IGNORED

UltraCap™ LPS-1 Troubleshooting, system grounding, etc.

Why power the Hugo from an LPS-1? I thought the Hugo's SMPS only charges the battery, and the Hugo itself only draws power from the battery. I believe the battery already isolates the Hugo from the AC.

Do you hear a difference with Hugo running entirely off battery vs with SMPS charging it?

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

I'm wondering the same . . . But to each his own.

Why power the Hugo from an LPS-1? I thought the Hugo's SMPS only charges the battery, and the Hugo itself only draws power from the battery. I believe the battery already isolates the Hugo from the AC.

Do you hear a difference with Hugo running entirely off battery vs with SMPS charging it?

1. Because I'm in the middle of bumF*** Egypt and the Hugo took a dump, one of the Lipo batteries is completely dead.

2. I don't have another DAC but I've got the two LPS-1s.

3. The LPS-1's if successful should outshine the LIPO batteries, maybe significantly.

4. Don't believe everything Chord feeds you. Remember they said a LPS won't effect the SQ on the 2Qute, right.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

1. Because I'm in the middle of bumF*** Egypt and the Hugo took a dump, one of the Lipo batteries is completely dead.

3. The LPS-1's if successful should outshine the LIPO batteries, maybe significantly.

4. Don't believe everything Chord feeds you. Remember they said a LPS won't effect the SQ on the 2Qute, right.

Got it. Makes sense to me.

Thanks for the explanation. Sorry to hear that your Hugo's battery is shot. My Mojo is actually right now on the way to a service center for that very reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Okay, I changed the two LPS-1s back to parallel, set both to 7V. Should be getting about 2.2A. Hooked them up to the hugo and turned it on, I get the underpowered 5 blinking red with one green on both units. I can't believe this DAC actually uses that much power. But it's asking for it. The Lipo battery can do nominally 3.75V with 2.2Ah X 2 batteries.

Sorry, but paralleling UltraCap LPS-1 until will not work and will not double the available amperage. The only way for that to work is if I hand select two boards whose outputs match to within 10mA of one another (measured driving exactly the same current load).

And then the cables to the load should be at least the 45cm of the provided cables to add a bit of resistance. Unless both those things are done, the DAC (or whatever you are powering) will end up drawing much more from one supply than the other.

I have only ever sold one matched pair, and that was to Gstew (who now has something like 8 LPS-1s!) for a special project. It was time consuming to find a perfectly matched pair, and so that is not a service we are offering.

Wiring LPS-1s in series works fine though. 10V, 12V, and 14V are all easy with a pair of supplies, and even higher is possible with additional units.

Okay, also I see (upon reading) I should have remained in parallel to get double the amperage at 7V, which is what I really need? I think? Depends on the above answer? Maybe I did that wrong to begin with and 1 LPS-1 would have sufficed?

Please send us a little diagram of how the existing batteries are connected. You might be able to get away with one LPS-1 to one input and the other LPS-1 to the other input. But I need to know how things with the batteries are connected to begin with.

John S.

Please send us a little diagram of how the existing batteries are connected. You might be able to get away with one LPS-1 to one input and the other LPS-1 to the other input. But I need to know how things with the batteries are connected to begin with.

John S.

Yes, thanks John. After Alex mentioned that parallel wiring of the LPS-1's would not work towards increased amperage, I thought the same thing. Hook the LPS-1's separately to the two sets of leads on the Hugo. The big question is the voltage and whether the amperage at 2.2A will be sufficient. I think it may work because I have right now replaced the one faulty Lipo battery with a LIFEPO4 battery trickle charging to 3.3V and the Hugo fires up, no problem, the good Lipo battery kept charged at 3.75V to 4.2V.

Will try another day when I get my new Lipo batteries here.

You guys enjoy your time out there and don't wait too long for adding to the Uptone lineup.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Nope, didn't work. Tried one LPS-1 set at 5V and then 3.3V, in combination with the Lifepo4 battery (which worked in combo with the LIPO battery). It's pretty simple, two sets of leads for each battery (2 batteries) (1 battery on different sides of the Hugo), positive and negative. All I get is flashing 5 red and 1 green. Even when the Hugo isn't powered up it flashes 5 red then 1 green, which I don't understand why. So definitely two LPS-1's are not going to work, each given there own separate connection.

Maybe there is some battery protective feature in the Hugo??? Unfortunately, Chord is not helpful.

