IGNORED

Active Kef LS50

That sounds like a really interesting device - especially as they anticipated people mating it with sub(s) and included digital crossovers and DSP. I bet a pair of those with some good sub(s ) would give some very high end speakers a run for their money for a fraction of the cost.

Would love to compare against the Devialet Phantom GOLD.

• 2 weeks later...
Putting a DAC internal to the speakers allows for DSP for crossover as well as allowing room and speaker correction to improve performance further.

Yup , a Dac is a MUST here. Dac rate of improvement is falling precipitously anyway, compared to even 3 years ago.

• 1 month later...
At that pricing i will buy in the UK. I am in Africa, so i have to import no matter what i do. Rather get them out of UK if possible.

Now when can we get hold of them?

Does that tablet i linked to a few posts up make any sense as a source? Its USB-C so a USB - C to USB -A cable and the tablet should output 24/192 to the USB input of the speakers.

A tablet as source makes a lot of sense in this scenario - no DAC in the Tablet is used as the file is passed digitally via USB to the speakers and its high rez 24/192 capable being passed. Can now get 256GB Micro SD cards to go in the tablet, so plenty of room for music files. Not sure, dont know enough about all this yet. Still learning. What i do know is i want active speakers driven by a PC or tablet or similar.

Edit.....

More research lead to this about the tablet.....

" It supports 802.11ac WiFi, Bluetooth 4.2, and DTS audio with support for 24-bit/192 kHz audio output through the headset jack."

Does this ruin the idea then? The headset jack is 3.5mm. Is there a 3.5mm jack to the type of aux input cables that are found on the LS50's?

Ben get either of these Windows tablets that have FULL sized USB ports and cost way less. Universal charger, so you only need plug adapter and you can connect to speakers via Bluetooth. I use the 8" one with a DeepBlue speaker! The advantage of the 2nd full size USB port is that you charge the device with the Micro USB and output digitally via the full sized port and you can use JRiver/Roon/HQ Player/Bughead Emperor or whatever Windows based playback software you like!

https://www.amazon.com/WinBook-Tablet-Windows-full-size-Display/dp/B00S5STXLQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1481537496&sr=8-3&keywords=winbook free upgrade to Win10

and even cheaper and already Win10 and bigger screen (confirmed in comments that it has full size USB port)

https://www.amazon.com/WinBook-1280x800-Display-Storage-Windows/dp/B01LGYAIWS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481537496&sr=8-1&keywords=winbook

Having a look at those tablets.

OK so is it really just a waste of time to be trying to get 24/192 working? Perhaps its not really worth the hassle at this time? I mean, how much music is out there for this anyway? Maybe within a year or two devices will catch up and this will be much easier to achieve ?

Until then, a more basic tablet like the links point too? I just dont want to be continually looking for the next greatest. I would like to install it and forget all about what plugs into what. At least for another 5 years. By then who knows what will be the latest buzz of new tech out there

Huh?

I get all rates working on mine, even high rate DSD. Its WINDOWS, so you have kernel streaming and Asio options. You can direct connect a 2m USB cable (audiophile grade) or wifi connect as Bunno77 said.

Anyways,.... got cunning. I downloaded the user manual of the ASUS tablet.

There is precious little mention of its sound abilities other then this.....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31468[/ATTACH]

See the part about " Supports 192Khz / 24 Bit Digital USB audio output.

I take this as meaning, yes it does support 192/24 from its USB - C port. So in theory what i want to do is possible. I am a little skeptical though as there is so little mention of the tablets 192/24 ability.

But if the above statement from the manual is indeed as it is - 192/24 out the USB port then that would be the way to go when the time comes to use 192/24 - right? I have raised this several times now but no one biting...the speakers themselves only do 192/24 when fed by its USB port - i have i got that right?

Its the 13th today.... where are the LS50's ?

YoU MUST get a Windows tablet to have all your digitaal output options open and it SHOULD have a full suized USB in addition to the mini one (for charging). I find the rest of the discussion here as misdirected chatter. I actually own and have used this option....in real life, not theoretically.

Amazon releases the LS50 active in early Jan. (Date slipped). They look to be KILLER...I would go with them over the Phantom. You may want a sub, inwhich case I recommend: http://www.tbisound.com/dsp_products_subwmagvisu.asp

Windows means no restrictions. IOS and Androids are not full computers and re limited. Mac and Linux have high rate DSD restrictions.

