerating." "I’ve always been into self-dramatization," Cohen said last month. "I intend to live forever.”

Leonard Cohen Dead at 82 - Rolling Stone

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
David Remnick from The New Yorker shares his last interview with Leonard Cohen on September 2016.

Thanks for the interview. I really enjoyed it. I've been a fan for about 20 years, yet heard little of him speak. A person with great character, indeed.

Some good insights - that many here will have known. The genius didn't write gold in the first draft, but polished every word. Writing at least 20 verses for each song before whittling them down to the best.

I wonder if his old recordings will be remixed with entirely new arrangements... that could be fun...

Glad his songs will live on through other artists for some time to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos