IGNORED

Active Kef LS50

I've just bought a pair of white LS50 Wireless speakers with the new performance stands and the combination looks stunning. I've filled the middle compartment and  front one of the stands with Atacama Atabites, and they are sitting on Atacama shoes. The speakers are still very much running in and it is too early to judge the sound, but there was certainly a significant jump in quality when I added the Atabites, and I would recommend the combination - you need just over three tubs to fill the stands.

I would prefer it if the cables that come with the white speakers were white, as the black cables spoil the visual effect a bit. Once the speakers are run in, I'm going to get a 5m Chord C-Streamer cable as it's white and will look better - I'll be interested to find out if it makes any difference to the sound but I'm mainly interested in them looking better. I may get a pair of IsoTek EVO3 Sequel Power Cables as they are white and 2m long although a bit pricier the the Evo Premier 3s that I use in my other systems.

I'm having two technical problems so far.

The first problem is that I set up the speaker with the iPad app for an IP address of 192.168.1.206 and my LAN, and then after configuring the router to give it a fixed IP address of 192.168.1.12 the iPad app can't find it anymore. I can scan the network with Fing and clearly the speaker is there with the new IP addess, and so I'm not sure what search criteria the iPad and Android KEF apps use to find the speakers on the LAN.

My second problem is that I can only play Red Book CD files with a Raspberry Pi running Moode Audio. When I try higher res files I get loads of crackling, even with 24/48 not just 24/192. I was using a Cardas Clear cable initially and tried changing to a Chord C-USB and also the USB cable that came with the speakers and they all suffered from the same problem. Yet my Android Motorola G5 with USB Pro Audio with an Audioquest OTG cable and the Cardas Clear works just fine. I really can't see how it could be a problem with the Moode Audio set up as I use it with several different DACs and have never had the slightest trouble.

On the bright side, the hardware volume control works fine with Moode which is really useful as it gives you a number which tells you how loud the volume is, which is missing from the display on the right speaker.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

23 minutes ago, semente said:

I would caution you against making all those changes, and doing them at once, before your new speakers are run-in and you've gotten acquainted with their sound.

One of the unwritten Golden Rules of Good Audio Practice states that one should only change a single variable at a time if we are to obtain meaninful information from our listening assessments. Change too things at a time and your clueless about which/what did or did not produce an audible effect.

Yes, you are correct and I have enough personal experience to confirm your point. But later in my post when I talk about possibly upgrading to horribly expensive mains leads 'because they are white' I do say " Once the speakers are run in.." because I would need to be pretty certain that the speakers are giving my such a high level of sound quality that a 500 pound expenditure on the cables was justified.

With respect to putting some sort of high density filler in the KEF Performance stands, I would say it was a 'no brainer' and it only comes down to whether it should be sand, Atabites or a similar product. Even with my partly run in speakers, the Atabite improvement was clearly very audible, whereas I would only ever attempt to judge possible mains cable improvements on the 'one thing at a time, when the speakers are fully run in and a known quantity' basis as you advocate.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

48 minutes ago, bunno77 said:

If you're only worried about the colour of the cables then there are a few products to sort that out. Expandable cable sleeving and there is wrap around too. Very cheap and pretty much comes in ever colour possible

https://www.ebay.com.au/b/Braided-Cable-Sleeving-Cable-Guards/155057/bn_72172560

Thanks for the info, but I think by and large I would rather replace a cable if I didn't like the color, rather than wrap it in new sleeving. I also have a problem with the 3m right to left link cable in that it is too short to use with the cable management of the Performance stands if I have a seperation of the speakers of 2m - I think I need at least 4m and so a 5m Chord C-Streamer cable will fix that and allow the link cable to be hidden under a carpet.

5 hours ago, Fridolin said:

I feel with you!

I've also got the performance stands and replaced all cables with white ones.

The only exception was the optical cable for which i found no white replacement.

What i find a little disappointing: The stands color doesn't quite match the white of the speakers. I'll bring them to the car varnisher to repaint them.

But i love the cable management and the chance to fill them with sand.

And they really look good to me. 

I think the color of the stands matches pretty exactly the off white finish of the front panel of the speakers, and isn't intended to match the brilliant gloss white of the main body of the speakers. I'm interested in hearing which types of white cable you bought, and if they were 'audiophile' ones. I certainly think that Atabites are a lot more dense than sand, but it is pretty difficult to do an AB comparison.

I haven't solved the crackling problem that I'm getting with Hi Res files yet. I would like to upgrade the firmware, but that needs a Mac or a Windows computer which I haven't got in the flat where the speakers are. My work laptop has a Windows partition, although I always use it with Linux, and I need to find how to login to that and use the laptop for a firmware upgrade.

The LS50s are running a web server, and according to that, the firmware is p6.1131702141.103217421, which doesn't seem to correspond to version numbers that people have been refering to on this thread. I had a quite look at the source of the index.html page, but didn't manage to see any clues as to how the network upgrade option might work.

10 hours ago, y26day said:

Three tubs of 7.5Kg each?

was looking at the Performance stand as well but how full did you filled in each stand?

Btw, anyone knows where to get some discount on the stand,  please PM me.  :)

It doesn't actually state the weight on the tubs, but they are labelled 'SMD-Z 7.5HD' and I assume the '7.5' refers to 7.5kg. I filled the cavities completely to the top with the help of a small plastic funnel, and then stuck the black circular stickers provided with the stands over the holes.

