IGNORED

Simple question: will daisy chaining surge protectors decrease audio quality?

moviefan

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if daisy chaining surge protectors will decrease audio quality in my home theater system at all, or if this is completely irrelevant? I previously had both front speakers + center speaker + amp plugged into a single surge protector which was plugged into the outlet. However today I was trying to make things easier to access so I ended up moving the amp to a second surge protector which is plugged into the first surge protector (with the fronts + center plugged into it) which is then plugged into the outlet.

I feel like the sound quality is a little lower now but I'm also not sure if it's just my OCD making me crazy.

If either zero or one of the surge protectors has noise filtering, I don’t see any reason not to daisy chain.

However, daisy chaining multiple noise filters could be detrimental because cascading low pass filters can resonate if they happen to have the right values, which you have no way of knowing.

Mac Mini (2012 i7) > HQPlayer > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if daisy chaining surge protectors will decrease audio quality in my home theater system at all, or if this is completely irrelevant?

There are a few articles out there suggesting that the first device alters the rise time of a surge sufficiently to render those after it less effective or even ineffective in the event of incomplete control of the surge. So if you want surge rpotection for every device, you should probably not cascade them. I found an article I remembered seeing years ago called "Cascading surge-protective devices" that gets a bit granular but also suggests that it can be problematic.

Nothing I've read suggests that it'll degrade SQ, though.

Most 'point-of-use' surge protectors have MOVs connected from the Hot & Neutral to the Safety Ground/Protective Earth. Those MOVs leak noise from the H & N to the SG/PE. Bill Whitlock often writes about the problem.

Whole home surge protectors near the main breaker box are the way to go.

This is all good advice, but I just see one issue here. The OP already has the system in place and he's asking us which way sounds better. He's not sure if he can tell. Nothing wrong with that, its a perfectly valid assessment. Sometimes it really is difficult to tell. But this is one of those times where the only solution is to just do some listening. At some point, if there are real differences, he'll eventually pick up on them. Also, my first post wasn't a joke. He really should have someone change the system without him knowing.

This is all good advice, but I just see one issue here.

With all due respect, ignoring the fact that the described practice may reduce or eliminate surge protection for downstream devices is like ignoring an apical lung tumor seen on an x-ray taken because of low back pain. The OP is presumably using surge protectors to protect his equipment against damage from surges - so I suspect that he'd want to be made aware of the fact that what he's done could impair that protection. I'd certainly want to be told about potential problems that I'd unknowingly created, whether or not I asked about them.

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if daisy chaining surge protectors will decrease audio quality in my home theater system at all, or if this is completely irrelevant? I previously had both front speakers + center speaker + amp plugged into a single surge protector which was plugged into the outlet. However today I was trying to make things easier to access so I ended up moving the amp to a second surge protector which is plugged into the first surge protector (with the fronts + center plugged into it) which is then plugged into the outlet.

I feel like the sound quality is a little lower now but I'm also not sure if it's just my OCD making me crazy.

It's not OCD. My experience with daisy chaining surge protectors always degrades sound quality.

With all due respect, ignoring the fact that the described practice may reduce or eliminate surge protection for downstream devices is like ignoring an apical lung tumor seen on an x-ray taken because of low back pain. The OP is presumably using surge protectors to protect his equipment against damage from surges - so I suspect that he'd want to be made aware of the fact that what he's done could impair that protection. I'd certainly want to be told about potential problems that I'd unknowingly created, whether or not I asked about them.

That's good advice, but I see one issue here. At no point did the OP even remotely suggest that he was worried about surge protection. 100% of the post was his concern with loosing sound quality. Now, if you see off topic issues that you feel are relevant, buy all means point them out. But that's between you and the OP. With all due respect, if your concern is for the OP, you should be talking to him about this problem, not me. You can start by asking him about his concerns and the type of equipment that he actually has. That way you can not presume, but know.

Thanks for the replies. In response to the issue about actually protecting against surges, that isn't something I had previously thought of at all, but now that you mention it it seems important. Though I can't even recall the last time I ever had a surge that damaged anything and I've lived in this house for 15+ years so maybe we just don't get them?

The only reason I daisy chained them was because I wanted to keep the main one with everything else plugged into it hidden behind the TV, and then the one with only the amp closer to the front, so it's easier to reset it occasionally when needed (sometimes when the power goes out, the power to the amp gets messed up somehow and it has to be unplugged and plugged back in, so instead I just connected it to a new surge protector with an on/off switch so I wouldn't have to pull it out).

I'm not really familiar with power at all, so I apologize if anything I've asked should have been obvious.

Here's a little diagram:

Untitled-1.jpg