IGNORED

iDefender3.0 (Official) - USB Ground Loop Eliminator

iDEFENDER3.0

idef.jpg

The iDEFENDER3.0 solves the common ground loop/hum. It ‘breaks’ the ground loop but in a, proper and electrically safe way Just add iPOWER 5v to inject clean power at the source.

Break ground loops the correct way.

iDefender3.0 with IsoEarth®

125.jpg

Use upstream at the audio source.

Because USB is bi-directional.

126.jpg

Latest USB3.0 standard.

For optimum performance.

124.jpg

Cut-off noisy power.

Inject pure, clean iPOWER 5v.

123.jpg

Overview.jpg

The iDefender3.0 protects against the common problems of ground loop noise and noisy USB power (if used with optional external iPower 5V).

As USB is bi-directional, it is important to address noise issues upstream as well as downstream.

Common USB noise problems addressed by the iDefender are:

2. [*=center]Breaks noisy ground-loops. Significantly reduces system noise floor and makes for better dynamic contrast, warmth and resolution
    [*=center]Disconnects the USB Power from the PC and replaces it with a clean external power (optional iPower* 5V for ultra low noise)
    [*=center]USB3.0 port technology – most advanced and highest USB specification

The iDefender, just like its iUSB power sibling, brings usb port noise at the computer from a typical 100uV down to 1uV. So a 100x reduction that is quieter than a 9v battery.

128.jpg

Beneath the compact exterior, the iDefender is feature-rich, with the latest iFi technology.

To be used directly at the Source such as the PC usb port, it breaks ground loops and cuts the noisy USB power line. From computer audiophiles, musicians, home studio artists to pro audio customers, it improves audio playback quality at home and on-the-go.

*To obtain the best result, the optional iPower 5V is recommended.

USB is bi-directional, pays to look upstream

126.jpg

Unlike SPDIF which is directional, even as the USB logo itself illustrates, USB is bi-directional.

Therefore, despite more efforts and benefits to looking downstream such as at the DAC end, we believe it is also beneficial to look upstream at the source.

The iDefender3.0 solves one quite common issue found with either:

1. Multiple earths

2. No earth

That is a ground loop which manifests itself as an audible ‘hum.’

The iDefender3.0 cuts the ground loop AND also offers the ability to inject a clean 5v power supply via the micro USB port at the side.

For computer audio enthusiasts to professional recording studio engineers, the iDefender3.0 slves these two issues in one fell swoop.

Break the noisy USB power, but in the correct way

125.jpg

There are more than a few products that break the USB Power connection, but of the ones known to us, they do very little because the noisy ground connection remains. This is quite a major oversight in our opinion.

For DAC's that do not use USB Power (except for handshake) the iDefender3.0 breaks the ground connection eliminating earth loops, while allowing normal handshake operation to continue. So in terms of cutting out the noise, it does it in the most comprehensive way possible while at the same time, in an electrically correct way.

USB3.0 technology, at the cutting-edge

124.jpg

It is now a hallmark of all the latest iFi signal and power products to be USB3.0 standard. First USB3.0 is backwards compatible with USB2.0. Second, in terms of the specifications, USB3.0 is superior to USB2.0 eg the wire gauge specification is more exhaustive and the connections are better.

Need clean power? Inject iPower ‘quieter than battery’ technology

123.jpg

As the iDefender3.0 breaks the noisy power supply, this is it for DACs with an internally-powered USB line.

But for DAC's that use USB Power a separate power connection is provided to feed in a 5V DC Supply - this is needed to break the ground connection, as long as the DAC tries to draw USB power from the Source instead the ground cannot be isolated.

With a noise floor that of 1uV, the iPower is a new-breed of near silent DC-power supply. Low power consumption and low-noise.

With 12-Element Array on the output and 6-Element Array technology on the input, there is next to no noise supplied and ‘leaked’ back out to nearby devices.

Specifications:

Super-Speed USB3.0 (and USB2.0 backwards compatible)

Connectors: USB3.0 gold-plated connectors

Dimensions: 48 (l) x 18 (w) x 8 mm (h)

Weight: 6.5g (0.23oz)

Warranty period: 12 months

The EU retail price: €49 incl VAT

The US retail price: $45 ex-tax

127.jpg

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

Is it true that this device will drop both the ground and +5v vbus signal post USB handshake effectively making a 4 conductor usb cable a two conductor cable?

No, it's main objective is to break ground loops.

