IGNORED

My (very) mini review of the Singxer SU-1 DDC

If you have creative itch and would like to improve default SU-1 power supply, here is how it could be done.

In order to make S…re Signature-like power supply you have to replace LM2940CT-5 regulator with Belleson Superpower regulator (Superpower SPZ Positive Superpower Regulator , 5v output and 78xx pin-assignment).

Next. There are 3pcs. 1000uFx25V and 1pc. 470uFx25V “no-name” electrolytic capacitors installed.

Unfortunately there is no much space inside, so you have two options:

- replace capacitors with the same size (and capacity);

- or install bigger capacitor (e.g. Jensen/Mundorf) outside power supply pcb (maximum diameter is ~35mm).

I followed first option and installed Nichicon FG Series capacitors 1000uFx16V, 470uFx16V. Film capacitors were changed as well (Wima MKS2 1uFx63V).

top view.jpg

Warning!!!! Heatsink is soldered to the ground. You MUST disconnect it from the ground by cutting PCB wires round its soldering points!!! Otherwise you will burn Belleson regulator!!

!heatsink.jpg

On the SU-1 main board there are 5pcs. "no-name" 220uFx25V capacitors. Don't like them? Replace with Nichicon FG 470uFx16V.

And if you are crazy enough, replace wires with Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold 1mm :)

It is easy, because connector is not crimped, but soldered (at least in my case)

.overview.jpg

Disclaimer: Mentioned procedure for Solder-man Level 60 and above :)

Total BOM: ~65USD excluding shipping and Mundorf wires.

@paulinus - thanks for letting us know about the mods.

Most importantly - what was the impact of the mods? Thanks!

How it was? Well...

check first 25 sec :) :)

To come to the right conclusion, you need to have two devices - with and without mod.

Unfortunately I have only one. It is definitely not worse. Plus satisfaction with modding process itself.

Just a question on the voltage reduction on the caps from 25V original to 16V... did you measure less than 16V on the rail?

Not your fault, a safety issue that occurs again and again.... See the earth wire from the power inlet that joins on the PCB? That should be screwed to the frame of the case first, then another earth cable bonded from the case to the point on the PCB. "Thou shalt not use an earth to a fixing point"

- Transformer output is 7V (basically it is 2x7V but connected in parallel);

- You are right. It is not right, but acceptable :)

@paulinus

Can I use UKZ1E471MHM Capacitor electrolytic THT 470uF 25V Ø16x25mm to update the 5 capacitors in the main board?

Where are you from?

Regards,

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe!

I do not recommend you to use mentioned capacitor type, because of pin diameter (0.8mm) and space between them (7.5mm).

No-name (original) capacitors has 0.5-0.6mm pins (as far as I remember hole size is equal) and ~4mm space between pins.

I'm from ̶M̶o̶r̶d̶o̶r̶ Moscow, Russia :)

Kind regards,

Paul

• 3 months later...
18 hours ago, scan80269 said:

Here are a couple of pics of my SU-1 with the latest mods.

Thank you for the pics!

Could please post here a photo of back(PCB) side of the unsoldered Crystek? Rumors fly, that they are not original.

Here is a pic from Mouser:

cchd-575_SPL.jpg

26 minutes ago, scan80269 said:

Here are pics of a Crystek CCHD-575 24.576MHz oscillator bought from Mouser (upper part) and the CCHD-575 22.5792MHz oscillator I unsoldered from my SU-1 (lower part).

scan80269, thank you for the quick respond!!

Reason for my question was a message on our local forum, here, in Russia, that there was no "Crystek" written on PCB. Unfortunately forum member does not post pics yet :(

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, elan120 said:

They connect the transformer in series, which drove the voltage up to 14V output before the bridge rectifier.

I think you are wrong, or there are different PCB revisions.

Let us take a look on transformer (pic.1)

I marked pins from right to left. So, in case of series connection, pins 2 and 3 must be connected together.

Now, let us take a look on the other side (pic.2)

As you could see pins 2 and 4 are connected together. It is hard to see, but on component side pins 1 and 3 are connected together as well. 

Looks like secondaries connected in parallel.

P1020431.JPG

P1020432.JPG

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2018 at 3:22 AM, Superdad said:

What chip maker produces a significant new piece and does not even have a press release about it? :S

I wrote them an e-mail and got following reply:

--------

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your mail. We are aware that a particular customer in China is using the ES8620 in a new DAC.

This device was originally designed for Soundbar applications and has been non-preferred for new designs for several years.

We do not recommend this device for new designs and we are not supporting it here in Europe.

Sincerely,

David B*****

-------