With a Windows tablet you have a full functionality PC and will be able to used the popular Advanced players like JRiver/JPlay/Bughead/HQ P/Masterclass/Pure Music/ etc...plus other free ones. No real limitations.

I suspect that high rez PCM files will ONLY work via USB, but there is a chance that wifi may work too. DSD files can be converted to PCM on the fly in the tablet/software, so no problems there to listen to them.

Make sure the Win tablet has a full sized USB port and then you can use a 3m standard USB cable or longer (eg 10m Corning glass cable with a Regen/Intona to clean up the signal) and you can thus have the tablet with you in the listening position.

There will be ALL options open with such a Windows tablet!

they have to have such a driver or they would not tell him that USB IS THE WAY TO GO.

All dacs have to have a windows usb driver to work.

I didn't suggest the WINDOWS TABLET, I merely told him what to look for...full size usb port....after the tablet idea came up.

Corning seems optical usb cables up to 30m long.

Seriously considering a pair of these. I loved the simplicity I had with my Quad 12L actives and Dynaudio BM5AmkII and these gave gobs more connectivity and tech built in.

The McIntosh/B&W Nautilus setup was always a goal if mine and it's enjoyable but there's something I miss about the LS50s.

@Kal Rubinson did you get a chance to bounce around the sub integration settings on the app? I ran dual subs with the passive LS50s but with only one Sub Out and a highish crossover point I'm wondering if there's any benefit to two mono subs (vs stereo subs like I have now).

Try a single powered TBI Sub!

Thank you wisnon - that is very helpful information.

I have sent an email to KEF asking about 192Khz/24Bit being available on which input.

Also, when are these speakers available for purchase.

Lets see what the horses mouth has to say.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00S5STXLQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1482369844&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=WinBook&dpPl=1&dpID=51mW5DsdTIL&ref=plSrch

Sent from my SM-G935F using Computer Audiophile mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

OK so I just auditioned them...and I love 'em!

Great price, great sound, great convenience. For European in apartments, its almost PERFECT. For you yanks with tons of retail space in your home, this is an ideal 2nd system that is gentle enough on the pockets.

The new little active KEF should sell like hot cakes to the audiophile crowd living in condos in the big cities. It is the Phantom Killer. White, piano black and titanium are the colour choices. I demed the black.

They dont take up much space, play to 106 dB without subwoofer (only needed for bassheads and HT...not for normal listening...I checked with some deep plumbing organ music).

No DSD is NOT a deal-killing drawback as you can wifi or USB connect your laptop and with HQP/JRiver convert on the fly to PCM 24/192. The elegance and simplicity of the setup makes up for this minor shortfall.

Careful though, this may make you less audiophile and more musicophile given the turnkey nature of this beast! LoL

I sat in a near field position as the loudspeaker postioning was not great. They sat beside some average size floorstanders and the dealer gentleman didnt want to move too much stuff around. Originally the speakers were about 5 feet apart and he moved them closer to 6ft apart, but almost touching the floorstanders. Despite this, the imaginging was exemplary and the tweeter beats the upgraded one in the Phantom Gold. Very coherent sound, but you would expect this from a standmount, and this is a VERY good one.

The music selection were from 3 of my system demo albums. Markus Miller/Kodo Giant drums, Mussorgsky Gnomus, Fairfiled 4 Swing Low, Lofgren Keith dont go, Ozone Percussion Group, Diana Krall - Case of you, etc, were just some of the cuts played. All was done via digital out optical connection from a Cambridge Audio spinner (they only had Ethernet setup there, no wifi).

I realize this was not the purpose of the Kef wireless but I would have bought a pair if the analog inputs allowed use of other dacs and didn't digitize the signal and use the Kef speaker Dac . I like flexibility .

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Not possible because of the the DSP involved. It has to be a tight, closed ecosystem.

Oh, and its not exactly Wireless. Its wifi/Bluetooth Wireless input, But each speaker has a power cord and between them you need an ethernet cable.

Its better to call them Active/wifi speakers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I am tempted to simplify my life but I am more excited on the Kii 3. However, given your feedback I am surely open now to the idea of test drive the little KEF's.

Not in the same price range. The Kii will do much lower bass, but costs 5X as much! Great feedback over at Audioshark.org forum too.