IGNORED

My (very) mini review of the Singxer SU-1 DDC

How many hours did you put on the SU-1?

I posted a review of it here: XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED! - Page 231

And then added this in a later post as the sound changed dramatically:

"An addendum to my short review of the Singxer SU-1 in post #3453. I had around 100-110 hours on it at the time and thought it was fully broken in as the recessed mid-range moved forward in line with the bass and treble then. The SU-1 is, as I noted, very revealing (much more so than the AR-T Legato it replaced) and I thought the coolness I heard was part of it's character (as the Legato/my system are slightly to the warm side).

So I was surprised when I turned it on at around 130 hours and heard a very harmonically rich, but accurate, presentation. Very pleasantly surprised."

I'm looking to replace my hiFace EVO. This seems to be a good upgrade :)

My Theta Gen VIII dac does not have USB, so I need an USB/SPDIF converter.

I have the MicroRendu with the LPS-1. So I could VBus the F-1 version. (Which seems to be offered in an upgraded version according to some adds on eBay.)

The SU-1 seems to use the same F-1 board, right ?

In addition I can use my EVO clock on the SU-1. And of cause the AES/EBU interface.

Should I expect a better sonic performance with the SU-1 over the F-1 ?

A'm thinking that the power in the SU-1 may be a source for introducing more noise, am I wrong ?

Would I actually benefit to use the EVO clock ?

Does anyone know of this unit has the same HW ?

FUN01 XU208 XMOS USB Audio Digital Interface XLR/AES/fiber/coaxial + LPS | eBay

If yes, then this would really be good option withe the UpTone Audio LPS-1 :)

• 3 months later...

Current-wise the LPS-1 would likely handle them both just fine. But the SU-1 takes 5V, and while I have gotten my microRendu to run on 5V, John explained some technical reasons (aside from 5VBUS reg not having enough drop) why 6V or greater is really best for the mR.

Tim is probably going to be sending me an SU-1, and we'll check out its main board regulator range to see if it would mind the LPS-1 set at 7V. If that's the case then I'll test running the SU-1 and my microRendu off one UltraCap LPS-1.

Looking at the SU-1 case--though not yet having one here to measure space where the PS sits--it is obvious that a mod-kit for a different PS could either be for an internal or external location. Really the kit just needs to be a metal plate to cover the removed IEC inlet module (with screw holes to match), plus a DC jack mounted in the same plate.

If the PS is to be external, then just a wire pair soldered to the jack and running to the 2-pin header on the board is all that would be needed.

If an LPS-1 board was to mount inside (though I'm not sold on that for a few reasons--and its PCB might be too big anyway) then the back panel DC jack would be for our "energizing"/charging supply and inside it would run to the input of the LPS-1 board--with another cable running from its output jack to the SU-1's PCB.

So now you know all my preliminary thoughts on the topic. Tim and I will be speaking on Sunday about this and other things.

Goodnight,

--Alex C.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Superdad

I'm very interested in the SU-1 powered by John's technology (Already have the F1).

Can you tell us how things seems to develop ?

Or maybe John will develop an Ethernet to SPDIF (AES/EBU) converter ?

Quite the contrary. Looks like Tim is considering a tuned version of the SU-1 similar to the Spring dac for more money!.

https://kitsunehifi.com/kte-kitsune-tuned-edition-singxer-su-1-tuned-psu-amongst-other-options-as-a-package-deal/

Well, at least he understands the value of good power [emoji3]

I'll wait and see if maybe John develop something.

Although he said it would be expensive ......

(In the thread Jesus deleted)

I think he and Superdad is developing something, but I have no idea what. Just have to be patient.

It can be an audiophile switch, a network to AES/EBU, or something totally different.

• 3 months later...
On 19.5.2017 at 8:18 PM, jcn3 said:

but by the time you buy a iso regen, an lps-1 (for the iso regen) and an su-1 (not to mention mods), you're starting to approach berkeley alpha usb territory (what's another $600 after you've spent $1200+?).

...and your point is ?

That purchase a Berkeley is better route ?

On 30.5.2017 at 9:22 AM, Duy Le said:

After modding SU1, does the hi-end USB cable make the sound better ? Yesterday I tried to test my original SU1 with Chord Silver Plus USB (5m) instead of my Supra USB (3m), the sound is clearer and forward, bass is more defined, but sound also more aggressive. The combo Intona Industrial + Supra make the sound more comfortable to me, I will test combo Intona + Chord Silver Plus. Do the Oyaide Continental 5s USB or Silver Dragon USB make the sound better after modding ?

Maybe try this one and ask for JSSG (John Swenson Shield Guidelines )

I have one in order. Pictures is in the diy cable thread. 

About all these SU-1 modification:

Only 5V  PS is to be used ? 

7V mod is not considered as good ?

I have a F1. I understand F1 and SU-1  is quite equal. Is the SU-1 really that better. Assuming you pay a lot for that AC supply not needed ? Anyone know the difference except more outputs. 