What you describe would not work with a majority of USB DACs as the "handshake" generally is needed permanently, removing USB power is taken as "detach" signal.

No, it's main objective is to break ground loops.

What you describe would not work with a majority of USB DACs as the "handshake" generally is needed permanently, removing USB power is taken as "detach" signal.

Got it, thanks! So how does this device break ground loops? Does that mean that it provides galvanic isolation from one side to the other?

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Got it, thanks! So how does this device break ground loops? Does that mean that it provides galvanic isolation from one side to the other?

iDefender3.0 breaks groundloops (which is however where > 90% of the benefit of a galvanic isolator over other "gizmo's" comes from) and only that. It is not a galvanic Isolator.

If we had a USB 3.0 capable galvanic isolator, rest assured that we'd be trumpeting this fact from really high tower and it would likely set you back a trifle more than 50 USD :)

Also waiting to get one myself.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

The iDSD Nano is like that, right?

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

The iDSD Nano is like that, right?

The iDSD nano requires Vbus for source detection. Vbus cannot be disconnected.

However, the circuit used means that if the iDSD nano is in battery mode, V-Bus is in effect disconnected internally, it leaves only a very high impedance sensing node, which does not conduct noise into the iDSD nano.

If using the iDefender and iDSD nano in battery mode, the same holds.

If permanent installation and continuous operation is required, attaching a 5V DC supply to the iDefender (we of course recommend the iPower 5V) allows the iDSD nano to charge while breaking both USB ground and V-Bus lines.

If permanent installation and continuous operation is required, attaching a 5V DC supply to the iDefender (we of course recommend the iPower 5V) allows the iDSD nano to charge while breaking both USB ground and V-Bus lines.

OK, to complete the thought above, are you saying the vbus and ground are switched to the external PS and by implication disconnected from the PC vbus and ground?

So that leaves only the d+ and d- conductors connected between PC and the iDefender output?

OK, to complete the thought above, are you saying the vbus and ground are switched to the external PS and by implication disconnected from the PC vbus and ground?

So that leaves only the d+ and d- conductors connected between PC and the iDefender output?

Not exactly like that, because if it was done - again the handshake between DAC and PC would not be possible. It takes avert specific and special trick to achieve breaking ground loops, but not at the same time create problems. That "trick" how to do it is our little secret, I hope you can understand.

Please just get an iDefender from one of our partners that allow no quibble returns and try it.

Sorry, if I don't know how it operates when playing music, I don't know how to integrate it in the optimal fashion.

I think the info is already helpful as it now is: it will break the GND connection safely, and also allow immunity from the 5V lines disturbances while allowing you to inject your own +5V from iFi or another, Linear PSU.

Sounds like a great thing my my iDSD Nano (1st Gen)!.

Thanks AMR/iFi.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I think the info is already helpful as it now is: it will break the GND connection safely, and also allow immunity from the 5V lines disturbances while allowing you to inject your own +5V from iFi or another, Linear PSU.

Sounds like a great thing my my iDSD Nano (1st Gen)!.

Thanks AMR/iFi.

YashN, I am thinking about running an LPS1 through this device to power an IFI microIDSD. But, I don't want to waste the galvanic isolation provided by the LPS1 if there is going to be leakage from/through the IDefender back to the PC. As I have another, more expensive, way to ensure galvanic isolation without the IDefender, and IFI won't tell us how this device works, this means I must take the more expensive route.

Too bad. If the IDefender does indeed protect the galvanic isolation provided by the LPS1 it would be a great value.

Yes Craig but for me it's a little strange as I have said I use my phone as my computer player....

I modded a cable to run the 5V off a 20000mah power bank Battery. I assume my phone off battery is cleaner than a PC 5v....

Power bank has an intona and IFI IPURIFIER 2 in series after it. It kills my phone battery otherwise..... and to try to see if a separate power source improves clarity ie no wifi cell noise from the internal electronics... Hard to tell but it means days of battery life now...

Many have mentioned lifting the ground on after handshake to the dac...others 5v and GND. My ESS Dac needs power so I bought the bits for a short usb cable with a dip switch...just waiting 1 part..... But the I defender does this for me and I never knew there was a safety factor???

It can allow me to use a separate 5v power bank and internal ground lift ( I think) automatically or equivalent. . ISO ground tech....

I will try the diy one for any sound variation...Shame my I defender isn't here yet to try it out...

I apologise if I am repeating myself. .hard to remember where and what I posted across sites and threads. ...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Computer Audiophile mobile app