22 hours ago, Fridolin said:

My stands are quite a bit more beige than the speaker fronts.

Maybe the speakers will become beige, too.

I didn't choose my white cables for audio quality but only for eye-candy.

But i changed each of the cables of my fully connected LS50w(s).

So the cables probably would become more expensive than the speakers with really high audio quality.

Is the Atacama Atabites really more heavy and dense than quartz sand?

Did you fill the entire height of the stands or part of them?

You can't update the speaker firmware over ethernet or WiFi.

A USB connection from the computer to the speakers is needed.

According to the Atacama site "Atabites has an approximate density of 2403 KG/m sq. compared to dry sand which has a typical rating of just 1442 KG/m sq."  http://www.atacama-audio.co.uk/p/atabites-smd-z-7-5hd-inert-filler 

I've just read that they say you should fill the stands to two thirds of the volume of the stands, and I filled them right up to the top - bother! I wish they had written some instructions about that on the tubs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/12/2017 at 10:50 PM, Richard Dale said:

Thanks for the info, but I think by and large I would rather replace a cable if I didn't like the color, rather than wrap it in new sleeving. I also have a problem with the 3m right to left link cable in that it is too short to use with the cable management of the Performance stands if I have a seperation of the speakers of 2m - I think I need at least 4m and so a 5m Chord C-Streamer cable will fix that and allow the link cable to be hidden under a carpet.

I bought 5 meter Chord C-Stream cable which is white and a nice match for the speaker, and it works perfectly.

I had pops and crackles with a Raspberry Pi running Moode audio with non-red book music files. I tried Rune instead and that worked just fine. I'm not sure exactly what the problem with Moode is as I've used it was several DACs and B&W MM1s with no trouble at all.

I bought a Linksys WRT1900ACS router and Netgear DM200 modem to replace my cheapo BrightBox router that EE provided for my broadband. I flashed OpenWRT onto the router and then installed minidlna and plugged a USB drive directly into the router's USB3 input. It is a great combination and uses also none of the router's CPU. I converted my playlists that I had in Moode and Rune to use absolute paths, and they work perfectly with the KEF app. I bought an iPad app called 'Glider' which has a really  simple interface, with the album art looking nice and with an A-Z index for albums and artists which is an improvement over the KEF app. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to find my playlists, and so I'll use the KEF app for those, and Glider for playing individual albums.

I've also started adding acoustic treatment to my listening room with a stack of three Vicoustic Super Bass Extrema bass traps in the corners behind the speakers, and that has cleaned up the sound somewhat, although I think the speaker are still running in. I intend to put some GIK panels on the side walls next and that should be a big improvement - the KEFs are driving a large (4m x 10m by 3m high) room really well.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Guido Del Giudice said:

What sub are you guys using successfully with the KEF LS50Ws?

I want to integrate a sub to free the KEFs from having to play the very low bass frequencies but my previous attempts using an Adam Audio 8 sub have been unsuccessful ....it is a cheaper sub and just simply sounds boomy unless I turn it way down almost to the point of not being there at all. I do not want to spend a fortune on a sub, perhaps something second hand might do....any suggestions?

Also what settings do you guys use on your sub integrations?

I use a white KEF R400b with my pair of white LS50Ws and it is a perfect visual and sonic match. I cross the sub over at 70 Hz, and the LS50s are set with the the high pass at 70 Hz too. I don't know if that means that the response is flat, and it would be nice to have some guidance from KEF about the best settings for  this combination. It means the system can go pretty effortlessly loud in a large room, and the main speakers no longer have to work so hard try to output the bass frequencies below 70 Hz. I have the R400b on an IsoAcoustics sub stand and the bass is very tight, dynamic and clean - it also blends in well with the main speakers.

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, Tait said:

Thought I'd revive this thread by describing the improvements that adding an Innuos Phoenix has done to my LS50's and MK2 Zenith server setup.

The improvement is not subtle.

Soundstage has improved by quite some margin, instruments now seem to have their own space; the noise floor has dropped as I'm hearing things which I've never heard before; timing has improved (feets tapping a lot more!); The top end has a lovely shimmer to it.

Yes it's expensive, but having listened to it for a few weeks now, I can say it's the best upgrade I've made.

Definitely worth a look for anyone that has the KEFs but is looking to improve the sound even further.

I only use my LS50s and subwoofers with a wireless connection as it is really a ‘lifestyle’ system although on a large scale and I don’t want to have computers, USB cleaner uppers etc adding clutter. On the other hand having said that, I’m interested in what sort of scale the delta is between a high end USB input like you have, and a wireless music connection via UPnP.

1 hour ago, Tait said:

I've never listened to my KEF's via wireless so can't comment there, but the difference between streaming natively via the KEF app and my Innuos setup really is night and day.

Thanks for that. It sounds like I should try a good quality streamer from my other systems to hear for myself.

44 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

I think you just need to get away from the KEF app. I stream to the ls50w via a Roon server -- better sound and rock solid performance.

I use BubbleUPnP on Android to stream from a hard disk attached to my router which runs MiniDLNA. I assume that the KEF app uses the same mechanism and should sound the same. I need to experiment with different ways of driving the LS50s, but I’m currently not a Roon subscriber.