Is this similar to the SU-1 board?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122420183602

(I'm soon ordering a SU-1 I think)

10 minutes ago, elan120 said:

5V is what's required by the main board since there is one device powered by 5V and the rest will get 3.3V from another regulator that is highly recommended to also be replaced.

7V input can be used if another step-down regulator is used to send 5V to the main board, and that is what I am currently running.

So if one like to go totally crazy, you could totally remove those regulators and use one LPS-1 for the 5V and another LPS-1 for the 3,3V ?

34 minutes ago, scan80269 said:

By direct powering the board with LPS-1 at 3.3V, the only functionality lost should be MCLK/WCK.

And if im planning to use RCA or AES/EBU, i dont need ?

What is the purpose og the MCLK/WCK, i2s interface ?

Will then removing that regulator and add that pure 3,3V from LPS-1 most likely be equal to the other suggested modifications, or maybe even an better option ?

Do you think this mod may be an easier operaration ?

Would you happen to know if there is an regulator on the F1 board that can be replaced as well (using same as for SU-1 mod) ?

Meaning as long as I Vbus power the F1 from an ISO regen, I should expect to achieve same lift in SQ ? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Energy said:

For I²S transmission as long as you have a thick enough guage, insulated by PE to reduce triboelectric dischange, double shielded, and flat in design to reduce crosstalk, that's really what matters.

Time to put Ghent Audio to work maybe ? ?

And add "the JSSG cable" ( John Swenson Shield Guidelines). 

23 hours ago, scan80269 said:

I made a Schottky bridge by gluing together four Cree Schottky rectifiers with fully isolated cases, and installed it into the switching power supply of a different piece of audio gear.

I don't know if something like this can fit into the SU-1 internal power supply, though.

Cree_DIY_Schottky_Bridge.jpg

Have you tried some of the Kitsune PS mod ?

https://kitsunehifi.com/kte-kitsune-tuned-edition-singxer-su-1-tuned-psu-amongst-other-options-as-a-package-deal/

10 minutes ago, electrafixion said:

I think most of us are past that point...

So what you're saying is that the PS mod (only PS) is not recommended ? And hence no lift in SQ ?

I'm asking cause I'm doing the main board upgrade and later I will use a LPS-1 as well, but I was thinking to have that PS upgrade would be nice, if just for the next buyer. 

(I expect a even better DCC to soon hit the market). 

Just so no misunderstanding. I just bought the SU-1 new from Kitsune earlier this week, and its mainboard is being modified. 

I asked Tim to quote an upgrade for the PS only, and that he removed the PS before shipping. To which there where no respond, and the unit was shipped. 

This is is why I'm interested in understanding the PS mod. And maybe find some help to have it done as well. 

I think there is more or less an agreement in the forum about what the best main board upgrades are. Though I did not knew about a possible clock upgrade. 

Before I purchased this new SU-1, I bought a used upgraded one that stopped working after two days of use. How this will be solved is yet to see, but the SU-1 has been returned to the seller.

However the sound was fantastic ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 14.7.2017 at 1:57 AM, scan80269 said:

The Kitsune mods for SU-1 involve replacing electrolytic and film caps of the internal linear power supply, and the 3-terminal regulator with Sparkos Labs 5V discrete regulator.  On the main board 5 electrolytic caps are also replaced.

Thanks for great work on my SU-1. Scan80269 is highly recommended if you're ur looking for assistance to upgrade your SU-1. I think he even managed to keep the warranty sealing intact ?

It so happens it arrived together with the MicroRendu 1.4 upgrade. So can't comment yet to much on SQ. But it's raising. Or if the ISO REGEN ought to be part of the chain. (IR in the chain now). 

I have also left to let the SU-1 get fed by LPS-1. Should happen within next 2 weeks. Waiting only for Tim at Kitsune, that has been kind enough to offer me a kit without soldering, so I can use my own Canare quad cable. 

I think I should expect some burn in time for the SU-1, right ?

Approximately how many hours ?

I suppose these hours is not enough with just power, has to play as well ?

Has anyone had any problems that the MicroRendu doesn't see the SU-1 ?

I'm asking cause last night I left things on playing, and this morning, I could not make it play. The reason was that MicroRendu could not see the SU-1. Power cycled didn't help either. Though did not have much time to investigate. 

This afternoon, I once again power cycled, but left everything off for at least 5 min. Including both LPS-1. And vollá, up and running again. 

Also, there is new SW available for your MicroRendu, so remember to upgrade frequently ?

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Horace28 said:

To anyone using the Regen devices, I would recommend removing it and listening without it to see whether it is really improving the SU-1. In my case it deteriorated the data stream, despite many people saying it would improve it. Just a suggestion.

Same here. 

Remove IR and only use MicroRendu 1.4 was better. 

USPCB's used.