IGNORED

I2S interface

Hello folks

I decided to buy an I2S capable DAC the next month (Holo Spring Level 3).

I'm looking for an interface to use the I2S connection of this DAC, my main concern is sound quality, my system is very revealing (DIY T2 with Mullard tubes and Stax SR-009 headphones).

What gives the best sound quality?

A noiseless PC (more or less 1400€) and a Singxer SU-1 (400€), or a Wyre4Sound MS-2 music server (3500€ with 2tb SSD)?

I'm not interested on usb or s/pdif solutions, no matter how good, I want to use the native format of the DAC (I2S)

Hello folks

I'm looking for an interface to use the I2S connection of this DAC, my main concern is sound quality, my system is very revealing (DIY T2 with Mullard tubes and Stax SR-009 headphones).

A noiseless PC (more or less 1400€) and a Singxer SU-1 (400€), or a Wyre4Sound MS-2 music server (3500€ with 2tb SSD)?

I'm not interested on usb or s/pdif solutions, no matter how good, I want to use the native format of the DAC (I2S)

I2S is a short haul interface meant for use on PCB's. You'll have to feed it with a long haul interface like S/PDif, TOSLink, USB, AES/EBU etc...

You are missing the fundamentals of how the I2S interface is meant to be used.

There are numerous discussions and some projects using i2s in DIY Audio forum .

See also Teleporter Digital Transfer Module

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

The i2s is using an HDMI port, and therefore likely balanced i2s which is more robust and uses HDMI cabling.

I2S is a short haul interface meant for use on PCB's. You'll have to feed it with a long haul interface like S/PDif, TOSLink, USB, AES/EBU etc...

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

You are contradicting yourself then or spoke too soon. Previously you stated i2s was for "the short haul" neglecting to consider that someone is using the more modern balanced variant.

It may be a 30 yr old standard, but single ended i2s is still the standard used internally in most DACs and the most direct connection possible despite the sensitive signals. When it is available, it is likely one of the best connections- source dependent of course.

Correct. HDMI represents one of the long haul options for I2S. I2S is a serial interface for going between IC's on a PCB.

It's 30 year old standard now.

Forrest:

I use something akin to this and love it!

Hydra Z | Audiobyte

Hello folks

Forrest:

You are contradicting yourself then or spoke too soon. Previously you stated i2s was for "the short haul" neglecting to consider that someone is using the more modern balanced variant.

It may be a 30 yr old standard, but single ended i2s is still the standard used internally in most DACs and the most direct connection possible despite the sensitive signals. When it is available, it is likely one of the best connections- source dependent of course.

You still have to get the signal on the bus and what the poster linked to doesn't do very much for that.

I think recommending the HiFiBerry would be the way to go as a way of getting the shortest possible signal chain.

Is the variant you speak of an IEEE or ISO standard? What IC's implement it natively?

As I understand it implementations can vary. For example my AudioAlchemy DAC and Streamer offer an I2S connection between them and it's a DIN plug not HDMI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

As I understand it implementations can vary. For example my AudioAlchemy DAC and Streamer offer an I2S connection between them and it's a DIN plug not HDMI.

What I'm asking is it an actual standard recognized by an official body like the IEEE or ISO?

Hello folks

The W4S music server is probably using a USB to i2s circuit to generate its LVDS i2s output.

They did not describe the interface properly. The HDMI output on these devices is LVDS i2s which is meant to be used over a longer distance.

He wants to use the Holo Spring Level 3 DAC which supports the PS Audio specification. The Gustard uses a slightly different specification.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h5PMUBkldkpt1rCnAR4ZHYGZNeCe-vwIFyKWYMZWsX0/edit#gid=853411704

He wants to use the Holo Spring Level 3 DAC which supports the PS Audio specification. The Gustard uses a slightly different specification.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h5PMUBkldkpt1rCnAR4ZHYGZNeCe-vwIFyKWYMZWsX0/edit#gid=853411704

Yes, and the Singxer has dip switches on its bottom panel to configure either.

You still have to get the signal on the bus and what the poster linked to doesn't do very much for that.

I think recommending the HiFiBerry would be the way to go as a way of getting the shortest possible signal chain.

Is the variant you speak of an IEEE or ISO standard? What IC's implement it natively?

I'm not against this for a simple system. However, it's not likely going to replace a Holo Spring Level 3 DAC. You might also want to ready this about the issues with the i2s output on the Pi:

The Raspberry Pi: Audio out through I2S | Dimdim's Blog

The AudioAlchemy Streamer uses a Pi at its core. The i2s output is CMOS / TTL level and also not compatible with the Holo Spring Level 3 DAC.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h5PMUBkldkpt1rCnAR4ZHYGZNeCe-vwIFyKWYMZWsX0/edit#gid=196170109

I advice Holo to make a LVDS polarity switch feature like PS Audio will do on their next DS firmware update.

That helps with compatibility on their device. Sad they have to change the specification to accept incoming signals from those who don't play nice in the sand box.