IGNORED

Bob Dylan wins Nobel Literature Prize

Ajax

He is suggesting that Dylan's work is great when sung, especially by Dylan, but when simply read off the page, perhaps without recourse to hearing them sung, not many of the songs qualify as great literature. So, quite simply, not Nobel worthy as just a read, as if to say if Dylan had never put these words to music and performed them, he would probably not have been nominated as a poet.

Isn't that subjective though? Godwin's objection then is that he does not like Dylan's work all that much. I'm sure every year there would be some people disapproving of the Nobel committee's choice.

Personally, I cannot read the lyrics without "hearing" the way they were sung so it's impossible to gauge how they would read without having heard Dylan first. Which makes me wonder whether it matters at all. Should only that which primarily resides on a page be called literature, or should literature be a celebration of words regardless of whether they were printed, spoken or sung? I don't think there's an easy answer and I'm all for a blurring of the lines.

Well said. Godwin does begin by writing “I’m a huge fan of Dylan. But Nobel literature laureate? I’m not so sure." So I think one can really appreciate Dylan's work and not see it as poetry. Is that subjective? I think it is to some extent and the lines are blurry--free verse, for example.

I also find it hard to recite Dylan's lyrics without hearing his voice in my head. But when I don't recall a song or have never heard it and tried reciting the lyrics, I haven't found it very impressive. Maybe it's my training in oral interpretation of literature. Perhaps readers who are unfettered and experimental could do something really good with them without having to sing or imitate. I used to do a fair amount of public recitation, participation in poetry reading groups, and attend readings. Usually, nobody sang. Allen Ginsberg is one exception I recall. And I've never heard anyone read Dylan's lyrics in a compelling way.

Dylan himself said "If I can sing it, it's a song. If I can't sing it, it's a poem". Maybe it doesn't matter anymore. Maybe it never did and just seemed to. Godwin ends by saying "At the very least, I suppose, the Nobel committee has given us an opportunity to reexamine our notions of what defines literature in the modern age.” Or post-modern age.

Following is a quote from World Oral Literature Project : About

"Definitions and understandings of oral literature

Oral literature is a broad term which may include ritual texts, curative chants, epic poems, musical genres, folk tales, creation tales, songs, myths, spells, legends, proverbs, riddles, tongue-twisters, word games, recitations, life histories or historical narratives. Most simply, oral literature refers to any form of verbal art which is transmitted orally or delivered by word of mouth. Orature is a more recent and less widely used term which emphasises the oral character and nature of literary works."

If Poets and Playwrights can be considered for the Literature prize then Bob Dylan as an Orature(?) can also.

"... in a call with Sara Danius, the permanent secretary of the Swedish Academy, Dylan said: “I appreciate the honour so much,” adding: “The news about the Nobel prize left me speechless.” And, in a separate interview with the Daily Telegraph – his first since the award – he said he would “absolutely” attend an award ceremony “if it’s at all possible”. Dylan told the paper: “It’s hard to believe … amazing, incredible. Whoever dreams about something like that?”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/oct/29/im-speechless-says-nobel-winner-bob-dylan-as-he-breaks-his-two-week-silence

• 1 month later...