Nope, didn't work. Tried one LPS-1 set at 5V and then 3.3V, in combination with the Lifepo4 battery (which worked in combo with the LIPO battery). It's pretty simple, two sets of leads for each battery (2 batteries) (1 battery on different sides of the Hugo), positive and negative. All I get is flashing 5 red and 1 green. Even when the Hugo isn't powered up it flashes 5 red then 1 green, which I don't understand why. So definitely two LPS-1's are not going to work, each given there own separate connection.

Maybe there is some battery protective feature in the Hugo??? Unfortunately, Chord is not helpful.

The red flashing then one green is an over current condition. (over 1A)

Please send a diagram showing the connection with the original batteries, what the voltages are at ech point and what you did with the LPS-1s. I'm just not visualizing what you did and how it is supposed to be hooked up.

Thanks,

John S.

The red flashing then one green is an over current condition. (over 1A)

Please send a diagram showing the connection with the original batteries, what the voltages are at ech point and what you did with the LPS-1s. I'm just not visualizing what you did and how it is supposed to be hooked up.

Thanks,

John S.

Thanks John, here is the Chord Hugo

hugo.jpg

2 lipo batteries from ENIX,

Nominal Voltage 3.75V

Nominal Capacity 2.2Ah

Nominal Energy 8.25Wh

Charge Voltage 4.2V

Max Charge Current 1.6A

hugo charger switching - 12V .6A

One of these batteries went completely dead, tested with Voltage meter. The other was fine, 4.2V. Batteries are hard wired to leads on board.

1st attempt, Run leads from positive to positive and negative to negative on the two battery inputs, batteries removed, tap into those leads to hook up one LPS-1 at 7V. Failed over current condition before powering up and attempt after.

2nd attempt, hook up two LPS-1's in a series, at 5V and 3.3V, for a total of 8.3V, tested is 8.3V. Hooked up to leads, no response from Hugo, does not power up, did not receive failed current condition.

3rd attempt, use good Lipo battery that came with Hugo, and an extra lifepo4 battery I had. Lifepo4 battery charge on switching power supply to 3.3V. Each on their own inputs. Success, hugo powers up and works for about 45minutes (fails under load around 6.5V to 6.6V), then unable to charge properly the lipo battery. Can't charge with Hugo power charger, Hugo stops charging.

4th attempt, use Lifepo4 battery with 1 LPS-1 unit, both on their own inputs. LPS-1 unit attempted at 3.3V and 5V. Failed, over current condition even with Lifepo 4 battery working. Fails before even attempting to power up and attempting to power up.

4th attempt, use Lifepo4 battery with 1 LPS-1 unit, both on their own inputs. LPS-1 unit attempted at 3.3V and 5V. Failed, over current condition even with Lifepo 4 battery working. Fails before even attempting to power up and attempting to power up.

All this is highly nonstandard and is neither a prescribed use for the LPS-1 nor something that I imagine Chord condones either. My suggestion os to stop before you damage either your DAC or the LPS-1s. I also do not see why one would want to use an LPS-1 as a battery charger.

Cheers,

--Alex C.

All this is highly nonstandard and is neither a prescribed use for the LPS-1 nor something that I imagine Chord condones either. My suggestion os to stop before you damage either your DAC or the LPS-1s. I also do not see why one would want to use an LPS-1 as a battery charger.

Cheers,

--Alex C.

I think there was a breakdown in understanding. I don't want to use the LPS-1 as a charger. I wanted to attempt to power the Chord Hugo in place of my LIPO batteries + power charger input. But considering I couldn't get it to work, I already have two new LIPO batteries on the way. At John's request I posted what I have attempted and a quick diagram of the Hugo. I agree, Chord is of no help and by no means do I expect Uptone audio to solve this matter. Just fishing for some ideas.

Just fishing for some ideas.

fix Hugo's batteries, sell it, get a 2Qute and power it from two LPS-1s :P

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

fix Hugo's batteries, sell it, get a 2Qute and power it from two LPS-1s :P

Yup, I'm already ahead of you on that one.

• 3 weeks later...
I think there was a breakdown in understanding. I don't want to use the LPS-1 as a charger. I wanted to attempt to power the Chord Hugo in place of my LIPO batteries + power charger input. But considering I couldn't get it to work, I already have two new LIPO batteries on the way. At John's request I posted what I have attempted and a quick diagram of the Hugo. I agree, Chord is of no help and by no means do I expect Uptone audio to solve this matter. Just fishing for some ideas.

