IGNORED

Buffalo Springfield in hi-res

Artist | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

Anybody buy these? Wondering about DR. Past Buffalo Springfield digital releases haven't been Volume compressed; but haven't seen any Rhino releases rated. The past CD releases sound pretty good, so I want to be sure these aren't "ruined" by VC before I buy.

They are in 24/88, I wonder if that means there might be DSD releases in the future?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I just checked my CD's and the first is a Mono+Stereo DR10 and Again is DR9. I checked DR data base and can get older for litlle $ that are 13 and 12.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

Artist | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

Anybody buy these? Wondering about DR. Past Buffalo Springfield digital releases haven't been Volume compressed; but haven't seen any Rhino releases rated. The past CD releases sound pretty good, so I want to be sure these aren't "ruined" by VC before I buy.

They are in 24/88, I wonder if that means there might be DSD releases in the future?

FD,

Your turn to be the "volunteer" and test the waters. You always ask others now it's your turn. I love Buffalo Springfield so let us know. Thank you.

FD,

Your turn to be the "volunteer" and test the waters. You always ask others now it's your turn. I love Buffalo Springfield so let us know. Thank you.

Firedog is lucky... here you go:

foobar2000 1.3.12 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1

log date: 2016-10-21 22:50:15

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Analyzed: Buffalo Springfield / Buffalo Springfield Again

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track

DR11 -0.46 dB -14.15 dB 2:52 01-Mr. Soul

DR11 -0.87 dB -14.16 dB 2:13 02-A Child's Claim To Fame

DR11 -2.22 dB -16.75 dB 2:43 03-Everydays

DR10 -1.88 dB -16.00 dB 3:46 04-Expecting To Fly

DR10 -0.37 dB -13.42 dB 4:36 05-Bluebird

DR9 -1.52 dB -12.62 dB 3:31 06-Hung Upside Down

DR11 -4.78 dB -19.71 dB 3:04 07-Sad Memory

DR11 -0.08 dB -14.33 dB 2:18 08-Good Time Boy

DR11 -0.95 dB -14.21 dB 2:49 09-Rock & Roll Woman

DR11 -0.10 dB -15.12 dB 6:14 10-Broken Arrow

Number of tracks: 10

Official DR value: DR11

Samplerate: 88200 Hz

Channels: 2

Bits per sample: 24

Bitrate: 2724 kbps

Codec: FLAC

==================

So the DR is similar to my CD.

The hi res download sounds a bit better. Mainly the upper frequency range. It's not a big difference. I had to concentrate:

using foobar, track gain applied, doing an ABX:

foo_abx 2.0.2 report

foobar2000 v1.3.12

2016-10-21 22:52:29

File A: 04 - Buffalo Springfield - Expecting To Fly [1967].flac

SHA1: a35fc20472e0f251a303c235d568781ef6a33b52

Gain adjustment: +2.75 dB

File B: 04-Expecting To Fly.flac

SHA1: c94574d83e2c3d844ef22da37704e1c4bb923c28

Gain adjustment: -1.70 dB

Output:

WASAPI (event) : Lautsprecher (Berkeley Alpha USB Interface Audio), 24-bit

Crossfading: NO

22:52:29 : Test started.

22:55:02 : 00/01

22:56:14 : 00/02

22:56:41 : 01/03

22:57:54 : 02/04

22:58:12 : 02/05

22:58:40 : 03/06

22:59:07 : 04/07

22:59:48 : 05/08

23:00:15 : 06/09

23:00:47 : 07/10

23:00:47 : Test finished.

----------

Total: 7/10

Probability that you were guessing: 17.2%

(used: Berkeley Alpha USB > Resonessence Mirus Pro > Violectric V281 > Sennheiser HD800S

Thanks Urs.

I have a CD of "BSA" with a DR of 9, so I'll download this one.

As far as being a guinea pig, I've pretty much given up being an "early adopter" of classic pop/rock hi-res if I already have what I consider a good sounding alternative. For a lot of these albums I have multiple copies already in vinyl and digital, so my money isn't burning a hole in my pocket to buy another copy. I've experienced a few too many episodes of a $20 spend on crappy sounding remasters - mostly b/c of lowered DR. There are albums and artists I would be an early adopter for - i.e., an album I really like that doesn't have a good digital remaster already existing.

Just not willing to throw money away for record company rip-offs any more.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Okay, got the 24/88 of BS Again.

Good remaster. I'd say it is a little cleaner, smoother, and clearer than my CD version. Better. Not some huge difference.

Worth it to me b/c I really like this album. For an album that wasn't a favorite, I might not have thought it was worth the bucks.

Okay, got the 24/88 of BS Again.

Good remaster. I'd say it is a little cleaner, smoother, and clearer than my CD version. Better. Not some huge difference.

Worth it to me b/c I really like this album. For an album that wasn't a favorite, I might not have thought it was worth the bucks.

My extended thanks. I will buy it on YOUR word.

The debut is the mono mix and bit louder than the hdcd decoded mono/stereo cd. It is a little rounder with better decay easily heard on the first track. It is another worthy upgrade.

Won't replace the CD though, since it has not wealth of bonus tracks in stereo.