IGNORED

Karajan's Tchaikovsky symphonies remastered in 24/96

HD00028947964957_185.jpg

Tchaikovsky: Symphonies No. 1-6 | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

Great recordings in excellent remastered sound! And the price is great, too - $20.98 (minus 15% with the current discount).

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29884[/ATTACH]

Tchaikovsky: Symphonies No. 1-6 | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

Great recordings in excellent remastered sound! And the price is great, too - $20.98 (minus 15% with the current discount).

Definitely a very tempting price for those in the USA. The best price I have seen in Europe so far is from HRA who charge 40€ for the whole set.

I have the earlier mid 60s DGG Karajan BPO symphonies 4-5 and 6 on LPs. And they are still pretty good for their age and the playing is as expected up there among the very best .

The BPO under Karajan was one of the best orchestras ever, imho.

This offer contains the later in some ways actually less well recorded 70s recordings.

I have only got the 1st Winter Dreams, on LP and it is very well played but sounds a bit artificial and cavernous, even constricted at tutti fortes.

It would be interesting to hear if the remastering has cleaned up some of the somewhat screechy massed string sound on LP or not?

In the 70s Karajan and the BPO als made quite a few recordings for EMI in generally better SQ than the DGGs of the same period.

The recording engineer for those, Wolfgang Gülich, is on record saying that he used only half the number of mics that DGG used. And the results on a good system speaks clearly of the advantage of fewer mics imho.

But for EMI they only recorded the 4th 5th and 6th, and in quad.

I think HDtracks has got those too.

For those who also want Tchaikovsky in modern digital SQ there are plenty of versions to choose from.

My current top list version for SQ is the recent Reference Recordings of the 6th from Pittsburgh which is quite impressive sq-wise and also a very good performance in many ways.

I haven´t heard the Channel Classics release discussed in the post above, but I like their version of the 4th.