IGNORED

Bought a new reciever.

Can the dragonfly connect to a receiver? And how would I be able to do it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Hi Abraxas,

If you just want to just play music from your lap top then the suggestion of using a Dragonfly is a good one IMO.

The Dragon fly is a DAC (digital to analogue converter), which converts the digital (0s and 1s) out of the computer into an electric pulse that the receiver can then amplify to drive the speakers. There are many hundreds of DACs available ranging in price from $50 up to $20k.

The Dragonfly is manufactured by Audioquest and I would encourage you to check out their web site and in particular the LH side menu where you will see links to Computer Audio Theory and how it works and how to properly set it up.

AudioQuest

I would encourage you to purchase the Dragonfly 'Red" as it can also be used with your phone giving you great flexibility. It is not expensive and sounds terrific. It can be used for both headphones and HiFi. Go to the home page and search on Dragonfly and you will find an article written by our founder Chris a month or so ago, he was very complimentary.

You connect it by inserting it into the USB port and then connect it to the receiver using a 3.5mm to 2 x Male RCA cable - here's link so you know what to look for.

USD$33.00 - Hifi 3.5mm Pailiccs Male To 2 RCA Male Cable Y Splitter Adapter - lunashops online shop

You connect the 3.5mm end into the Dragonfly and the two RCSs into the any one of several female RCA input connections on the back of the receiver, and then select which one using the input selector on the remote.

You will need software on your lap top to play music and I suggest you start with iTunes and when you are more able experiment with Audirvana, JRiver or HQ player for better sound quality. Which software you use will depend on whether you are in a MAC or Windows environment.

You will also need to "tell" you computer to select the Dragonfly for sound output ... on a MAC go to System Preferences and select "sound" ..... I suggest you read this before asking further questions.

http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com

All the best and good luck,

Ajax

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

Its okay hifi salesman. No reason for anyone to answer the OP's query with a very simple solution. Everything has to be complexed up.

The one thing I just don't understand about you, is that you can be looking directly at something provable and not see it. Here's an example.

"Instead of going with a usb/spdif converter, it would probably make more sense to get a Dragonfly.

You plug it in to a USB port and you run a cable from the output on the Dragonfly to one of the inputs on your receiver. Its a very easy product to setup and use."

This clearly addresses your concern, but you won't acknowledge it. The question I have is, can you see my post above and just won't acknowledge it, or maybe you can't see it at all? I'm not kidding. There's just no explaining your recent posts. When was the last time you took a vacation? From the looks of it, you need one.

Hi Abraxas,

The ONKYO 8140 has its own DAC but not a USB input. This means you have to either:

1) Buy an external DAC such as the Dragonfly mentioned previously (with regard to Chris's article that I mentioned here is the link - certainly worth a read

Computer Audiophile - AudioQuest DragonFly Red & DragonFly Black Review)

It costs US$198 and you can buy it here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AudioQuest-DragonFly-Red-v1-0-USB-Digital-to-Analog-Converter-/351720125320"

OR

2) If the Onkyo's DAC is of good quality (I don't know but check reviews) and alternative is to utilise it by connecting the laptop digitally by:

a) Connecting an optical cable from the MAC laptop's headphone output, which doubles as a digital optical out (you will need to buy a mini optical connector) to the Onkyo's optical input or

b) Purchase a USB to SPIDF converter and connect to the coaxial input of the Onkyo or

c) Purchase a thunderbolt (or USB) to ethernet connector and connect via Cat6e to the ethernet input of the Onkyo (I have not done this and not sure if it works but don't know why it would not)

Good luck,

Ajax

The op does not actually need to connect the laptop to the receiver to play music. The receiver is dlna capable so can play music from a pc or Nas. See page 25 in the manual.

Would avoid need to buy a dac or usb/spdif converter.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
The op does not actually need to connect the laptop to the receiver to play music. The receiver is dlna capable so can play music from a pc or Nas. See page 25 in the manual.

I'll second that. In addition, there is native support for a number of music streaming services listed below, making the argument for streaming DLNA from your computer along with a couple of those services all you'd need. The main thing is making sure you have fairly fast internet speed and a solid wireless network and you are on your way.

If your wireless router is good enough you can probably get away with no physical connection to your computer needed.

IMG_0047.PNG

David

You are assuming all he wants to play is ripped files. You need a card/converter like the Asus Xonar U7 I posted to stream tidal, netflix, youtube, etc.

OP, the card I posted will also dramatically improve SQ rather than just doing a straight conversion.

