IGNORED

Active Kef LS50

54 minutes ago, mourip said:

On my desktop I opted to drive them using their analog input coming from my Schiit Yggdrasil DAC. In my case this obviously does not take advantage of some of their "wireless" features but they sound remarkable. My DAC goes to 24/192 so I am also able to take advantage of a slightly higher resolution over the built-in DAC. I chose to connect them together using the ethernet "interconnect". In a different environment you could get great sound with just one power cable going to each speaker and Wi-Fi connectivity.

Doesn't that mean you are doing 2 lots of conversions? I was told the internal dac cannot be bypassed - so analogue input gets converted to digital to be processed.

Is my understanding wrong?

David

MacMini, Mytek Manhattan I DAC, Avantone The Abbey Monitors, Roon

I had read quite a few users reporting that they felt feeding to the analogue via an external dac sounded better. It was when I mentioned this to a dealer that he expressed surprise and informed me that the analogue gets internally converted to digital anyway.

Your experience of better sound quality does not seem uncommon, though why that should be may be harder to explain.

Happy listening.

David

MacMini, Mytek Manhattan I DAC, Avantone The Abbey Monitors, Roon