IGNORED

Active Kef LS50

I realize this was not the purpose of the Kef wireless but I would have bought a pair if the analog inputs allowed use of other dacs and didn't digitize the signal and use the Kef speaker Dac . I like flexibility .

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Not possible because of the the DSP involved. It has to be a tight, closed ecosystem.

Oh, and its not exactly Wireless. Its wifi/Bluetooth Wireless input, But each speaker has a power cord and between them you need an ethernet cable.

Its better to call them Active/wifi speakers.

Not possible because of the the DSP involved. It has to be a tight, closed ecosystem.

Oh, and its not exactly Wireless. Its wifi/Bluetooth Wireless input, But each speaker has a power cord and between them you need an ethernet cable.

Its better to call them Active/wifi speakers.

Yeah I suspected as much .

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

I realize this was not the purpose of the Kef wireless but I would have bought a pair if the analog inputs allowed use of other dacs and didn't digitize the signal and use the Kef speaker Dac . I like flexibility .

Totally hear you on that - but I think the complication is that for reasons of cost, size, and sound quality, they appear to be handing the crossover, and probably DSP to compensate for any frequency non-linearities in the drivers, in the digital domain. So since it's going through DSP anyway, they probably figured, Why go digital-analog-digital-analog by having folks hook up their own DACs?

Again, I understand your concern and desire to have your own DAC for sonic reasons, DSD capability, and/or future-proofing. It's definitely a tradeoff either way.

I have had these speakers for a few weeks now. I replaced my entire 5.1 system with them for home theater and for music. I felt the need to streamline all of that for various reasons.

Of course they sound amazing. I have them connected to my Samsung JS 9000 TV by optical and the TV has an Apple TV connected to it's one connect box so I can Airplay to it. I have also used the Kef app to play from iTunes and Flac files from Plex via DLNA. I have also connected directly from my MacBook Pro using a USB cable with Tidal MQA which really sounds great. Next I'm connecting my Meridian Explorer Dac which I just got to the Analog ports so I get the full MQA unfold.

I talked to Kef technical support with some questions and they said that MQA and Roon support are coming and that alot of people have asked for both. So that will be awesome and I think Im going to have to get a bedroom set when it does. I've been using Vanatoo one speakers and a 3rd gen Apple TV connected by optical to airplay to it in the bedroom but those sound muddy and indistinct now compared to the Kefs.

I talked to Kef technical support with some questions and they said that MQA and Roon support are coming and that alot of people have asked for both.

Awesome is right! What a great setup that will be! Simple, very highend sound using those two speakers, wow! Roon, MQA, Tidal into an MQA capable built in Dac in those speakers sounds like a dream. Under $2500 for everything? Crazy.

David

I know it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison due to the streaming capabilities, but has anyone compared the active KEF LS50 to some of the recent Genelec DSP (83xx) models of similar price? I am asking because I am purchasing a system that I want to last me for at least 5-6 years and something very compact would be ideal. The room is roughly 20x30 with 9 ft ceilings, but the listening area would be at one end and would be approx 20x20. I figure I would need a sub, but will these be able to fill that space? The Genelecs have the advantage of the GLM with room correction and possible integration with a sub. The KEFs have the advantage of audiophile pedigree, cuteness and slickness, and the possibility Roon integration. Anyone familiar with some of the recent Genelecs and these new KEF actives?

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

Deleted

You deleted your post so maybe you gave up on the Kefs but read the FAQ they put up shortly after these speakers were released. You have to use specific wifi channels. There is an entire section on wifi.

http://us.kef.com/ls50-wireless

Avoid locating your router network on Channel 1 of a 2.4Ghz network.

LS50 Wireless only supports 5.2 GHz Channel 36, 40, 44, 48 (in Taiwan 5.8GHz Channel 149, 153, 157, 161, 165).

You deleted your post so maybe you gave up on the Kefs but read the FAQ they put up shortly after these speakers were released. You have to use specific wifi channels. There is an entire section on wifi.

http://us.kef.com/ls50-wireless

Avoid locating your router network on Channel 1 of a 2.4Ghz network.

LS50 Wireless only supports 5.2 GHz Channel 36, 40, 44, 48 (in Taiwan 5.8GHz Channel 149, 153, 157, 161, 165).

Thanks Darwin. I deleted the post because I believe I resolved the issue. I haven't had the chance to fully test it out but at least for now it appears to be fixed.

Thomas

Thomas Turner

SPEAKERS - Snell Type C/V | PREAMP/DAC -  Project Pre Box S2 Digital  | SOURCE - Auralic Aries Mini | ROOM TREATMENT - LEDE, bass traps @ Rear of room, acoustic panels @ 1st reflections point: side walls | AMPLIFIER - Acurus A100

I bought a pair to put in my kitchen. I play a lot of music there and have been using a Meridian F80 connected via a 3rd gen Apple TV to it's optical input. This is a clearly a huge step up. I was skeptical of the looks and was hesitant to even get a pair based on the looks. I am very surprised, they look great to me and am very happy with the titanium/red combo I got. I also have a pair of Dynaudio Xeo 3s in my bedroom. I tried them in the kitchen for a while to see if I liked better sound there before getting the Kefs.