You are assuming all he wants to play is ripped files. You need a card/converter like the Asus Xonar U7 I posted to stream tidal, netflix, youtube, etc.

OP, the card I posted will also dramatically improve SQ rather than just doing a straight conversion.

For tidal, it would require installing other software but doable.

Seems like the easiest way then is an hdmi cable -- can send audio and video and is super easy.

Assuming the laptop has hdmi . . .

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
Can anyone help me and let me know what kind of cable would I need to connect my laptop to me receiver it has an ethernet port. Receiver model is Onkyo 8140 someone has to know I'm new at the audiophile game thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Computer Audiophile mobile app

If your laptop has an HDMI port, connect that to your AVR. If not, purchase a Sony UHP-H1 BDP and a disk drive and enclosure. Then:

• Connect enclosure to UHP-H1 via USB cable
  • Connect UHP-H1 to AVR via HDMI cable.

If your laptop has an HDMI port, connect that to your AVR. If not, purchase a Sony UHP-H1 BDP and a disk drive and enclosure. Then:

• Connect enclosure to UHP-H1 via USB cable
  • Connect UHP-H1 to AVR via HDMI cable.

Hi Guys,

This is a 2 channel receiver, not an A/V and does not have an HDMI, however, it does have wifi and is DLNA capable but no airplay.

onkyo_tx-8150_06.jpg

You guys might want to look at the fact it has a USB port on the front.

Next maybe I missed it, but did the OP ever give details on which laptop he has? If he has a Mac with optical out that is the best method.

Yes I think ,$200 to connect a $350 receiver is not a good allocation of money.

And yes you also could use DNLA to connect over wifi. Or use a headphone extension cable to go into one pair of RCA inputs.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Computer Audiophile mobile app

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

The one thing I just don't understand about you, is that you can be looking directly at something provable and not see it. Here's an example.

"Instead of going with a usb/spdif converter, it would probably make more sense to get a Dragonfly.

You plug it in to a USB port and you run a cable from the output on the Dragonfly to one of the inputs on your receiver. Its a very easy product to setup and use."

This clearly addresses your concern, but you won't acknowledge it. The question I have is, can you see my post above and just won't acknowledge it, or maybe you can't see it at all? I'm not kidding. There's just no explaining your recent posts. When was the last time you took a vacation? From the looks of it, you need one.

In my opinion, asking someone to purchase a $200 DAC for connecting to his $350 receiver is not a good way to go as his receiver already has a DAC. It will work yes. Purchasing a Xonar as witchdoctor suggested is basically your suggestion only at half the money making it a better suggestion. Putting music on a huge $59 hard drive and then not even needing the computer is cheaper still. Using DLNA is possibly no cost.

So I consider my suggestion better than yours as it is equally effective and less expensive. As is the Xonar. DLNA is better still. I also never said your suggestion wouldn't work, but you thought it necessary to butt in and disparage my suggestion which is one fourth the cost of implementing yours. Plus disparaging my entire way of thinking about such things. Now suggesting I am too uptight and need a vacation. Should we suggest such things for you. Of course suggesting the most expensive method is in line with being a hifi salesman.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Or he can just buy the $99 version because that's all he needs. The only reason he would need the red version is if he's going to use it with power hungry headphones. If, by some chance, he needs more power for headphones, he can always use the jack on the front of his receiver.

Up to this point, no one brought up the fact that the OP can also use the Dragonfly with other products. Its compatible with almost all late model ios and android smart phones & tablets. None of the other products mentioned get their power from the host device. they all need to be plugged in.

Lets not forget about sound quality. The DF should easily sound better than the dac in his amp. And before you start arguing with me on this point, have you ever seen anyone complain that a dac in the receiver is better sounding than a DF? I haven't.

"Of course suggesting the most expensive method is in line with being a hifi salesman."

How many times have you not seen me say, "The more you know, the less you have to spend?" Either way, any good salesman needs to have product knowledge and experience. You have neither.

Got another suggestion. Why not install both Roon and Tidal on your computer and be able to stream both Tidal and all your stored music through one very nice interface controllable from an iPhone or iPad (not sure about Android, someone else can chime in on that) and have easy access to everything right through your receiver

David

snip..snip...

Lets not forget about sound quality. The DF should easily sound better than the dac in his amp. And before you start arguing with me on this point, have you ever seen anyone complain that a dac in the receiver is better sounding than a DF? I haven't.

snip...

Either way, any good salesman needs to have product knowledge and experience. You have neither. [/color]

It appears you believe if you repeat these ideas enough it will make them true.