If you want a Hugo without batteries, get a 2Qute...?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

If you want a Hugo without batteries, get a 2Qute...?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Guess you didn't read the last post above yours.

• Superdad unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...

@Superdad

Hey Alex,

I recently move my LPS-1 onto the table very near to me and also notice a regular, interval tiny high-pitch click from the LPS-1 itself. (Not from the music playback system).

Then I find someone who had similar issue from the link.

Is it considered to be normal?

Any help would be appreciated.

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

2 hours ago, louisxiawei said:

@Superdad

Hey Alex,

I recently move my LPS-1 onto the table very near to me and also notice a regular, interval tiny high-pitch click from the LPS-1 itself. (Not from the music playback system).

Then I find someone who had similar issue from the link.

Is it considered to be normal?

Any help would be appreciated.

Well you found and read my report.  I suppose on the right table, with an ear held a couple of centimeters away, in an ultra-quiet room, someone might hear a tiny click from the charging circuit (the banks switch without and relays so that cannot be heard.).

As long as you unit is working then all is normal. 

Agian, the LPS-1, by any reasonable standard is completely silent.  No offense, but you are only the second person in world to say they can hear something from it--and I tested and reported on the other fellow's unit.  So no need to worry.  :)

--Alex C.

58 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Well you found and read my report.  I suppose on the right table, with an ear held a couple of centimeters away, in an ultra-quiet room, someone might hear a tiny click from the charging circuit (the banks switch without and relays so that cannot be heard.).

As long as you unit is working then all is normal. 

Agian, the LPS-1, by any reasonable standard is completely silent.  No offense, but you are only the second person in world to say they can hear something from it--and I tested and reported on the other fellow's unit.  So no need to worry.  :)

--Alex C.

Thanks for the reply, Alex.

I think my high-pitch click is quite audible and I count the interval time is around 20-22 seconds per "click", the distance between LPS-1 and me is around 100 cm.

I don't need to hold my breath to hear it, the sound only comes out of the LPS-1, no any funny noise in the music playback system. 

Because my ISO-REGEN just arrived today, so I unplugged the LPS-1 and move the ISO REGEN with LPS-1 to a new position to feed my DAC. I'm thinking maybe LPS-1 is charging the ultra-cap and make the click sound?

Never notice before because I used to put the LPS-1 on my stationary PC under my desk. I will observe it for a few days  and let you know if the problem still exists.

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

• 4 months later...

Technical problem concerning Sonore UltraRendu and UpTone Ultracap LPS-1

(This is posted in both forums simultaneously to get help from both ends.)
While listening to music the UltraRendu fell dead, no LED or other sign of life. The LPS-1 showed a green LED.
Restarting the LPS-1 (through red and orange to green) by unplugging and replugging, the UltraRendu came to life, showed red LED and blinked green and orange LEDs at the LAN port – and fell dead again after three seconds or so, the LPS-1 blinks red two or three times, the UltraRendu starts again, same cycle happens for up to four times or so, then the LPS-1 blinks red up to five times before going back to green and the UltraRendu remains dark.
Sometimes the UltraRendu seems to have stabilized until I try to set the DAC to maximum volume in the Sonicorbiter software and the UltraRendu dies then.

When I replug the LPS-1 everything starts again and so on.

This has happened once before and after 15 tries or so everything worked flawlessly for about a month but now the problem seems permanent.

When I use the Meanwell power supply alone without LPS-1 it goes into the same cycle for two or three times and works finally without a problem (except it´s sound).

Is this a known problem?
Is the LPS-1 just broke?
What can I do?

On 11/26/2017 at 5:18 AM, vunthom said:

Technical problem concerning Sonore UltraRendu and UpTone Ultracap LPS-1

(This is posted in both forums simultaneously to get help from both ends.)
While listening to music the UltraRendu fell dead, no LED or other sign of life. The LPS-1 showed a green LED.
Restarting the LPS-1 (through red and orange to green) by unplugging and replugging, the UltraRendu came to life, showed red LED and blinked green and orange LEDs at the LAN port – and fell dead again after three seconds or so, the LPS-1 blinks red two or three times, the UltraRendu starts again, same cycle happens for up to four times or so, then the LPS-1 blinks red up to five times before going back to green and the UltraRendu remains dark.
Sometimes the UltraRendu seems to have stabilized until I try to set the DAC to maximum volume in the Sonicorbiter software and the UltraRendu dies then.

