IGNORED

Bought a new reciever.

Can anyone help me and let me know what kind of cable would I need to connect my laptop to me receiver it has an ethernet port. Receiver model is Onkyo 8140 someone has to know I'm new at the audiophile game thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Congratulations on your new receiver, looks great. The ethernet port is to stream via the internet and your local network. To connect your PC you need an adapter to convert USB to SPDiF. I use an Asus Xonar U7 soundcard, less than $100 on Amazon and it is FANTASTIC! You plug your USB cable into the soundcard and there is a port to plug in a digital coax cable which you can plug into your receiver.

https://www.asus.com/Sound-Cards/Xonar_U7/

Depends on what ports your laptop has on it. Does it have a coax or optical SPDIF jack? If it is a Mac, then the headphone jack typically doubles as an optical SPDIF port.

If not, then you can connect the receiver to your home network router using an Ethernet cable or connect via WiFi and you can stream music via DLNA. You can also put music files on a USB stick and plug it into the front Ethernet port.

If your laptop supports Bluetooth, then pair the receiver with it and that is probably the quickest way to get started streaming.

That receiver has everything except a USB port for digital streaming to the DAC section, which surprises me. With all the options on that unit, fortunately the user manual for that unit is pretty thorough.

Thanks friend but I'm looking for connection from my laptop to my Onkyo receiver.

If you are going to connect by cable your laptop has a USB out but your receiver lacks a USB in. That soundcard will allow you to connect your laptop to your receiver. Read page 10 and 11 in the manual:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Audio_Card/Xonar_U7/E11108_XonarU7_V2_WEB_only.pdf

Hello does the Xonur X7 come with all I need or do I have to purchase any other cables ,seriously I'm new at this but I get the logic.

Good question. You would need to get a coax digital cable, it comes with a USB cable:

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Xonar-U7-Sound-Card/dp/B00E7QA9E0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477195569&sr=8-1&keywords=xonar+u7

and this type of coax cable:

https://www.amazon.com/Coaxial-Digital-Audio-Cable-Black/dp/B00287BNKE/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1477195686&sr=8-15&keywords=digital+coax+cable

Also how would I connect everything, appreciate the help WD.

Did you look at those pages in the manual? You plug the USB cable into the card from your laptop. Then plug the coax cable from the card to the receiver.

You will really like this card. Your receiver has a DAC capable of 192/24 HD audio. The card has software that lets you select the bitrate output for PCM and you should select the highest rate. It also outputs in Dolby Digital so you can stream youtube or any video source in dolby digital if you like.

Watch this video review, When he demos the software you will be using the SPDIF out feature NOT the speaker out:

The Dragonfly is a DAC designed for headphones primarily.

Not true. I know more people that use it as a regular dac than headphone amp.

"DragonFly plugs into a computer’s USB port to bypass the computer’s compromised audio circuitry and deliver cleaner, clearer, more naturally beautiful sound to headphones, powered speakers, and complete audio systems."

Thats right from AQ's website.

Okay this is for anyone who knows.... How would I ground a receiver and why do I have to , some people are saying I don't have to is this true?

You don't ground your receiver. If you see a grounding post on the back of it, its only used for phono carts.

Cable for the DF is a mini headphone jack at one end and left and right rca connectors at the other. Its a very common cable.

It looks simpler to use the USB port on the front of the receiver and connect to a USB memory stick or hard drive. Don't even need a computer then. Don't need a Dragonfly.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

It looks simpler to use the USB port on the front of the receiver and connect to a USB memory stick or hard drive. Don't even need a computer then. Don't need a Dragonfly.

I bet you were one of those people who stuffed 20 kids in the trunk of your car when you went to the drive in. And when you had a blow out on the way home because of all that extra weight, you made yourself some new shoes out of the old tire casing.

I bet you were one of those people who stuffed 20 kids in the trunk of your car when you went to the drive in. And when you had a blow out on the way home because of all that extra weight, you made yourself some new shoes out of the old tire casing.

Its okay hifi salesman. No reason for anyone to answer the OP's query with a very simple solution. Everything has to be complexed up.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.