IGNORED

My (very) mini review of the Singxer SU-1 DDC

That’s my experiment:

Similar to what Hurka did, I have bypassed the internal power supply. In this case I’m using clean power from my Bel Canto VBS1 (virtual battery system) that is powering also my 3.5 DAC. The second output of the VBS1 is going to a power regulator to lower the voltage from 12V to 5V then go to my SU-1. First quick test is really promising. The sound is definitively fuller, with more body.

Image-2.png.jpg

Image-1.png.jpg

Image.png.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Arrived two days ago, the 4.5V Booster Ultra is installed between internal power supply and Singer main board. Less edgy, more clean and organic sound. This is a very simple one box solution for who don’t want to go for a two box and in my opinion a must for any SU-1 owner.

DSCF6019.JPG

DSCF6024.JPG

Merry Christmas

Giuseppe

Yes, that's what I did.

but the Sbooster is a special version (4.5V) made specifically for the Singxer.

I have installed the board between the internal power supply and the singxer SU1 main board.

In the picture you can see the original cable cut. One pair of cable from the power supply to the Ultra 4.5V then output from ultra to the main board.

DSCF6021.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Too bad, I was impatient and I have already ordered them. If I'm not wrong they are top of the line Nichicon. Any hint on how to mount them? Even if I can’t insert the pin in the hole, the contact with the board should be ok, maybe a bit more effort for soldering. What do you think?

Regards,

Giuseppe

• 3 months later...

I'm going to replace the stock voltage regulator with the Belleson Superpower SPZ17. I have already replaced all the capacitors and power supply is external using Bel Canto VBS1 and SBooster ulltra 5V as filter. 

Look forward to see the difference with the new VR.

I can not believe in my ears. The difference is so obvious, no doubt at all.
The Belleson Voltage regulator is an impressive dynamic ignition to the system. Bass extension and artculation is also incredibly improved.
This is the most effective - single electronic component mod - I ever heard. 

Ciao,

Giuseppe

mod_belleson.jpg

Ciao Energy,

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not a technician so I can't comment. The improvement from the stock capacitors are evidente (wa no name capacitors, not Panasonic in my very ealry model) and I like the analog and relaxed effect that now my SU1 have. 

• 4 weeks later...

Dears, I need your advice. 

I have modded my SU-1 with:

1. Belleson regulator: Impressive!
  2. External power supply with SBooster Ultra filtering: Great!
  3. Replaced all capacitors in the main board (no need to change capacitors on the power supply as it has been fully removed) with muse NICHICON electrolytic 470uF 25V THT.

So a couples of days ago I did a comparision test between my singxer and a DAC with amanero USB input. The SMS200 was used in both scenario.

What emerged from this interesting test is that singxer sounds more relaxed and less digital but with a slight bloated, more in advance and less controlled bass.

In the past some of you had criticized the choice of using these capacitors that were most suitable in analog circuits.

There are 5 caps in the SU1 main board, two caps are closed to the regulator.
Which is the best capacitors to use and (if exeist) which is the best combination that may keep some of my Nichicons to create the right balance of analog midrange but with more precise bass?

Perhaps, replacing capacitors progressively I could achieve the right balance.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Giuseppe