IGNORED

Active Kef LS50

I thought that I would give an update on my KEF LS50 Mk2's.

The good news is that they do sound very good. They have different qualities than the previous system that they replaced (Yggdrasil/Linear Tube Audio/ Omega Audio). They are very clear with good detail but not as "spooky" clear as the previous system. They are a bit more dynamic and have a broader sound stage. Since they replaced a lot of expensive separates and yards of cable they are a great value. I do still have a pair of SVS subs connected to them.

I am using the coax input from my original front end which uses an Audiolinux NUC Roon endpoint to a Mutec USB with REF10 clock plus an EtherRegen. This basically gives me a RAAT front end. I use the HDMI input to take eARC audio out of my Sony Bravia TV. This sounds really great with movies.

They market the Mk2 as Roon Ready but it not there yet. They qualify that as "Coming Soon" in another part of their documentation. This is misleading.

The short version is that I am enjoying them but they need to finish their tweaking. They did release a new firmware version a couple of days ago. 

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well April is here. I realize that April is still 30 days long but I am pretty much done with KEF for encouraging buyers with the Roon Ready "Coming Soon" marketing.

I contacted the vendor that I purchased from and they have agreed to take my speakers back with a 10% restock and just $12 for shipping the two heavy speakers and the KEF stands. I am way past the company standard return policy and I would have lost a LOT more money if I tried to sell them.

Two reasons prompted my decision. First, the vaporware marketing by KEF. It has been over 6 months since their Roon "Coming Soon" product "launch". The second reason is that to me they sound good but not great. I would not call them "Giant Killers" but it depends upon what you are used to.

They probably sound better than what your could get in separates for $3200 (streamer/DAC/Preamp/amp/speakers/cables). If you sell off some really good gear you may feel regret. My previous Linear Tube Audio and Omega Audio equipment was much better, although a lot more expensive. I should add that my listening impressions include using the KEF coax input with an expensive Roon(RAAT)front end which most likely exceeds what they will be able to achieve with their Roon firmware and built-in DAC.

If you need to downsize or just want to simplify these new LS50s may well suit you but I would suggest waiting until KEF has actually pushed out the Roon Ready firmware update before buying. They could certainly be satisfying for casual listening and for TV.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

On 3/31/2021 at 11:28 PM, mourip said:

Well April is here. I realize that April is still 30 days long but I am pretty much done with KEF for encouraging buyers with the Roon Ready "Coming Soon" marketing.

Hardware, firmware, software, vapourware.