IGNORED

My (very) mini review of the Singxer SU-1 DDC

How many hours did you put on the SU-1?

I posted a review of it here: XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED! - Page 231

And then added this in a later post as the sound changed dramatically:

"An addendum to my short review of the Singxer SU-1 in post #3453. I had around 100-110 hours on it at the time and thought it was fully broken in as the recessed mid-range moved forward in line with the bass and treble then. The SU-1 is, as I noted, very revealing (much more so than the AR-T Legato it replaced) and I thought the coolness I heard was part of it's character (as the Legato/my system are slightly to the warm side).

So I was surprised when I turned it on at around 130 hours and heard a very harmonically rich, but accurate, presentation. Very pleasantly surprised."

2010 Mac Mini > Singxer SU-1 > Lampizator Amber II > Rogue Cronus Magnum (modded & NOS signal tubes with 6P3S-e power tubes) > Aural Acoustic Model B speakers. Furutech outlets, PI Audio USB Cable, PAD Aqueous Aureus Praesto Digital IC, Audio Envy ICs & SCs, TWL PCs, and PI Audio Buss-Stop power conditioner.

ahhhh...I knew I forgot to include something in my original post. I only had about 40 hours on the SU-1. I think at this point I am up to 60 hours. I will pay attention to how the sound changes over time. Its interesting to see how much our initial impressions are similar though I must admit your review was much more eloquent than mine!

BTW, too bad that thread on Head-fi got locked. It was/is is a very good and informative one. I wish the mods would consider re-opening it.

Much too kind, thank you.

Yes, it is too bad: there is a huge amount of good information in that thread.

2010 Mac Mini > Singxer SU-1 > Lampizator Amber II > Rogue Cronus Magnum (modded & NOS signal tubes with 6P3S-e power tubes) > Aural Acoustic Model B speakers. Furutech outlets, PI Audio USB Cable, PAD Aqueous Aureus Praesto Digital IC, Audio Envy ICs & SCs, TWL PCs, and PI Audio Buss-Stop power conditioner.

I'm looking to replace my hiFace EVO. This seems to be a good upgrade :)

My Theta Gen VIII dac does not have USB, so I need an USB/SPDIF converter.

I have the MicroRendu with the LPS-1. So I could VBus the F-1 version. (Which seems to be offered in an upgraded version according to some adds on eBay.)

The SU-1 seems to use the same F-1 board, right ?

In addition I can use my EVO clock on the SU-1. And of cause the AES/EBU interface.

Should I expect a better sonic performance with the SU-1 over the F-1 ?

A'm thinking that the power in the SU-1 may be a source for introducing more noise, am I wrong ?

Would I actually benefit to use the EVO clock ?

Does anyone know of this unit has the same HW ?

FUN01 XU208 XMOS USB Audio Digital Interface XLR/AES/fiber/coaxial + LPS | eBay

If yes, then this would really be good option withe the UpTone Audio LPS-1 :)

I do not know the answers to any of your questions but I believe you will find at least most of them in the referenced Head-Fi thread. Any you don't will probably be found by PMing one of the more knowledgeable posters in said thread. Good luck.

• 2 months later...
I diy a silver usb cable. It works flawlessly without SU1. But when SU1 is installed in the chain, it doesn't work. This time around I make a two headed usb cable, and again it fails with Su1. Shame.

According to Dave Elledge (PI Audio), the connectors on the stock USB cable that comes with the SU-1 are not IEEE compliant. Therefore apparently, the USB input on the SU-1 is sensitive to the connector used. I had a problem with one PI Audio cable until Dave changed the connectors.