IGNORED

Early Genesis in High Resolution

Does anyone know of a source for some good quality high resolution Genesis recordings? Specifically the albums where Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett were in the band. (Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (post Gabriel but still with Hackett) A Trick of the Tail, Wind & Wuthering.)

As much as I know, there are no "good" versions of the early Genesis out there in digital, which is a pity as I'm a huge fan. I still have the vinyls in my basement, maybe I should get myself a turntable.

You basically have the choice between higher DR, but noise reduction "Definite Edition" redbooks from the 1990s, and the 2007 SACD, which are quite compressed.

Unfortunately the more recent BluRay release was also based on the 2007 SACD remaster.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f13-music-downloads-and-streaming/imagine-and-selling-england-pound-19042/

As much as I know, there are no "good" versions of the early Genesis out there in digital, which is a pity as I'm a huge fan. I still have the vinyls in my basement, maybe I should get myself a turntable.

You basically have the choice between higher DR, but noise reduction "Definite Edition" redbooks from the 1990s, and the 2007 SACD, which are quite compressed.

I have the SACDs covering the albums released from 1972-1980. Unfortunately compression has been applied to these. Even so, you would not be able to pry these from my cold dead hands. I absolutely love these.

They are remixes so they do differ from the original releases and the reissues that followed them. These remixes reveal additional insight into the music that, IMHO, make these albums a more compelling listening experience. I do have a turntable, plus clean copies of their vinyl, but I can't tell you the last time I felt the need to pull out one of their LPs.

Interestingly enough, I just played "Duke" this weekend. The sound was mind-blowingly stunning. It had not always been that way though. One downside of the compression is that it adds a bit of hardness - particularly to the later albums. This has become less of an issues since switching to the microRendu. Powering the microRendu with an LPS-1 has made it even less of an issue.

Like Musicophile, I do wish there were better versions that lacked the compression. But overall I'm extremely delighted to have these SACDs.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC 

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali power conditioner, Shunyata Alpha and Delta power cords, Shunyata Alpha interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD60 speaker cables, ASC isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels

Thanks for the replies so far. It might be worth mentioning that Steve Hackett has remade 17 songs from this era and released them as "Genesis Revisited II." He has on his web site what is known as a "24 bit Studio Master FLAC" available for download. I do have a copy but sadly this modern remake is heavily compressed too. Don't get me wrong its a great download and I love listening to it. Its a shame that its been over processed. Access to a flat transfer would be nice.

https://store.hackettsongs.com/collections/downloads/products/genesis-revisited-ii-24-bit-studio-master-flac

Yes only SACD's available. They include original album remastered and DVD surround sound version of album plus some video out takes, largely poor quality(video) but worth watching as these are the only video records from the days when bands did not film live performances for public release. These are well worth collecting probably at second hand prices now.

I would dearly love to rip these discs but not having the gear or inclination to do this I'm stuck with listening through my Cambridge BR player.

These discs are better sounding than both the vinyl and CD's but are a little on the bright side as are other recordings from this era.

Would be great to get these as PCM24/96 downloads.

Robert

I've listened to Steve Hackett's recordings but they are not the same as the originals with original lineup. Phil Collins has time on his hands these days as he has given up drumming. He could remaster recordings as Jimi Page did for Led Zeppelin.

Upon further investigation I see "Selling England by the Pound" was released on Blueray Dec 2013 but the rest of the catalogue has not. I suppose sales didn't happen. They could pass these on as Hires downloads now.

See this press release: Genesis News Com [it] / Genesis / Genesis albums to be released on Pure Audio Blu-ray

Robert

This will have all the same flaws as the SACDs.

What the band needs is the "Panegyric" treatment - e.g. see the re-release campaign for King Crimson and Yes (plus Gentle Giant, Jethro Tull, XTC).

Genesis botched it last time and can't see anything happening for some time.

Yes, absolutely! If you already have some vinyl, then you should invest in a decent LP rig.

Auralic Aries G2, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments, Sonore opticalModule (X2)

I even have my old Project 1 (the very first one) still in storage. But honestly, I'm way to lazy for Vinyl these days.

I could give your old Genesis a good home. :)

(I may look at silver discs, however.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical to EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> ISO Regen -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I could give your old Genesis a good home. :)

(I may look at silver discs, however.)

Nah, I'll keep the vinyls until one day I'll reactivite the record player (or get a new one). Some things need to be left for retirement.

This will have all the same flaws as the SACDs.

What the band needs is the "Panegyric" treatment - e.g. see the re-release campaign for King Crimson and Yes (plus Gentle Giant, Jethro Tull, XTC).

Genesis botched it last time and can't see anything happening for some time.

The surround mixes are nice and dynamic at least. I often listen to those downmixed to stereo on the fly.