I'm kind of bummed that the LS50 doesn't support Airplay since that is the main way I get music to my remote systems. It would have been nice to do away with the Apple TV. Maybe it's something they can add in the future? The sound is great and comparable to the Xeo 3. I'd say if you like Dyaudio sound in general better than Kef you'll probably also like the xeo better than the LS50 wireless. I like them both the LS50 is more detailed and resolving I'd say and not quite as warm as the Xeo.

One thing that is bugging me is I'm not seeing a way to be able to leave these on at all times. They turn off after some time of non use. The Xeos do also but they wake themselves back up when you start to play music. The LS50 does not seem to do this. The manual doesn't say much. I'm hoping there is a way to either put these in a sleep/wake up mode or just leave them on at all times. It's not very convenient to have to turn them on each time I use them.

• 2 weeks later...
One thing that is bugging me is I'm not seeing a way to be able to leave these on at all times. They turn off after some time of non use. The Xeos do also but they wake themselves back up when you start to play music. The LS50 does not seem to do this. The manual doesn't say much. I'm hoping there is a way to either put these in a sleep/wake up mode or just leave them on at all times. It's not very convenient to have to turn them on each time I use them.

You are correct ejlif, the LS50 Wireless's do not auto wake up. You can however increase the timeout time. I got this trick from Erwin @ Darko's website.

Push and hold the desk/standby button on the back for 5 seconds changes the auto-off setting to 60 minutes.

Push and hold the wall/free space button for 5 seconds changes this setting to the default 20 minutes.

I know this isn't a solution to your problem, but maybe it will ameliorate it somewhat...

Thomas Turner

SPEAKERS - Snell Type C/V | PREAMP/DAC -  Project Pre Box S2 Digital  | SOURCE - Auralic Aries Mini | ROOM TREATMENT - LEDE, bass traps @ Rear of room, acoustic panels @ 1st reflections point: side walls | AMPLIFIER - Acurus A100

stereo.jpg

I am intrigued by the active KEF LS50s, but have little experience with small speakers of this quality. I am considering putting them in my new basement media room, which is fairly large. It is in the area outlined in red in this image (sorry for the mess; it's the only plan I could find). Ignore the furniture, which does not exist. I would place the listening position close to the speakers. Would the fact that the room is fairly large affect sound quality much, even though the listener(s) would be close to the speakers? The two positions I am considering are marked with green arrows. A couch or chairs would sit perhaps six feet back (although this is highly flexible).The measures of the slightly L-shaped room are circled in yellow. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33395[/ATTACH]

I am intrigued by the active KEF LS50s, but have little experience with small speakers of this quality. I am considering putting them in my new basement media room, which is fairly large. It is in the area outlined in red in this image (sorry for the mess; it's the only plan I could find). Ignore the furniture, which does not exist. I would place the listening position close to the speakers. Would the fact that the room is fairly large affect sound quality much, even though the listener(s) would be close to the speakers? The two positions I am considering are marked with green arrows. A couch or chairs would sit perhaps six feet back (although this is highly flexible).The measures of the slightly L-shaped room are circled in yellow. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

You'd get sound of course out of that setup, but unfortunately your listening position nor the speaker placement are optimal for these speakers for the following reasons:

• Distance to listening position
  • Listening Position

I'd suggest you put the speakers on front wall facing the couch that the left speaker is facing. Or re-position the couch to face the other wall where the right speaker is. Either of those speaker position will give you an equidistant speaker position from the side wall which is critical to proper stereo imaging and musical sound reproduction.

Thomas Turner

You'd get sound of course out of that setup, but unfortunately your listening position nor the speaker placement are optimal for these speakers for the following reasons:

• Distance to listening position
  • Listening Position

I'd suggest you put the speakers on front wall facing the couch that the left speaker is facing. Or re-position the couch to face the other wall where the right speaker is. Either of those speaker position will give you an equidistant speaker position from the side wall which is critical to proper stereo imaging and musical sound reproduction.

Thanks for the reply. As I noted in my post, the furniture does not exist. This was the builder's original plan that I then scribbled on, and they like to stick furniture in plans. In reality, the room is just bare walls at the moment. I haven't purchased or positioned furniture, so I'm free to do as I please. I should have made it clearer that the arrows refer to two possible positions for speaker pairs, not positions for individual speakers. Given that information, and the fact that I can position speakers or couches anywhere, which wall would you recommend for the speakers?