It appears you believe if you repeat these ideas enough it will make them true.

Then you shouldn't have a problem finding people to agree with you. Also, I noticed you left the majority of my post untouched. All that means is that you're going into the same old routine. Pick through my post looking for the slightest detail so that you can fabricate a point over it. This is starting to get old. You try to argue with me on almost a daily basis. Unlike you, I haven't complained to the site. I always figure you'll just let the issue go, and we can move on. I'm not going to be nice about it anymore. From this point on, I suggest we agree to be on good terms and leave each other alone. If not, prepare to be thoroughly embarrassed. You don't know a tenth of what you think you know about audio. I'm going to do exactly what you do to me and everyone else. Look at every post you make, and interrupt it with a bunch of ridiculous comments just for the sake of doing so.

Unfortunately the front panel USB port only supports file playback from USB storage.

You guys might want to look at the fact it has a USB port on the front.

Next maybe I missed it, but did the OP ever give details on which laptop he has? If he has a Mac with optical out that is the best method.

Yes I think ,$200 to connect a $350 receiver is not a good allocation of money.

And yes you also could use DNLA to connect over wifi. Or use a headphone extension cable to go into one pair of RCA inputs.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Apparently neither Roon nor Tidal are supported by this particular receiver.

Got another suggestion. Why not install both Roon and Tidal on your computer and be able to stream both Tidal and all your stored music through one very nice interface controllable from an iPhone or iPad (not sure about Android, someone else can chime in on that) and have easy access to everything right through your receiver
Unfortunately the front panel USB port only supports file playback from USB storage.

Which is why I mentioned USB memory stick or hard drive. Depends upon the OP's desires. If it is music only, load all music on hard drive and go. If streaming video and audo then it won't work.

Then you shouldn't have a problem finding people to agree with you. Also, I noticed you left the majority of my post untouched. All that means is that you're going into the same old routine. Pick through my post looking for the slightest detail so that you can fabricate a point over it. This is starting to get old. You try to argue with me on almost a daily basis. Unlike you, I haven't complained to the site. I always figure you'll just let the issue go, and we can move on. I'm not going to be nice about it anymore. From this point on, I suggest we agree to be on good terms and leave each other alone. If not, prepare to be thoroughly embarrassed. You don't know a tenth of what you think you know about audio. I'm going to do exactly what you do to me and everyone else. Look at every post you make, and interrupt it with a bunch of ridiculous comments just for the sake of doing so.

I don't care much about people who agree with me so much as facts which agree with me. You haven't been nice or knowledgeable so far so what would be different. Interruptions and BS would be stock in trade for a salesman.

Apparently neither Roon nor Tidal are supported by this particular receiver.

Not so sure about that. When Roon is running on a computer it will distribute to devices on the network. What I'm not sure of is whether his receiver, which is not AirPlay enabled but is still on network, can receive the signal from Roon. If it receives Roon then it would play Tidal.

It's possible he just needed to have the next model up which is a $100 premium. If that's the case I'd recommend biting the bullet now and returning the 8140 and swapping it for the 8160 which has AirPlay.

You are probably referring to the Tidal integration that is now built into their multi channel receivers which is nice but not necessary to get Tidal to their receivers.

PS. I've got a TX-RZ610 in my shop right now that I'm testing. It has that built in Tidal integration you're probably referring to. It's ok but not as good as streaming Tidal through Roon from a computer to it. The Roon interface is leagues better.

David

I don't care much about people who agree with me so much as facts which agree with me. You haven't been nice or knowledgeable so far so what would be different. Interruptions and BS would be stock in trade for a salesman.

Can you please put that guy on your ignore list, it seems you two are bickering every time you get in a thread.

Abraxas, the dragonfly will bypass the dacs in your receiver. You already have a dac and you don't "need" another one.

The other thing is when you are watching netflix or movies a dragonfly will not pass a dolby digital signal. The sound card I posted is much cheaper and will.

You're right about the DF bypassing the receivers dac. As for not needing a dac, the dac on his receiver doesn't have usb input so he will have to buy a converter. That's why I say just get the DF. It will cost a little more than a converter, but its going to sound better than the existing dac. And its portable. I use mine on both my Samsung tablet and smart phone.

As for the theater option, I don't see it doing the OP any good. He has a 2 channel receiver, so he can only listen in stereo anyway. And even if he did have a multi channel receiver, he would just use the processor in that. The external sound card is really meant for someone who has powered speakers like a Logitech system, or even pro monitors.