IGNORED

The thread that off-topic posts get tossed into; Feel free to continue whatever discussions here.

Here is a tip for those needing a good 25cm (and longer) DC cable using Kimber wires. Also possible to order with various DC plug configurations. Russ Andrews 2016 - Connect With Your Music

"Upon receipt of your order, we aim to despatch this item within 27 working days" :'(

(this is for any length with 2.1mm jacks at both ends)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

"Upon receipt of your order, we aim to despatch this item within 27 working days" :'(

(this is for any length with 2.1mm jacks at both ends)

They have been much quicker when I have ordered from them. I guess it is due to their re-release of the Yellow Power AC cable? All cables are hand-built in UK.

BTW. I just ordered 2pcs Oyaide DC2,1G plugs for $34,20 incl freight to Sweden from here Japan Oyaide DC-2.1G 24K Gold Plated fever DC Power Connector plug | eBay

I intend to solder my own short DC wire with positive and negative wires on a distance from each other (O-shape...not twisted). Now I will have a look for suitable hook-up wires with silver. If anyone knows were to buy these please let me know! :)

these ones (various lengths) also look "interesting"

not 100% sure plugs are 5.5x2.1 but seems so

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

So quite strangely, the El Cheapo voltage readout was rock solid last night. I listened for only about a half hour; perhaps the behavior only manifests when the regulator warms up beyond its optimal operating range?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

BTW. I just ordered 2pcs Oyaide DC2,1G plugs for $34,20 incl freight to Sweden from here Japan Oyaide DC-2.1G 24K Gold Plated fever DC Power Connector plug | eBay

I intend to solder my own short DC wire with positive and negative wires on a distance from each other (O-shape...not twisted). Now I will have a look for suitable hook-up wires with silver. If anyone knows were to buy these please let me know! :)

I did a similar project a year or two ago, using Oyaide DC plugs.

The wire I used was Mundorf MConnect SGW Silver Gold wire

part number is

"SGW205WH/YE SilverGold wire 2*0.2mm2 PTFE-insulated"

Got it from eBay (think it was this seller)

Mundorf PDF data sheet , in the lower right of this PDF I think it says

"* Insulation test voltage 2 500V DC". As I only needed the DC cable to supply 19V,

I thought that will do (at least it is over specced for my intended purpose).

I twisted mine (not O shaped like you are planning), no shield.

It did make a difference, but to put my DIY DC cable project in perspective, it was indeed a very subtle improvement (my experience has been that AC cables make a bigger difference).

Probably more worth it for me, for peace of mind that there were no weak links.

Good luck with your project, have fun.

John

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

I did a similar project a year or two ago, using Oyaide DC plugs.

The wire I used was Mundorf MConnect SGW Silver Gold wire

part number is

"SGW205WH/YE SilverGold wire 2*0.2mm2 PTFE-insulated"

Got it from eBay (think it was this seller)

Mundorf PDF data sheet , in the lower right of this PDF I think it says

"* Insulation test voltage 2 500V DC". As I only needed the DC cable to supply 19V,

I thought that will do (at least it is over specced for my intended purpose).

I twisted mine (not O shaped like you are planning), no shield.

It did make a difference, but to put my DIY DC cable project in perspective, it was indeed a very subtle improvement (my experience has been that AC cables make a bigger difference).

Probably more worth it for me, for peace of mind that there were no weak links.

Good luck with your project, have fun.

John

Thanks a lot John! :)

My USB cables actually have Mundorf Silver Gold wires in the data wires...so I am pretty confident that it is a good suggestion! :)

I know it might not be a night and day change in the sound compared to my Russ Andrew DC cables...but I want to use the same theory on all my cables! :)

I have just finalized a AC test cable as well with the same theory involved. Here is some pictures:

1476985158058.jpg

Made from a dissicated Supra Lorad2,5 cable. Not pretty (I had to cover the ground wire with electrical tape since the Supra ground wire couples with the shield) but I intend to make a proper cable with better wires and plugs in a short while. The sound was a great improvement compared to my current Audioquest NRG-2 and Supra LoRad2,5 MKII! :)

/Micael

1476985148812.jpg

Jud, if you are playing your IFI microIDSD DAC, the internal battery may be charging causing the observed voltage fluctuations. Once done, the voltage becomes stable. I found it takes 24 hours for the IFI microIDSD to fully charge.

