IGNORED

Norah Jones-The Fall

I just received the new "Norah Jones-The Fall" deluxe CD today.

I am most disappointed, as those stupid record company executives have now decided that even Norah Jones deserves their heavy handed LOUDNESS treatment.

Just out of curiosity, I did a quick transformation of the track "Back to Manhattan" using SeeDeClip Duo Pro, then normalised in Sound Forge 9 to a max. of -3dB , and it sounds quite promising. I will try the same with the rest of the tracks tomorrow, to see how they respond.

SandyK

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I have this album too and I think it's great!

It's a long way from being AC/DC but it's as if Norah's finally grown a pair, and they really suit her. (Apologies for the seriously disturbing mental image).

On reading up a bit more it seems she's ditched her old band, and amongst the new collaborators are Tom Wait's guitarist and producer - so I figure the distorted sound is more because they like it that way than as a result of record company executive interference or the current fashion for heavily compressed mastering. In fact I'd say you should count yourself lucky they didn't get poor Norah to drink a couple of bottles of vodka, then have her jump around the studio half naked screaming her head off and hitting kitchen pots...

...Ummm where was I? *distracted*

Oh yeah... On the other hand I can sympathise with your wish to take the edge off - I have some pet hates of my own. My heart and my head tell me I should listen to it the way it was 'meant to be', as far as is possible, but my ears don't always agree.

souptin

Out of curiosity, I converted all the tracks from this album using SeeDeClip Duo Pro at default settings, then normalised them again in SoundForge 9 to a maximum level of -1dB.(-3dB on the initial test track) Norah's voice then sounded much more like on her previous albums,and sweeter than before conversion.Instead of feeling a little pissed off about the album, my feet started tapping, and I had to listen to the whole album again.However, it may then be a little too relaxing for some !

SandyK

P.S.

I can upload both versions of track 9 if you are interested. Without the added Normalisation in SF9 the differences are more subtle.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I think generally this album is a change if direction artistically, rather than the SQ being a result of the Loudness wars. I've heard a recent live performance and the overall sound was very similar to The Fall CD (at least as sold in UK).

Looking at the waveform in Wave Editor and playing it with TT Dynamic Range meter shows no lack of dynamic range and no evidence of clipping.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

and am surprised to read that the waveform looks ok. I LOVE Norah, but this production, IMO, puts her in a category that is filled with Top 40 artists. I miss my soothing, eclectic, sometimes-sparsely-produced Norah. My $.02

• 1 month later...

I'm glad I read this. Norah is very popular among our audiophile customers but I find her kind of boring. The change in guitarist and producer could be interesting. She can certainly sing.

Thanks for the info.

Rick

Audio Research DAC8, Mac mini w/8g ram, SSD, Amarra full version, Audio Research REF 5SE Preamp, Sutherland Phd, Ayre V-5, Vandersteen 5A\'s, Audioquest Wild and Redwood cabling, VPI Classic 3 w/Dynavector XX2MkII

• 2 weeks later...

I think there are two separate issues here ...

First off: has the audio been compressed to fit in with the modern "demand" for low dynamic range? This is a factual issue which has a definitive answer.

Second: Norah has had a change of artistic direction for whatever reason. It's an individual's choice is they like this or not. This is subjective and has no right or wrong answer.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 1 year later...

From Allmusic.com

Ryan Adams Composer

Brad Bivens Engineer

Ronette Bowie A&R

Greg Calbi Mastering

Sam Cohen Guitar (Electric)

Autumn de Wilde Photography

Macklam Feldman Management

James Gadson Drums

Jon Graboff Pedal Steel

Frank Harkins Art Direction, Design