When I replug the LPS-1 everything starts again and so on.

This has happened once before and after 15 tries or so everything worked flawlessly for about a month but now the problem seems permanent.

When I use the Meanwell power supply alone without LPS-1 it goes into the same cycle for two or three times and works finally without a problem (except it´s sound).

Is this a known problem?
Is the LPS-1 just broke?
What can I do?

Hi there:  Sorry that you are having difficulty with the pairing of your UltraCap LPS-1 with the Sonore ultraRendu.  Let's see what we can do to help.

While at first I was thinking that perhaps the combined load of your ultraRendu and the DAC (whatever current your DAC draws from the 5VBUS of the ultraRendu adds to the load on the LPS-1) might be exceeding your LPS-1 unit's capability.  Though of course we have a great many people using the LPS-1 with the ultraRendu.  And we need to confirm that you are using the supplied Mean Well as the charger for the LPS-1 (important that whatever charger is used has enough current to allow the LPS-1 to get out of its low current charge mode).

But then I see you report: "When I use the Meanwell power supply alone without LPS-1 it goes into the same cycle for two or three times..."  This means that the issue can not be with the LPS-1 and must be something going on with your ultraRendu.  

Has Sonore had anything to say about this?

You are of course welcome to send your UltraCap LPS-1 in for testing (and warranty replacement if needed), but it is not clear to me that you are actually experiencing a failing of the power supply. 

One thing you could try is hooking up just the ultraRendu to the LPS-1--without the DAC connected to the ultraRendu--and report what happens.

Your CA member name does not correspond to your real name, so perhaps you will write to us (or call) via the Contact page of our web site so that we can assist you further directly.  

And if you have already solved the problem, please do post here so that others can learn from your experience.

Thanks and regards,

--Alex C.

Hi Superdad,

thank you for your kind reply!

I had not thought about the powering of the following converter via USB. It´s a (imho very good) German built Acousence "AFI + USB", the first part/box of it which changes the USB input to an optical signal which is sent through three seperate glass fiber cabels into the (self powered) DDC. An AES output connects to the XLR input of my DAC.

Since I put an iFi nano iUSB in between the UltraRendu and the converter everything runs perfectly.

So finally my trouble is solved and I do not think that there is or was a real problem with either the UltraRendu or the LPS-1.

Thanks again for your help!

Charlie

22 minutes ago, vunthom said:

Since I put an iFi nano iUSB in between the UltraRendu and the converter everything runs perfectly.

So finally my trouble is solved and I do not think that there is or was a real problem with either the UltraRendu or the LPS-1.

Thanks again for your help!

Charlie

That's great Charlie!  Thank you for reporting back.  Enjoy all your fine audio toys!  :)

Best,

--Alex C.

• 2 weeks later...

@Superdad

Do know if it’s OK to feed two LPS-1 to from one Sbooster BOTW P&P ECO 9V – 10V, set to 9 Volt and 2.35A as shown in the user manual linked to beneath 

https://www.sbooster.com/images/bestanduploaden/Manual BOTW P&P ECO EN update 270217.pdf

When reading your website, I’m afraid the answer is no. 

Is there any reasonable priced LPS you can recommend to power my 3 LPS-1 ? Thinking of using Y-splitters. 

I guess I would need 6A at 9V or 4.5A at 12V ?

Any reason not to use HDplex ?

7 hours ago, R1200CL said:

I guess I would need 6A at 9V or 4.5A at 12V ?

I would go for 7A/9V or 5A/12V to leave margin.  Not that the LPS-1 ever draws that continuously, and the charge cycles for 3 units will most likely always be somewhat out of phase.  

7 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Any reason not to use HDplex ?

Yes there is. We have had several people destroy their LPS-1s with HDPlex units that sporadically put out over 13V (and not just from the 12V output).  The LPS-1 will not tolerate that and there is a specific chip that will get a hole blown in it from input spikes much above 12V.  Such is not covered by our warranty.

I don't mean to single out the HDPlex--it seems a good value and I know they provide terrific customer support--but when 6 out of the 10 damaged LPS-1 boards we have seen were from customers using an HDPlex...