That could be, but does the battery charge while the DAC is playing from its battery? I nearly always run the DAC from its own battery. Actually, last night I accidentally had it running for a minute while drawing power from the Regen (powered by the LPS-1 in turn being charged by the El Cheapo), and the voltage was just as rock steady as when the DAC was running from its battery. Also, the El Cheapo voltage cycling so closely duplicated John's description of the LPS-1 charging cycle that I think his explanation must be at least a large part of what was going on.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

So my El Cheapo has begun doing something strange and alarming (to me): The digital voltage readout is now continually fluctuating between 8.9x and 9.28. It'll sit at 9.28 for a couple of seconds, then roll down to 8.9 something and back up again. The LPS-1 it powers and the Regen powered by the LPS-1 also felt warmer after I observed this last night than the last time I checked them a few days ago.

I've taken the El Cheapo out of service and will look around in various boxes for the MeanWell; failing that I'll use the iFi.

I assume the fluctuation can't be good, at the very least for whatever it might do to system noise and/or the long term health of the LPS-1. Is this correct, or should I not be particularly concerned? If I should, does anyone feel like providing a remote diagnosis, and does it seem like something that could be cheaply repaired?

I have a double 12v 1a el cheapo powering a couple of switches, and the displays have always flickered between voltages (about .3 to .6 or so). It's been running about three years now with no problem so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

LPS-1 delivered a few minutes ago and already at work :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30014[/ATTACH]

(will take care of those spaghetti later[emoji14])

Since the very few instants: way quieter background and much wider sound stage (only grievance with this new 2Qute, compared to my beloved Metrum Hex, was a narrow soundstage): for the first time I'm hearing sounds coming from well beyond speakers position :)

waiting now for my Audiophilleo to be back (upgraded to 368KHz/DSD-128 ;) ) as you might guess from the "empty" double BNC connector ;)

great job indeed John and Alex [ATTACH=CONFIG]30015[/ATTACH]

Beautiful USB cable you've got there! ;) Love that cable. Be sure to get a couple of screw terminal DC male & female for that GND wire as well someday...to see what lifting the ground is all about! :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

micael

Put those inside a glass bulb and you will have reinvented the light globe !

(Use resistance wire with a s/c at the top)

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Neotech is good manufacturer for many things audio. Sonic Craft in US has the complete line. If I were to buy silver wires, I will get from them. There are many options for various gauges of wire.

Neotech Solid UPOCC Silver in Teflon 23 AWG White, Sonic Craft

:::NEOTECH::: Professional Cable for Perfect Audios

Neotech is good manufacturer for many things audio. Sonic Craft in US has the complete line. If I were to buy silver wires, I will get from them. There are many options for various gauges of wire.

Neotech Solid UPOCC Silver in Teflon 23 AWG White, Sonic Craft

:::NEOTECH::: Professional Cable for Perfect Audios

Thanks for your suggestion sig8...and sorry you end up here! ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

That could be, but does the battery charge while the DAC is playing from its battery? I nearly always run the DAC from its own battery. Actually, last night I accidentally had it running for a minute while drawing power from the Regen (powered by the LPS-1 in turn being charged by the El Cheapo), and the voltage was just as rock steady as when the DAC was running from its battery. Also, the El Cheapo voltage cycling so closely duplicated John's description of the LPS-1 charging cycle that I think his explanation must be at least a large part of what was going on.

Well, if the battery isn't charged, I'd suspect it will play from a combination of the battery and DC power source, at least until the battery is full. So you may think it's running from battery only, but it's not.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Well, if the battery isn't charged, I'd suspect it will play from a combination of the battery and DC power source, at least until the battery is full. So you may think it's running from battery only, but it's not.

Could well be. On the other hand, the instructions that come with the micro-iDSD say it runs from its battery if turned on prior to external power being applied, even after that external power is live, while it uses the external power (and presumably uses some of it for charging) if external power is live prior to turning on the DAC.

My understanding is that yes, if run on battery the iDSD micro will still take current to charge the battery.

Thanks to you and lmitche.

It probably doesn't charge while running from battery immediately or even very quickly. (I never noticed it when playing for an hour or two, though it could have occurred.)

My only remaining question is whether the higher temperatures in the LPS-1 and El Cheapo are caused by or a cause of the voltage fluctuations, or both.

My only remaining question is whether the higher temperatures in the LPS-1 and El Cheapo are caused by or a cause of the voltage fluctuations, or both.

Hi Jud:

If I understand your question, then I can only report two things:

a) An LPS-1 delivering a full 1-amp will get VERY warm (in about 15 minutes); Parts inside will still be running at less than half their rated temps, but the case will act as a heatsink.

b) The iFi iDSD drawing full USB spec current (500mA) from the 5VBUS of the REGEN, plus the REGEN's own 60mA needs should result in only about 560mA being drawn from the LPS-1. Being above 0.5A that is putting the LPS-1 into its higher-current charging mode, so some parts in it will be just as hot as if it was outputting 1A--and whatever supply is feeding it will see swings into max draw as John has previously explained.

As for the iFi iDSD and how and when it draws power to operate or power to charge its batteries: I've had one for almost 3 months and I still can't figure out its patterns and lights with regards to charging (though thanks to you I am now more conscious about the order in which I switch it on as it affects battery operation versus bus-operation). I know this unit is meant as a portable device, but the battery aspect--and its sharing of the single LED for indication--is my least favorite aspect of it.

BTW, while I typically use HQ Player to send it DSD256, I must say that PCM768 sounds quite good too! :)

Hi Jud:

If I understand your question, then I can only report two things:

a) An LPS-1 delivering a full 1-amp will get VERY warm (in about 15 minutes); Parts inside will still be running at less than half their rated temps, but the case will act as a heatsink.

b) The iFi iDSD drawing full USB spec current (500mA) from the 5VBUS of the REGEN, plus the REGEN's own 60mA needs should result in only about 560mA being drawn from the LPS-1. Being above 0.5A that is putting the LPS-1 into its higher-current charging mode, so some parts in it will be just as hot as if it was outputting 1A--and whatever supply is feeding it will see swings into max draw as John has previously explained.

As for the iFi iDSD and how and when it draws power to operate or power to charge its batteries: I've had one for almost 3 months and I still can't figure out its patterns and lights with regards to charging (though thanks to you I am now more conscious about the order in which I switch it on as it affects battery operation versus bus-operation). I know this unit is meant as a portable device, but the battery aspect--and its sharing of the single LED for indication--is my least favorite aspect of it.

BTW, while I typically use HQ Player to send it DSD256, I must say that PCM768 sounds quite good too! :)

Hey Alex. :)

This goes along with other reports here and on the Web. At Head-Fi, iFi says when the micro-iDSD is turned on, it doesn't begin drawing power to recharge until the battery is down to the 80% level. With approximately 10-hour battery life, that's a couple of hours of use, which ties in to my not seeing the voltage on the El Cheapo fluctuate until a day I'd been playing music for hours. Your description of what the LPS-1 does then ties into why it, the El Cheapo, and the Regen become warmer since more power is being drawn through the LPS-1 when the DAC's battery is being charged.

Das Blinkenlights (well, they don't actually blink that often :) ) -

From the user manual ( http://ifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/data/manual/micro_iDSD_Manual.pdf ) -

Power on:

Magenta DSD512 and 24.5MHz

Blue DSD256 and 12.2MHz

Cyan DSD64/128 and 3.1/6.2MHz

White 705.6/768kHz

Yellow 176.4/192/352.8/384

Green 44.1/48/88.2/96

Green blinking Waiting for USB connection

Red Battery low

None Battery empty

Power off:

Blue Charging

None Charged

See? Easy! ;)